Zangaki brothers of Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Zangaki brothers of Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Producers of views along the Nile for Victorian tourists.

C. and G. Zangaki were two Greek brothers who were active photographers in Egypt from the 1870s to 1890s.

Apart from that, little information about them survives (even their first names are disputed).

Produced mainly as souvenirs for European tourists, their photos recorded ancient Egyptian ruins and the bustling modern cities of Cairo and Port Said, as well as posed “types” of various Egyptian peoples.

A Bicharin soldier. The Bicharin are a tribe of the Beja nomadic ethnic group that live in southern Egypt and Sudan.

The Great Sphinx of Giza.

Two Arab women.

European tourists and local guides climb one of the pyramids at Giza.

Young boy with donkey.

Men at the entrance to the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Vendors in a bazaar.

Barber.

Obelisk of Heliopolis.

Tourist and guides with camel.

Students in the Al-Azhar Mosque, Cairo.

A ship in the Suez Canal.

River view, Alexandria.

Palm grove near the pyramids.

Caravan passing a dredging barge.

Flooded banks of the Nile.

Source: http://mashable.com/2017/10/15/zangaki- ... XhqOmX9aq8

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Zangaki brothers of Egypt

Post by Who2 »

How time changes things, mind you the camels look similar... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Great images Keefy and a very good quality, although many of these images are posed they still tell a story of bygone times. I have access to a beta program that attempts to determine the original colours in old monochrome images, it is not perfect and often bleeds colour shades into surrounding areas, but for all that it does a reasonable job and you can get some idea of the real life colour. It does not just colourize the image but uses very clever algorithms to deduce the original colours had it been taken in Kodachrome. I took a couple of your images and ran them through the process and here are the results so thought our members may like a peek.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I came across this while looking at some other photos by these two brothers.

I assume it's hand tinted.

I also found mention of their names as Georgios and Constantinos...but can't speak for the accuracy of the information.

http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/photog ... rothers/A/
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Definitely hand tinted
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Some lovely old images.

I belong a Facebook group that focuses on photographs of our locality. One woman in particular seems to never go beyond her front door without her camera strung round her neck, and some complain about how many photographs she shares every day. However, although we all know what our local High Street, Bus Station, Cathedral Grounds look like, she is building up an unenviable collection of 'bye gone days' for future generations.

It is important to remember that it is easy to look at old photographs with rose tinted glasses, harking back to 'olden times' as being the 'golden times' and we need to be careful that we don't let such images distort our history and reality.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Many old photographs would fall into the category of being called a 'record shot' inasmuch as they are just documenting a location, a race or culture or people and activities as opposed to today when we tend to just take general images of all and everything. I take many photographs and often share them over on the Gold side along with either a little travelogue or maybe a short account of why I have posted the images. I tend not to post images on here after some years ago a once regular member complained that there were too many photographs cluttering the threads. :ni:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

More photographs please say I.

The method for adding photographs to L4U is a bit clunky so I tend not to post many. I like the ease of loading photographs that Facebook has, being able to easily add one or two photographs to your post or even make a whole album of photographs and being able to reasonable select the audience that views them. (Although I then have the problem of knowing what to leave out!)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Where my daughter lives, in every main street there is a viewing box of that same street some 50 years ago or so, it's really interesting to see the photos of what used to be and what it is like now. Wish more places did it.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Yes Hepzi the only down side to the forums is uploading photo's, on the other side I often upload quite a few to illustrate a particular post, but the time it takes can make it a hard task. Even worse is the fact that the 'insert' option from the gallery never works and so all the images get stuck at the bottom of the post and you then have to cut & paste each one into the correct part of the text.

Carrie that idea of showing how a place used to look is a really good one, where I live we have a local historian who has lots of old images and he will often publish articles on the area, I must try to contact him or speak to a local councillor (as I know a few) and try and get them to suggest it as an idea to be implemented in our area.

Another thing that I sometimes do is to compile a short video of a local walk with my little dog and then post the link on Youtube, they have usually been well enough received. Like that lady you mentioned I more often than not I have a small camera in my pocket so that in the event of seeing something of interest I can always take a shot or record a bit of video footage, but if I intend to do some serious stuff I take one of my better cameras with me. Also in the long Winter months if I get bored I will rifle through my own images and then try and create something different by combining several images. Here is one that I did some time back for Halloween.