CTV cafe.... dual pricing.

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

drwho

Post by drwho » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:08 pm

I suppose one day I'll learn but it's much like my French I can craick them up make 'em laugh but when they start rabbiting deliberately fast so you can't understand them, like I do in English one tends to lose that little bit of understanding, Numbers ? I'm crap at figures & maths even in english but rarely get ripped, but then 'do I really care? not really one's learning-curve never ceases.
My favorite is, if a kid looks eager' I get in there first asking him or her for bakshesh, does their heads in, then chuck them a sweat when they look crestfallen.
I went cruising up-to Aswan one-day on a nice boat with 25 frogs and their kids one of the funniest holidays I ever enjoyed. Then I cruised back on my own myself, the captain, the crew, the chef's and the bar & jacuzzi. brill.....8)
one-day in my dreams speeky da lingo, 'shwia shwia sa?
as a doctor I can always revert to the old 'mind meld...
Last edited by drwho on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 pm

- There are places here with one price for Egyptians, one for tourists and one for foreigners living here, and they're sometimes proud to tell you. Then of course there's the tourist price in certain restaurants that includes commission, and discount for locals. with foreiners living here somewhere in between - that is the same.

- Whenever a shopowner wants to be nice and say: "Don't worry, I give you Egyptian price!", I shock them by refusing to deal with rascists! They get my routine of: If a person with a different colour of skin, hair and eyes walks into my shop in Copenhagen and I say:"You won't pay extra, even though you're a foreigner, I'll find myself on the front page of the newspaper next day, and will never be allowed to open a shop again..." It doesn't work, but they know exactly what I mean. Just like the parents who teach their children to be beggars and say to any one with a different skin colour: Helllbklshshlllooooo! I say "I fight very hard to teach my children that we are all the same under the skin, and yoy teach yours to be rascists - to treat people differently based upon skin- hair- and eye colour! Just imagin walkking down the street of Copenhagen and everybody screams at you because your skin is dark..There is a word for that! Doesn't help, but everybody understands it.

- I was shocked at the price of tea in that place, Stan talks about, but more surprised when an old neighbour invited me for tea there. I said the place was too expensive, and he said: WE pay I-don't-remember-how-much, but of course the local men who watch football don't pay what I did.

- I really don't care about the price of tea, just don't want to treated like an idiot!

PRchick

Post by PRchick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 am

Well, I suspose if they maintained the quality a tourist would require (and most tourists require a high quality), they would have to charge accordingly. But then they would be out of the price range of ordinary Egyptians.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 am

Hi, All! If I could offer a slightly different perspective - admittedly it does not apply to businesses such as mentioned in this string - but it is a different point of view.

When I was in Russia, I participated in the oversight of the Hermitage Museum. As you may know, it is one of the leading museums in the world.

They had 2 tiered pricing - about 50 cents for Russians and almost 10 dollars for tourists.

The reasoning - tourists who were there, on probably a once in a lifetime trip, could afford it; but most especially, the Museum cost a GREAT DEAL to operate and the tourist funding enabled the Museum to stay open for the citizens - to whom it belonged!!

As I said, I suppose this philosophy doesn't really apply to commercial enterprises like a restaurant - but maybe it is legitimate when talking about a national treasure?

Best to all,
Scott
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:28 am

I agree with this dual pricing when it comes to things such as museums, indeed we have it here in the UK. It is free for locals to get into Nottingham castle and a couple of other local museums but others have to pay. I must stress the word 'locals' however. It dosn't seem fair that a rich Egyptian who has lived abroad for many years be entitled to a discount where as a poor backpacker has to pay full wack. Discounts in museums for local residents only, regardless of nationality, I say.

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:13 am

Basically I agree but I think some rules would have to be set.

Might I suggest that offered discounts apply to citizens and those who choose to be permanent residents. After all, if you choose to make a place your home, you should reap the benefits - along with the LIABILITIES, like poor infrastructure, poor healthcare, etc.

Those on TOURIST visas would not qualify.

As for commercial discounts, eg., restaurants, bars, etc., you are free to vote with your feet!

Best to all,
Scott

PRchick

Post by PRchick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:06 am

Scott wrote:Hi, All! If I could offer a slightly different perspective - admittedly it does not apply to businesses such as mentioned in this string - but it is a different point of view.

When I was in Russia, I participated in the oversight of the Hermitage Museum. As you may know, it is one of the leading museums in the world.

They had 2 tiered pricing - about 50 cents for Russians and almost 10 dollars for tourists.

The reasoning - tourists who were there, on probably a once in a lifetime trip, could afford it; but most especially, the Museum cost a GREAT DEAL to operate and the tourist funding enabled the Museum to stay open for the citizens - to whom it belonged!!

As I said, I suppose this philosophy doesn't really apply to commercial enterprises like a restaurant - but maybe it is legitimate when talking about a national treasure?

