The Awalim & Ghawazi of Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

The Awalim & Ghawazi of Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I thought this article might be of interest to our “resident” dancer BENNU.

From Ghawazi to Safiyya of Esna and Kuchuk Hanem: The History of Belly Dancing in Egypt.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2019/08/20/ ... -in-egypt/

Apologies, BENNU, if you’ve already seen it.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: The Awalim & Ghawazi of Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Thank you, Newcastle. I had not seen it because I have been offline, but the headline right here on Luxor4U certainly caught my eye! :up

The article is rather superficial and there is of course a lot more to Awalem and Ghawazee. The origin of the steps is part of a dancer's training and I am proud to have learned from original Awalem and Ghawazee dancers in Luxor.

Some will tell you that there are no real Awalem left in Egypt. There are women in Mohamed Ali Street calling themselves Awalem dancers, of course, but that is a story for another day. I was having breakfast in Luxor with a member of what is seen as the last family of Awalem in Egypt, an international star from Cairo with an incredible technique. She put her phone on the table and out of it came the most beautiful mawal, sung by her brother. She explained that she could not eat without the presence of her family.

Her sister is a highly esteemed interpreter of Oum Kalthoum who prefers not to sing for bellydancers, but I have enjoyed the privilege of improvising to her great voice on a couple of occasions and hope, inshallah to do it again in Cairo later this year.

The Ghawazee were banished from Cairo by Mohamed Ali and continued dancing in Upper Egypt to local Saidi rhythm and instruments. Some foreign dancers call the Ghawazee tradition female Saidi dance, but it is not generally seen as folklore though it has played a very important role in the development of Egyptian folkloric stage craft.

There are still Ghawazee families and descendants in the city of Luxor and dancers from around the world come to learn from them. The most famous troupe is the legendary Banat Mazin, originating from Persia and Kurdistan. The youngest, the lovely Khaireiyya, still works. I sometimes dance in her bedroom on the East Bank to music from her tape recorder and she has danced with us in my home and to a mizmar band on my roof.
:rs
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Thank you BENNU. That’s fascinating!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks Newcastle. I saw the article earlier but didn't have time to read it. When I had time, I couldn't find it again.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley