WILL IT BE,.......GIVE THEM CAKE.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

WILL IT BE,.......GIVE THEM CAKE.

Post by A-Four »

Up until now the government of Egypt has been very careful not to reduce the subsidy on bread, a very wise move by them, when we realise the consequences of the near distant past. Before the so called revolution I wrote on this forum that there was no common agricultural policy, in other words the nation of Egypt allowed farmers to grow produce other than that what was required for the staple diet of the nation. I suggested then that like European farming a guaranteed price should be stated the previous year to encourage farmers to grow what that the nation requires. Two years ago the government did exactly this, however come harvest, the authorities reneged on the idea, because European wheat was in bumper supply and international price fell like a stone. The authorities used every trick in the book to find excuses why not to buy the domestic wheat,..........things have now changed.

The June harvest of wheat in Egypt this year has been quite bad to say the least, it is now clear the European wheat will be similar as a direct result of the current weather conditions. International wheat market prices will for certainly hit the roof. If there is one way for a third world county to seek revolution it's to ask its people to 'eat cake'.

One other interesting point I made before the so called revolution, was that ALL bakeries should be stopped from selling bread direct to the public, for health, safety and satisfaction of the Egyptian people. It must in future be sold only to retail outlets, I don't think the government will hear this important message, but they should have certainly learnt from the recent past.