Umm Kulthum

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chris
Egypt

Umm Kulthum

Post by Chris »

Umm Kulthum & the Golden Era is at the London Palladium on 2 March.

"With a voice adored by Bob Dylan, Robert Plant and millions across the Arab world, Umm Kulthum rejected gender norms with her powerful, political music. But can her 90-minute songs work in a new stage musical?"

More inormation at: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... ernal-star

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Umm Kulthum

Post by Who2 »

Does me head in, being totally honest... 8)
Ps: I mean the woman never stopped...theirs music and then there's her..
Pss: No disrespect to any and all of my egyptian friends whom of all ages adore her still.
Dylan liked her and that's well understandable, both droning on and on unintelligibly...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’ve tried to “get” her singing....without success.

I tended to fall asleep during the musical intros to her classics,,,,.which seemed to last a lifetime.

I’m a total philistine where she’s concerned.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

The first time I ever heard this dear lady was one very late evening having a meal in the old Asswan Moon in Asswan some thirty years ago. The restaurant was quiet and peaceful, and if anything the music was more for the enjoyment for the staff than I, it's only customer. For the first time that day I was alone and could relax.

I honestly believe you have to be in such a state of mind to learn and appreciate a new style of music, my Arabic was somewhat very limited in those days, but curiously, I picked up some of the words, but something I realised even then, this lady sang from her very heart. In France they had Edith Piaf, though in the U.K., there has never been an equivalent. To really appreciate the understanding of the Holy Koran, one has to be able to read Arabic, and for similar reason that is why Umm Kulthum is appreciated not only in Egypt, but throughout the Arab world.

I can understand the Dr's above reasoning here, but for the life of me can not see why anyone wanting to put on a cultured season of music by this unique individual in that flea bitten pit they call the London Palladium.