A Merry Christmas on the Red Sea

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

A Merry Christmas on the Red Sea

Post by newcastle »

Sounds like a busy Christmas on the Red Sea.

"A number of hotel managers in the Red Sea confirmed that Christmas and New Year’s Eve reservations in Marsa Alam and Hurghada have reached about 90 percent the hotels’ capacities.

Some hotels are fully reserved, especially in al-Gouna and Sahl al-Hasheesh due mainly to bookings by Egyptians.

The Tourism Promotion Authority in the Red Sea meanwhile announced that the number of tourists coming to the governorate during the coming period is estimated at 100,000 from Germany, Ukraine, England, Poland, Scandinavia and several other European countries.

It added that current occupancy rates in Marsa Alam range between 70 and 80 percent in some hotels.

The security services in the Red Sea announced that they are tightening security measures in various cities of the governorate and raising the degree of readiness at checkpoints on highways ahead of the celebrations."

http://www.egyptindependent.com/christm ... a-resorts/

I can vouch for the Sahl Hasheesh figures. although I suspect interest is geared more to New Year rather than Christmas.......which is hardly a highlight on the Egyptian/muslim calendar.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: A Merry Christmas on the Red Sea

Post by Major Thom »

I would think there should be too, cheap and doing their best to get things going. A good sign for the Red Sea, we have friends there at the moment gone from Luxor to there to enjoy a bit of R and R. They will let us know when they get back. They normally have a few R and R breaks on the RS every year. When last there in the Summer though it was a bit bleak in Hurghada.
But good for the RS Resorts.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Newcastle amazing - but probably short term surge that still leaves long term viability in question - not to mention stable jobs for young or poorer people.

Luck you - last Russian-free Christmas/New Year before they return to the Coast. Enjoy it whilst it lasts. Give a wide berth to most Australians at this time of year - unless you can quickly wash yourself 'down' with a hotel hose after an encounter. Light-weight, high tech, running shoes are generally a good investment to deal with the risk of such situations/people.

Merry Christmas and thanks for many - but not all - of your comments.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Hafiz wrote:Newcastle amazing - but probably short term surge that still leaves long term viability in question - not to mention stable jobs for young or poorer people.

Hope springs eternal eh? And , unlike most of the poor buggers here, I have a "Get out of Jail Free" card in the shape of a burgundy (soon to be blue) passport.

Luck you - last Russian-free Christmas/New Year before they return to the Coast. Enjoy it whilst it lasts. Give a wide berth to most Australians at this time of year - unless you can quickly wash yourself 'down' with a hotel hose after an encounter. Light-weight, high tech, running shoes are generally a good investment to deal with the risk of such situations/people.

Can't say I've noticed many Aussies about. But then I think seeking winter sun at Christmas hardly warrants a 10,000 mile trek for your fellow antipodeans.

Merry Christmas and thanks for many - but not all - of your comments.

Et tu Brute !!