Boat to Aswan

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Boat to Aswan

Post by carrie »

Has any one taken a felucca or motor boat down from Luxor to Aswan?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Boat to Aswan

Post by Horus »

I’m sure that someone on here once did that trip, was it not Stan and some others? Maybe you can check some back posts.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

A warning from my husband and Egyptian male friends:

Do NOT go on your own, especially if it will be an overnighter!
Carpe diem! :le:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:o
I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that fellucas were not allowed to sail the whole distance between Luxor and Aswan.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I don't know about feluccas, but I saw a cruise advertised last week from Cairo to Aswan! :up
Smile! It confuses people
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote::o
I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that fellucas were not allowed to sail the whole distance between Luxor and Aswan.
They are only allowed to take passengers south to north. I once went on a three night felucca cruise from Assuan to Kom Ombo.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You have to go and get a special licence from the police which we are going for Sunday.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:I’m sure that someone on here once did that trip, was it not Stan and some others? Maybe you can check some back posts.
Yes, you are right Horus, it was first Stan, but the Kevin-in-Abydos, who wrote a most memorable account, that could only possibly be written is such a fantastic verse as he did, if you actually had made a such journey. Neither journey though was made by felucca.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Oh, Carrie, are you going on a felucca or a motorboat all the way from Luxor to Assuan?

How exciting!
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

A-Four wrote:
Horus wrote:I’m sure that someone on here once did that trip, was it not Stan and some others? Maybe you can check some back posts.
Yes, you are right Horus, it was first Stan, but the Kevin-in-Abydos, who wrote a most memorable account, that could only possibly be written is such a fantastic verse as he did, if you actually had made a such journey. Neither journey though was made by felucca.
Yes now I think back was it not in a Dahabiya?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:
A-Four wrote:
Yes now I think back was it not in a Dahabiya?
Yes, correct. :wi .
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BENNU wrote:I once went on a three night felucca cruise from Assuan to Kom Ombo.
What, just to Kom Ombo ? Pray tell dear Bennu, how did you manage to spend most of your time on this quite small boat.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Both Winged Isis and Bennu make very interesting and knowledgeable remarks above, which I would like to add my own.

Winged Isis's husband knows very clearly something is wrong with the idea of a felucca trip from Luxor to Asswan even during low Nile season, and will take a much longer period than most people would expect. I suspect that he, like myself, believes that a such 'captain' would demand payment 'up front' for the whole journey, plus food, knowing full well no person would stay the whole cruise.

I honestly believe, long before this boat reaches Essna bridge any tourist would have vacated it, also I am sure serious official question would be asked half a mile up river at Essna Lock before allowing the such boat through, with foreigners on board. You only have to watch even at low Nile in Winter, feluccas are often towed up river to Banana Island before being allowed to return to Luxor town under their 'own steam' being the flow of the Nile.

A such journey from Asswan to Luxor by felucca during low Nile season (mid Oct to early March), I expect would take between five to seven days, and four to five days at other times. I can not imagine how long a such journey in the opposite direction would take, when you would be totally at the mercy to the wind from the North. Remember no felucca is allowed to sail at night, which means after 6p.m.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote:
BENNU wrote:I once went on a three night felucca cruise from Assuan to Kom Ombo.
What, just to Kom Ombo ? Pray tell dear Bennu, how did you manage to spend most of your time on this quite small boat.
I have no problem relaxing on the river, A-Four, and simply be. It was my first trip to Egypt and I had met some fellow backpackers, very pleasant company. At night, under stars, we had Stella. After such an adventure, Luxor was a nightmare and I could not wait to get out of there. Twelve years later, I still try.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BENNU wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote::o
They are only allowed to take passengers south to north. I once went on a three night felucca cruise from Assuan to Kom Ombo.
As did these intrepid travelers last year...and had a great time by all accounts.

"A visit to Egypt is not complete without a cruise on the Nile River, the world’s longest river and a source of life for Egypt and its ancient civilization. We knew we had to do it, but not aboard a regular cruise ship. Instead, we sailed the Nile on a Felucca, the traditional Egyptian wooden sailboat that has been around for centuries.

In total, we spent 3 days sailing the Nile on a Felucca, a totally new experience for us. A serene and enjoyable journey along the Nile which allowed us to get to know a bit more about Egypt"

https://breathewithus.com/nile-felucca/
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BENNU wrote:
A-Four wrote:
I have no problem relaxing on the river, A-Four, At night, under stars, we had Stella..
Well, one can only assume that on this future up and coming adventure, Carrie, like you in the past, will have quite a few crates of booze weighed into the boat. May I suggest Gorden's gin to be out of your skull on, certainly will not need the Indian tonic water, or lemon for that matter. :wi :wi .
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

A-Four, I can tell you with complete authority that Carrie would ALWAYS prefer a nice cup of tea to a G&T, or a glass of wine, or a beer, or indeed anything alcoholic. When we're together it means I always have to drink her share - well, that's my excuse!
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

A-Four wrote:Winged Isis's husband knows very clearly something is wrong with the idea of a felucca trip from Luxor to Asswan even during low Nile season, and will take a much longer period than most people would expect. I suspect that he, like myself, believes that a such 'captain' would demand payment 'up front' for the whole journey, plus food, knowing full well no person would stay the whole cruise.
B*ll*cks. You have no idea what my husband knows and don't ever presume to again.

My husband was warning women not to travel alone especially for overnight stays, felucca crew not having the best of reputations. Do I have to spell it out in more detail? .
Carpe diem! :le:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Winged Isis wrote:
A-Four wrote:Winged Isis's husband knows very clearly something is wrong with the idea of a felucca trip from Luxor to Asswan even during low Nile season, and will take a much longer period than most people would expect. I suspect that he, like myself, believes that a such 'captain' would demand payment 'up front' for the whole journey, plus food, knowing full well no person would stay the whole cruise.
B*ll*cks. You have no idea what my husband knows and don't ever presume to again.

My husband was warning women not to travel alone especially for overnight stays, felucca crew not having the best of reputations. Do I have to spell it out in more detail? .
WOW,......such language, evidently you have got out of the wrong side of a bed this morning down under.

Where I wrote with regards your husband, my term was that I ........SUSPECT, and NOT that I know. With regards to the captain of such a cruise, I can only assume that Carrie knows this person well and his family, she certainly is no tourist in Luxor.

I am very sorry to say that I am more than a little surprised at your language above, especially from a person with your past credentials,.......but then again they say we learn something new every day.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I appreciate your husband and his friends advise WI I would never contemplate making the journey alone, neither would I undertake a journey half cut as A Four seems to recommend.