Tax on gifts taken in to Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Tax on gifts taken in to Egypt

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Egypt taxes gifts brought in by travellers
July 6, 2017 at 1:49 pm

The Egyptian government’s decision to impose taxes on goods and gifts brought by passengers coming in to the country as of 1 July has raised criticism and anger among expatriates.

The list of goods covered by the new tax includes clothes, watches and personal equipment.

The Customs Authority said the decision will exempt new goods worth up to 1,500 Egyptian pounds ($83.83) and which are for personal use.

Journalist Ruqayya Faraj said: “[Egyptian President Abdel Fattah] Sisi has issued a decree imposing taxes on all goods and gifts brought by the expatriates which coincides with the holiday season and while many Egyptian families are returning to Egypt after Saudi Arabia

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20170 ... A&ampcf=1/

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Tax on gifts taken in to Egypt

Post by carrie »

I have seen Egyptians at the airport with bags and bags of stuff they are bringing home after working abroad for some time. I can see this going down like a lead balloon.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Well if I do make a return visit to Egypt, that ruling will guarantee that I can travel hand luggage only and remove an awful lot of shopping stress too!
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As long as they don't start deciding what holiday makers are bringing in are ''gifts'' or purely for personal use while here, it won't bother me, being a tight wad mine usually do not exceed $1. :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I was under the impression that ALL goods (of any value and with certain exceptions) imported to Egypt are subject to a variety of duties/taxes although they don't seem to bother much with obvious personal items, clothing etc. carried by foreign tourists

You don't imagine that X-ray on arrival is to detect bombs do you? :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:I was under the impression that ALL goods (of any value and with certain exceptions) imported to Egypt are subject to a variety of duties/taxes although they don't seem to bother much with obvious personal items, clothing etc. carried by foreign tourists

You don't imagine that X-ray on arrival is to detect bombs do you? :lol:
Yes, there already were tax rules on taking certain items into Egypt, as with any country. I've not compared the values of goods allowed but it could be that which has changed, and that they are going to be more observant in collecting the tax owed.

As for X-ray on arrival - I don't think my bags have ever been subject to X-ray on arrival... the customs officers do a perfectly thorough job of going through every bag and pocket I have without electrical tools! :roll:
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As for X-ray on arrival - I don't think my bags have ever been subject to X-ray on arrival... the customs officers do a perfectly thorough job of going through every bag and pocket I have without electrical tools! :roll:
As a woman, I'm sure you carry items of great interest to a prurient customs officer :lol:

Knickers & bras don't show up on the X-ray thingy ;)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:
As a woman, I'm sure you carry items of great interest to a prurient customs officer :lol:

Knickers & bras don't show up on the X-ray thingy ;)
:tk What about the underwire in the cups? They could think that it was some kind of devilish timing devise, a quick spring release coll. Then the boobies go boom.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have brought and declared all kinds of stuff into Luxor back that wan't available locally in the early 1990s - a vacuum cleaner, microwave, even electric sheep shears! The only thing that I had to pay "duty" on was once for school uniforms and clothes for my 4 stepchildren. While I was arguing the toss, my 6 year old step-son managed to get into the arrivals hall, ran up and jumped into my arms, just as the official said that he didn't believe I was bringing it in for my family.

He had the cheek to say that he would let me off 25% of the charge as he had seen proof of one child.

I think boredom made them go through all my cases.
Smile! It confuses people
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

On one occasion, (and this was done quite accidentally without any forethought or pre-planning) my suitcase was opened up, and I was asked what was concealed in the uppermost plastic bag. On being told it was bacon he hastily closed my suitcase and told me to be on my way.