TV host Mohamed al-Ghiety jailed for interviewing gay man

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

TV host Mohamed al-Ghiety jailed for interviewing gay man

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt TV host Mohamed al-Ghiety jailed for interviewing gay man.

An Egyptian TV presenter has been sentenced to one year of hard labour for interviewing a gay man last year.

A court in Giza also fined Mohamed al-Ghiety 3,000 Egyptian pounds ($167; £130) for "promoting homosexuality" on his privately owned LTC TV channel.

The gay man, whose identity was hidden, had talked about life as a sex worker.

Homosexuality is not explicitly criminalised in Egypt, however, the authorities have been increasingly cracking down on the LGBT community.

They routinely arrest people suspected of engaging in consensual homosexual conduct on charges of "debauchery", immorality or blasphemy.

The most recent case came about after lawyer Samir Sabry, who is well known in Egypt for taking celebrities to court, filed a lawsuit against Ghiety for his interview which took place in August 2018.

The TV host, who has voiced homophobic views on a number of occasions, spoke to a gay man who expressed regret over his sexuality and described life as a prostitute. The man's face had been blurred to conceal his identity.

Egypt's top media body, the Supreme Council for Media Regulation, immediately took the channel off air for two weeks, citing "professional violations".

The prosecuting lawyer, Mr Sabry, accused the TV host of revealing there to be financial gains of "practising homosexuality", state-owned al-Ahram newspaper reports.

In addition to the jail term and fine, the misdemeanours court also ordered Ghiety to be put under surveillance for one year after serving his sentence, Mr Sabry said.

The verdict could be appealed against and suspended if Ghiety paid bail of 1,000 Egyptian pounds, pending the appeal's outcome, he added.

Egypt's media council banned homosexuals from appearing on any media outlet after a rainbow flag was raised at a concert in Cairo in 2017, in a rare public show of support for the LGBT community in the conservative, mainly Muslim country.

A crackdown was also launched on suspected homosexuals with dozens of people arrested, in a move decried by human rights groups.

The authorities rely on a 1961 prostitution law that criminalises "habitual debauchery" to charge people who they suspect of engaging in consensual homosexual conduct.

Mr Sabry was also the lawyer who filed a case against Egyptian actress Rania Youssef on charges of "inciting debauchery" over a see-through outfit she wore at an awards ceremony last year. He later dropped the case after Ms Youssef apologised.

He has filed hundreds of similar cases in recent years.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: TV host Mohamed al-Ghiety jailed for interviewing gay ma

Post by Dusak »

:tk I wonder what this lawyer gets up to behind his own closed doors?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Good God this is 2019 and not 1819, times have changed all over the World....
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:Good God this is 2019 and not 1819, times have changed all over the World....
It may seem strange now, but during the latter part of the Mubarak era, there was a quite well known minister within the, then government who was certainly gay, though some would think they were the bad old days of the modern 'civilised' life in Egypt.

In the whole period of modern day history of Egypt being the past 100 years, that country has often been to hell and back, however, over the past year more new laws have come into effect, than at any other similar period throughout the past century,......food for thought.

Many of the recent new laws that have come into force are of the so called guillotine process. During my time in Egypt I often watched the Egyptian parliament debate programmes, being that it helped with learning Arabic. The speaker had little hair, but had one of those ridiculous comb-overs, I remember so well. Today, I fear ex-pats must be clearly up to date what is really happening in Egypt, rather than the everyday life of 'the cocoon'.