Yarra Supermarket

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Egypt

Yarra Supermarket

Post by hatusu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 am

I went into Yarra on the West Bank near the ferry to buy some chocolate - the Moro bars. They are 2LE in Arkwrights and at the supermarket in Gurna. 5LE in Yarra so I walked out, after telling him why. I heard him shouting "But Madame...... but Madame" but didnt hang around to find out the reason for the 150% markup.

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:24 am

Ahh-h-h-h, for the pleasures of the WB!
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:08 am

aren't Moro bars 75 piasters?
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 am

Nothings as cheap as just piastres here ....................

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:44 pm

They wanted ten pounds for bisquits marked five and six pounds for a can of Fanta, so I do not go there, though if I take a car to or from the ferry, the location is perfect for me. I would be ready to pay "normal" tourist price for a refreshment in a place like that, but it would be cheaper to sit down and have a soft drink served somewhere!
:x :x :x :x :x :x
If dark skinned customers were charged extra here in Copenhagen, there would be a word for it, and I see NO difference! It is racism!
:x :x :x :x :x :x

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Do all stores in Copenhagen sell goods for exactly the same price???

It's a free market and if you don't like the prices you can go elsewhere.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17 pm

A store in a European country which charged double the normal price for goods would not stay in business very long. If it made the charges based on Ethnicity the owner would be prosecuted rather rapidly and the store would probably be closed.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Do all stores in Copenhagen sell goods for exactly the same price???

But I don't think that's the problem, it's the fact that the same store with a dual pricing policy. If the price is marked on it; that's just plain daylight robbery in my opinion. It would be a different matter if they charged everyone the inflated price.

Edit:
Meant to say that if the price is marked on it ... and then a different price is asked. Can't think and type at same time.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:28 pm

BBLUX wrote:A store in a European country which charged double the normal price for goods would not stay in business very long. If it made the charges based on Ethnicity it would be closed and the owner would be prosecuted rather rapidly.
EXACTLY! And I do go elsewhere! The bisquits cost 2,50 in other shops, were marked FIVE in Arabic and tried sold to a foreigner for ten on the free market! That is not honest, which is why I have tried to make others avoid the shop, and I hope that Hatusu is taken more seriously on the forum than I was, when this happened to me!

Glyphdoctor's husband had a young man fired - was it Alfa Supermarket? - for trying to overcharge Glyphdoctor, remember? You could just go elsewhere! :evil: Herewegoagain...

Jayway

Post by Jayway » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Hey BENNU , I love your spelling - -bisquits- - You have been watching the Mafia Panda ad for Foxes Bisquits ! :) :P :D

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Do all stores in Copenhagen sell goods for exactly the same price???

What thread are you reading? If you read the post you are referring to it clearly says that the biscuits were MARKED/PRICED at 5 Le but they wanted 10 Le at the checkout!
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Explain to me how someone can charge 10LE for something that is clearly marked 5LE. Do they point a gun at you and demand extra?

And my husband never got anyone fired at Alfa Market. I have no clue what you are talking about.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Explain to me how someone can charge 10LE for something that is clearly marked 5LE. Do they point a gun at you and demand extra?

And my husband never got anyone fired at Alfa Market. I have no clue what you are talking about.
I thought that you had once posted that someone got fired after your husband went back to complain that he overcharged you, but if you do not remember, then I am, of course, wrong.

OK, if a woman in a supermarket refuses to sell at the price marked, she does not need a gun, but I can not force her to sell it to me. Is that so difficult to understand? A week earlier I had paid three pounds for a can and three for water to a man, who had seen me many times before, and wanted to see me as a regular costumer. She doubled the price, and I made a scene, but I had not brought my gun that day.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Jayway wrote:Hey BENNU , I love your spelling - -bisquits- - You have been watching the Mafia Panda ad for Foxes Bisquits ! :) :P :D
I do not know any other way of spelingl it :? except cremekiks, no I have not heard of Foxes or Mafia Panda. I thought it was spelled: bisquits :? ...

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 pm

BENNU wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:Explain to me how someone can charge 10LE for something that is clearly marked 5LE. Do they point a gun at you and demand extra?

I thought that you had once posted that someone got fired after your husband went back to complain that he overcharged you, but if you do not remember, then I am, of course, wrong.
I seem to remember someone being fired after a complaint but I don't remember it being at Alfa. I don't think the shop was named but was close to where she lived. I can't be bothered to look for the post to quote it.

Marcus Aurelius

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Jayway wrote:Hey BENNU , I love your spelling - -bisquits- - You have been watching the Mafia Panda ad for Foxes Bisquits ! :) :P :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I must admit that I was thinking the same thing about the Mafia Panda :) it is a really funny advertisement.
Sorry Bennu, we are not laughing at you :D it is just that we say 'Biscuits' which phonetically sounds like Bis-kits, but the cartoon Panda always calls them 'Bisquits' which sounds like Bis-kwits in a Bronx accent. ;)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:16 am

My husband did complain about something once at Khair Zaman, can't recall what it was but it wasn't overcharging, and the manager said he would penalize the offender by docking her pay, but that was the manager's decision, not my husband's.

Personally, I disagreed with that punishment because I don't believe in making someone work for nothing, no matter what they have done. Better to give them remedial training to improve their performance or if they are just so bad, fire them, but to make someone work for nothing is like slavery. However, that just goes to show you how badly the company (same one that runs Metro) manages things that they don't even take appropriate and humane steps to deal with complaints.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:43 am

Bennu's comment about being charged more by the shopgirl than she paid the week before seems to be a fairly common occurence. I go to a supermarket regularly on the West Bank. When the owner is there, he quotes the price as he packs the goods. If he isn't there, the shopgirl packs them and quotes a price, often half as much as I paid before. I just laugh and say "No way". I get an apologetic smile and the price is then reduced - whether all the way, I'm never sure. I've also heard of this going on in other shops - maybe it is a way of making up poor wages by trading on the perceived richness and/or ignorance of the ex-pat!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:14 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Personally, I disagreed with that punishment because I don't believe in making someone work for nothing, no matter what they have done. Better to give them remedial training to improve their performance or if they are just so bad, fire them, but to make someone work for nothing is like slavery. However, that just goes to show you how badly the company (same one that runs Metro) manages things that they don't even take appropriate and humane steps to deal with complaints.
Sadly that's how most companies operate, even international ones based in Egypt. Complain about your waiter and his pay gets docked, you break a glass on your table, the entire F&B staff pay for it, send your meal back, someone has to pay for it.

My mum had a to-do in a well known, many branched pharmacy in Egypt. The price on the sticker was lower by 10 LE than the price in the computer. The shop girls reply - if you don't like it, go elsewhere!

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:35 am

Although I'm not a regular visitor at the Yara Market, when I have called I've always been charged the right price for what I've bought. Funny?