Sisi opens biggest military base in Middle East and Africa

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Sisi opens biggest military base in Middle East and Africa

Post by DJKeefy »

A huge military base was opened in Egypt on Saturday, amid continued financial pressures for the country as Cairo cuts government spending in other areas.

The Mohammed Naguib Military Base is located close to the port city of Alexandria and the opening ceremony was attended by leading figures in the Arab world.

It includes more than 1,100 buildings, 72 training fields, two residential complexes and a huge convention centre making it in the largest military base in the Middle East and Africa.

The ceremony was attended by Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayyed and Libya warlord Khalifa Haftar.

It featured bare-chested soldiers lifting weights on a moving float. Other troops showed off their prowess with synchronised sit-up performances on moving trucks to a visibly proud Sisi.

phpBB [video]

President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi - a former general - said the military complex was vital to defeating "terrorism" and will protect a vast area of Egypt that has been shook by militancy.

"Egypt will remain a peace-loving nation and will never kowtow to terrorist threats and those behind them," Sisi told the crowd, making repeated thinly disguised swipes at Qatar who Cairo accuses of sponsoring militants.

"Terrorism, however, will be a catalyst for exerting more efforts at all levels."

The base is named after Egypt's first President Mohammed Naguib ousted after a brief period as head by Gamal Abdel Nasser.

It comes as Cairo continues to struggle to keep the finances stable with the economy nosediving after Sisi's 2013 overthrow of Egypt's first democratically elected government headed by Mohamad Morsi.

Egypt is looking at a IMF bailout to fund projects in the country but it has been the country's poorest who have paid the heaviest cost for austerity measures rolled out by Cairo to help curb government spending.

Prices have rocketed on basic commodities - from bread, to petrol, to metro tickets - as Egypt looks at cutting subsidies which have provided a safety net for the country's poorest.

Egypt's devalued currency has also made imported items such as cars considerably more expensive.

Although the budget for the armed forces is a closely kept secret, military spending for the developing country is likely to be huge.

Egypt's intervention in neighbouring Libya, the purchase of fighter jets, and the ongoing battle against a bloody insurgency in the Sinai will likely keep costs high.

Source: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/blog/ ... iddle-east

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Sisi opens biggest military base in Middle East and Afri

Post by newcastle »

Needless to say, alaraby is one of the news sites blocked in Egypt :lol:

What Egypt spends on its military , and how much the various parts of the military are involved in contributing (through their business empire) to GDP, remain a closely guarded secret. What effect the new base, let alone military spending generally, has on the economy as a whole is impossible to quantify.

The first part of the article is repeated throughout the news here. The latter part - the critique - isn't. :roll:

Lots of oiled muscles and gymnastics on display. If the next Middle East conflict is settled by arm-wrestling....my money's on Egypt !
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

One Egyptian army display I watched years ago showed what they called the elite biting the head of live chickens and eating them :sk

What did that prove :ni:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

During Mubarak's reign there used to be loads of military demonstrations on TV. Soldiers marching here and there displays by small boats with a proud President watching approvingly. Haven't seen any for ages.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:One Egyptian army display I watched years ago showed what they called the elite biting the head of live chickens and eating them :sk

What did that prove :ni:
Fascinating!

Makes Trooping the Colour look very.....boring :D

Was it the heads they ate....or the whole chicken?

Egypt does like to show its military might......even in relatively innocuous situations :

Naval forces rescued a tourist boat from drowning off the coast of Hurghada, the military spokesperson announced on Sunday.

The Navy received a mayday call from a boat called ‘Freedom’ before it began sinking off the coast of Hurghada city, at a distance of 4 nautical miles, amid very difficult weather conditions, the military spokesman added.

A naval unit headed to the boat and evacuated 10 people who were on board including three crew members. The boat was pulled by the naval unit to the Hurghada port and assistance was provided to the rescued, according to the statement.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/navy-re ... ada-coast/
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The whole chicken :sk videos are available somewhere on youtube I doubt you want to see them :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:The whole chicken :sk videos are available somewhere on youtube I doubt you want to see them :lol:
I found it.

Pretty disgusting....especially with the headless chicken still flapping around as it was eaten :sk
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

At least they got one square meal each that day although a tad of a feather brained decision.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I was always led to believe this was a Government for the people. Maybe the heads of the chickens were distributed among the poverty stricken people of Egypt so it made things better. Looks like Robert Sole is back in the Rugby Team again. :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

You start to see where the borrowed money is going though! No change there. Could this be the next North Korea?