Saadawi has extraordinary "vision"

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Saadawi has extraordinary "vision"

Post by newcastle »

I always used to think Nawal El Saadawi was a glimmer of light in the darkness of Egyptian human rights and democracy and her acquiescence to some of the regimes' outrages could be put down to sensible self- preservation. Sadly, I may have been a tad naive. The kindest interpretation one can put on her recent interview in Sweden is that senility has triumphed over a previously intelligent mind,

Egyptian Women's Rights Activist Nawal El Saadawi: I Saw Hillary Clinton Handing Out U.S. Dollars In Tahrir Square So That People Would Vote for the Muslim Brotherhood

Egyptian women's rights activist and author Nawal El Saadawi spoke at the Gothenburg Book Fair in Sweden, which took place on September 27-30, 2018. She said that "colonial, capitalist, imperialist, racist" global powers, led by the United States, collaborated with the Egyptian government to end the 2011 Egyptian revolution. She added that she remembered seeing then-U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Tahrir Square handing out dollar bills to the youth in order to encourage them to vote for the Muslim Brotherhood in the upcoming elections. El Saadawi's remarks were uploaded to multiple online sources on September 30, 2018. Her preposterous statement stirred much criticism in Arab media.

See more: https://www.memri.org/tv/egyptian-activ ... rir-square

It would appear that the Egyptian fondness for conspiracy theories infects all levels of society.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Saadawi has extraordinary "vision"

Post by Who2 »

Oh, I don't know. But I do know 'Da Boy's in Da Hood were handing out free fridges & TV's to various villages
in Upper Egypt to convince them to vote for The Brotherhood..... 8)
Ps: Yeh! and they bought all those speakers a PA systems for the mosques......
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'd take a lot of the stories concerning the first, and only, free elections with a pinch of salt :lol:

As part of the process of legitimising the 2013 coup, it's in the interests of the regime to foster stories that the election of the M B was, in some way, foreign influenced.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Newcastle. i agree with you and this is not her first interview in the past 4-5 years which has seemed a reversal of her previous liberal views.

Senility is one interpretation but another is that the liberal upper class Cairenes were so frightened by Morsi that they went back to the gun-totting Army they had previously objected to. I suspect the second and that she is part of tens of thousands of liberals who have shut up or endorsed the current Junta as better than Morsi.

Some have woven their way in and out of events. For example the novelist/dentist al Aswany gave a few positive interviews about Sisi 4 years ago, then went silent, then started to say mild negative things, then went and has stayed silent. i assume he is outside Egypt which might lengthen his life expectancy. The current situation is one where even rounding up very famous people for nothing is part of day to day security work and the west stays silent.

There is another view about this old female tortoise. Her views were always narrow - just women - and her position clear - opposition to the status quo. I never read her as having broad views nor having much of a view about how to fix the problems for women in Egypt. I always suspected her of being a PR stunt who liked the attention - but had no answers. A harsh view on my part.

Newcastle you know the truth of the foreign influence conspiracy. The media were all insiders or state owned at the time and there is no evidence produced by Sisi or anyone else that they were bribed by outsiders. Second the NGO's alleged to be involved were small funded and full of foolish kids - there was no mastermind. Third the hate of the NDP and Mubarak was widespread and had nothing to do with the US nor influenced by media - they had failed and were corrupt and brutal. Remember for example the hate shown towards the police and their collapse in dealing with demonstrators, their officers running away and the conscripts stripping down to their underpants to avoid public attack.

No one has given a single practical illustration that the Morsi vote was fixed in any way let alone by the US. The US relations with the Brotherhood in any event were slim almost non-existent.

At few stages, if any, did the world's worst army try to control the situation. Therefore Mubarak's removal and Morsi's election is something they did little, almost nothing, to prevent.

Once such an impetus is unleashed its near impossible for any player, including a foreign one, to control where it ends up. Maybe it was the Mubarak scourge and army idiocy that led to Morsi but that would require an Egyptian army admission of failure something that not even endless defeats forces them to do. Its a standard Egyptian brain dead approach. If its something bad it must be a conspiracy organized by outsiders with, always, no Egyptian blame.

To me the truth is that the Mubarak regime was so hated nothing could control what happened next and even SCAF running things in the aftermath couldn't set up/fix a sensible next step.

The conspiracy theorists also ignore that it was part of a region wide contempt for their rulers, the absence of an other than corrupt liberal alternative and the election of moderate Islamist's in Tunisia, the violent suppression in Syria and an unresolved problem in Libya but with the change that moderate Islamist will hold power. What happened in Egypt was part of a much larger event and the US neither caused it not controlled it.

The conspiracies were the Military/Sawiris funding of that mirage Tamarod and their 16 million signature petition and the probable funding of people to protest leading to Morsi's downfall. At this stage we know nothing about CIA involvement/acquiescence in this but I imagine we will hear about it in time.