Best to all,
Scott
My point exactly Scott. They would not be able to stay open without the tourist funds because of the high quality.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:04 am

I have no problems with Egyptians being able to visit their own heritage for a minimal but affordable price, when compared with what foreigners have to pay - tourism is a major contributor to Egypt's economy after all. But I do have a problem with dual pricing in restaurants, shops etc. It's not that foreigners expect a better quality than the local population - in fact in most cases the product is identical!

I guess though that dual pricing is better than the policy at tourist attractions in Britain, where both the British and foreigners have to pay inflated prices!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 am

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't EgyptAir cancel their two tier pricing system recently by now charging EVERYONE the HIGHER price??? If that is correct- how does it help Egyptians?

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I agree, Stan! Monuments etc. is one thing, basic needs another.

Scott, sorry, what.... but I have to show my passport whenever I want a glass of karkahdey??? Ridculously complicated! One price for all, like the rest of the world. :x
Carpe diem! :le:

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Well, WI, as I said - commercial is different.

I think that, in much of the rest of the world, without two tier, a lot of intellectual or historical attractions will be closed - a loss to the world.

From what other writers here have said, there is even two tier in UK; and as for one tier commercia, like EgyptAir, all it does is hurt the natives!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:05 pm

BENNU wrote:
- Whenever a shopowner wants to be nice and say: "Don't worry, I give you Egyptian price!", I shock them by refusing to deal with rascists! They get my routine of: If a person with a different colour of skin, hair and eyes walks into my shop in Copenhagen and I say:"You won't pay extra, even though you're a foreigner, I'll find myself on the front page of the newspaper next day, and will never be allowed to open a shop again..." It doesn't work, but they know exactly what I mean.
My husband was at a conference of an Arab medical association this week and at the end of his talk, an ob/gyn went on a rant about America "******* the Arabs" (yes that was the word he used). My husband kept quiet but he told his friends afterward that if someone did something like that at a conference in the US he would be kicked out. The language alone he felt was inappropriate, not to mention the political commentary.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I was at the Egyptian Museum the other day and saw the announcement from last year posted on a wall when they changed the ticket pricing system with the entire system of pricing spelled out. One thing that I noticed that might be of interest to some of you is that disabled foreigners are entitled to a 50% discount on tickets at the sites.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Scott wrote: Might I suggest that offered discounts apply to citizens and those who choose to be permanent residents. After all, if you choose to make a place your home, you should reap the benefits - along with the LIABILITIES, like poor infrastructure, poor healthcare, etc.
There is no such thing as "permanent" residency in Egypt. All foreigners have "temporary" residency although in some cases they are entitled to renew it indefinitely.

Scott

Post by Scott » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Absolutely correct, GD! I should have said 'permanently' (well, Insh' Allah!), not 'permanent'!

Best!
Scott

steve

Post by steve » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 pm

The last time I was in Luxor I went to a restaurant, and was surpised that the tourist price was the same as in the Egyptian menu, then my friend pointed out the items that were included pricewise in the Egyptian menu Dips bread and alike, were in fact charged for to non Egyptians.

I love Luxor, but one of the things that really p***** me off is dual pricing. :x :x
I'm told some people put manure on their rhubarb. I prefer custard!

PRchick

Post by PRchick » Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 am

Well, you know, we have seen on this forum about tourists demanding high quality (western quality) and to do that they would have to (I think) charge prices beyond the reach of most Egyptians. They can only survive from tourist pricing. What is your solution?
~Mark Twain~

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sun May 02, 2010 8:12 am

Those tourists who demand western quality have plenty of opportunities in Luxor - western style restaurants abound, and of course the big hotels have a choice of restaurants. These are places where Egyptians don't usually frequent - the exceptions being KFC, Pizza Hut, MacDonalds and Snacktime, which are hardly quality places.

But, I really think that linking high quality with western quality is totally incorrect. Many Egyptian restaurants offer high quality food at local prices - and the ones I've been to don't do dual pricing.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun May 02, 2010 7:37 pm

What is your definition of "local prices"? Nice restaurants are a luxury, not a necessity. And any restaurant should be free to charge whatever the market can bear. If a restaurant wants to charge 200LE per meal and only naive tourists who don't know there is ful down the street for 2LE can afford it, what's the problem as long as they are able to fill the tables?

drwho

Post by drwho » Mon May 03, 2010 6:03 pm

So, you are talking quantity rather than quality and f***em all, really nice attitude luckily some people do try to excel even in the face of adversity and ignorance, even now there are fantastic restaurants all over the UK thanks mainly to hard working individuals who care, since we dragged you lot from fish & chips & blue nun into the greatest gastronomes in the World...GD, they've not been naive tourists for over 20 years .....8)
Brits rather than Yanks...
septics! fat fast-fooders......