Egypt ranks 16th in the safest countries in the world.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Egypt ranks 16th in the safest countries in the world.

Post by crewmeal »

I quote from 'Secret Egypt'
Good morning!
Some very good news !!!!

"According to the annual Gallup Global Law and Order, Egypt has outranked both the US, UK and the entire African continent when it comes to safety. The US and the UK ranked in 21st and 35th place respectively while Egypt placed 16th out of 135 countries
Why am I not surprised Egypt beats the UK!!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Egypt ranks 16th in the safest countries in the world.

Post by newcastle »

"The index uses four questions in its survey, which revolve around confidence in the local police force, safety walking alone in city of residence, and finally a question about theft affecting respondents or their family members, or assault and mugging cases within the past 12 months"

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... lobal.aspx

The Report is all about public "perception" rather than hard facts and statistics.

The Egyptian authorities are notoriously sensitive about opinion polls so it would be interesting to know how Gallup surveyed Egypt, and how representative their poll was. The quickest way to get yourself arrested in Egypt is to walk down the high street with a clipboard and start asking questions! :lol:

I wouldn't attach too much significance to the results, other than to note that perception of safety in Egypt (presumably by Egyptians) is quite a lot better than it was in 2016.

Egypt is one of those places where you need to be suspicious of answers given to questionnaires on matters concerning the police....know what I mean guv? :lol: Unlike US and UK, there's likely to be some reticence in whinging too loudly!
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Whilst I totally agree with your comments Newcastle I can't help (from a personal experience) but think Luxor and Aswan is far safer than many UK cities. With the constant gangland killings, murder, muggings, moped bike muggings, the list goes on, is it any wonder that these crimes wiill just flourish with the lack of Police officers on the streets along with soft justice.

When a couple of Police officers recently commented regarding moped muggings stating they wouldn't give chase, asked why they replied someone might get hurt!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

One of the problems in drawing any meaningful conclusions from crime statistics is that the rate of reporting varies greatly between countries. Perception of UK cities as more dangerous than, say, Luxor, may be more to do with the fact that the crimes are reported more rigorously in UK.

If you look at recorded assaults, worldwide by country, Scotland comes top of the list at 1655 per 100,000 of population!

By contrast, Egypt is third from bottom at 0.3!!

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf ... e/Assaults

Would you say Scotland is 5,000 times more violent than Egypt?

I live between the east end of London and Hurghada. From personal experience I wouldn't draw too much of a distinction in personal safety.

Where I would draw a distinction is in the likely response of the police and authorities generally to any incident involving violence! I suspect many Egyptians, and foreigners, simply don't report such incidents as the time and trouble involved outweighs the likelihood of any satisfactory action being taken. Which explains why Egyptians are more likely to take the law into their own hands rather than seeking redress through official channels.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Newcastle agree.

Under current arrangements all surveys, other than CAPMAS - headed by a non-numerate elderly Major General, are illegal. For example Pew used to do fine surveys on opinion - particularly confidence in government and perceptions of corruption - but these were tossed 4 years ago. There was even a law passed 3 years or so ago making it a crime, not just an offense, to conduct telephone based surveys. This government is terrified of what its people really think of it - I wonder why.

CAPMAS is utterly unreliable but is used by the World Bank/IMF etc because there is no alternative and it would, I guess, be the basis of crime stats given to international agencies..

How Gallup was allowed to do this survey is the interesting question and what 'compromises' they had to make to get approval.

Gallup has little experience in such surveys let alone in this region.

I suspect that CAPMAS manipulates stats that are embarrassing - including violence. I also suspect that in traditional societies there is major under reporting of violence and related matters that are considered family/community/village matters.For example I suspect there is huge under reporting of violence in the home, sexual assault, rape, corruption, bribery, fraudulent behavior by any public official, and crime involving an accusation against a rich or powerful person, theft/intimidation/extortion within the family etc. I could be wrong. In traditional parts of Egypt I suspect Imams or priests or elders 'solve' many matters and the police - who are loathed and feared - are not involved let alone the courts that are, according to the Pew survey a few years ago - regarded as corrupt/incompetent/slow/expensive.

A perverse question. If there is little crime and violence in Egypt why have an extra 60,000 terrorist/stability of the state/Junta related persons been imprisoned in the last 3-4 years leading to one of the highest rates in the world. That's 41 a day on a 7 day week. Did the godly Gallup ask themselves this question? How can you have an exploding and bursting prison system full of, according to the Junta, people who threaten law and order or worse and yet have a peaceful society?
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

crewmeal wrote:Whilst I totally agree with your comments Newcastle I can't help (from a personal experience) but think Luxor and Aswan is far safer than many UK cities. With the constant gangland killings, murder, muggings, moped bike muggings, the list goes on, is it any wonder that these crimes wiill just flourish with the lack of Police officers on the streets along with soft justice.
I found it better to do a comparison of Luxor to how it was before the revolution and to how it is now, people did not lock their doors or chain up their motorbikes before the revolution, thefts were very small.
After the revolution, thefts have gone through the roof , kidnapping of children is rife, many found dead (killed for organs) public lynching is on the rise.... The list goes on in Egypt too... I don't want to post some of the shocking stuff seen on some of the Egyptian social media newsfeeds :sd

Like newcastle says things are reported more easily in the UK where reporting in Egypt is very restricted.