Electronic visa to be instituted in May

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Electronic visa to be instituted in May

Post by newcastle »

In its weekly meeting Wednesday, the Cabinet approved the proposed electronic visa project, to be ready by May.

The project aims to renovate the passport and immigration system to keep pace with the latest passport systems around the world. The new system will contribute significantly to easing the burden on security authorities and tourists who visit Egypt, Minister of Communications and Information Technology Yasser al-Qady said in a press conference at the Cabinet headquarters on Wednesday.

"Tourists will be able to apply for a visa online via a barcode they will receive. After the approval of the Egyptian authorities, a copy of the visa is sent to them electronically," the minister added.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/el ... -egypt-may

I'll believe it when I see it :lol:

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: Electronic visa to be instituted in May

Post by BBLUX »

No doubt it will widely publicised in plenty of time before the introduction :ni:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Turkey implemented an electronic system for Tourist Visas several years ago with very few problems. Initially there was still a facility to buy a Visa on arrival; there is still a self operated unit- like an ATM - in most airports that allows you to buy a Visa, but only with a credit card and at an inflated price.

Two years ago electronic application for Residence Visas went live - but that's another matter!! Mega problems to start with, and still ongoing problems with the English language version. It is slowly getting better, and the government have made a very large investment in software, hardware, personnel and new regional offices. At least the requirements for a RP are unequivocal here, unlike the situation in Egypt, which seems to change almost weekly!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It'll be fascinating to see how this is rolled out by Egypt....a country not exactly renowned for embracing the use of plastic cards :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

The first time I drew money on my visa card - in a large bank in Cairo, it took about 45 minutes from the time I got to the first desk. I was sent to every desk or teller, some more than once. 8)
Smile! It confuses people
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear that you apply and pay for a Tourist visa online before your holiday. Only those neglecting to do so have to negotiate the card machines in airports. Not sure how many do, as the system has been in place for good while now, and is well advertised. Personally I wouldn't want to risk it eating my card :urm:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I learnt along time ago to stand behind I or even 2 Egyptians at an ATM was to waste one's time.... 8)
Ps: I could have a heart attack before they can figure how to work a 4 figure digit out......
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:I learnt along time ago to stand behind I or even 2 Egyptians at an ATM was to waste one's time.... 8)
Ps: I could have a heart attack before they can figure how to work a 4 figure digit out......
Try standing behind Russians :dv

As they usually can't read Arabic or English instructions, you have time to learn a few new skills while waiting...
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have just finished applying for my e visa for Turkey, couldn't have been simpler all I have to do now is print it off. Cost me 20 dollars. All done and dusted in 5 minutes. Let's just hope that Egypt introduces the same simple system.
By the way no bar codes involved.
Last edited by carrie on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

newcastle wrote:"Tourists will be able to apply for a visa online via a barcode they will receive. After the approval of the Egyptian authorities, a copy of the visa is sent to them electronically,"
Does this make any sense?

You need a barcode to apply for a visa online, then when approved the visa is sent electronically?
newcastle wrote:In its weekly meeting Wednesday, the Cabinet approved the proposed electronic visa project, to be ready by May.
So an IT project is going from design and build to testing and implementation in two months.

In Egypt.

:lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Visa cost me £21 quid this time and a haircut in El Gouna nearly cost 250le until I told him I live here,
and usually pay 25le including, shave, haircut & fettler... 8)
Ps: Mind you looking at all the moored floating 'gin palaces, I don't blame him for trying, these people here have more money than sense....
Pss: Mind you the hairdresser had once cut Omar Sheriffs hair....'la whaala!
P*ss: Mind you David Beckham has a boat here so that speaks volumes for the cognisenti.....
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:Visa cost me £21 quid this time and a haircut in El Gouna nearly cost 250le until I told him I live here,
and usually pay 25le including, shave, haircut & fettler... 8)
Ps: Mind you looking at all the moored floating 'gin palaces, I don't blame him for trying, these people here have more money than sense....
Pss: Mind you the hairdresser had once cut Omar Sheriffs hair....'la whaala!
P*ss: Mind you David Beckham has a boat here so that speaks volumes for the cognisenti.....
As you've discovered, El Gouna, whilst geographically in Egypt, has very little "Egyptian-ness" about it :lol:

You could be in any civilised, purpose-built, resort.

I quite like the place although it does get a bit gruesome when the hooray-Henry, bratpack kids of Cairo's elite hit the town at festival time. Racing around in their BMWs, getting hideously drunk on expensive whiskies and trying to emulate the worst of Western culture.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yildez and I stayed there last Jan, like you say Newcastle you could be anywhere in the world, so many Germans there that we thought at one time we had swopped continents, we enjoyed it there though.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Seeing as it's Juma and the absence of any muezzin here, the closure of the supermarkets at prayer time does remind one
ever so slightly that it's a holy day,
And all I wanted to buy was a packet of Cleopatra's, not possible in my immediate environs...8)
Sophocles.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote:I have just finished applying for my e visa for Turkey, couldn't have been simpler all I have to do now is print it off. Cost me 20 dollars. All done and dusted in 5 minutes. Let's just hope that Egypt introduces the same simple system.
By the way no bar codes involved.

Although I have advised Carrie to print her Visa, actually there's no need. As soon as Security scan her passport they'll see the Visa on their screen. Guess I'm just a "belt and braces" kind of gal!
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I made a mistake on my last Turkish visa after I had paid for it, I manage to get my own name wrong.... :br
I managed to edit said visa and printed it out, but it mattered not, as no one ever asked to see my visa, as it is automatically tagged to my passport once purchased.
All they see is a valid visa against my passport number whenever my passport was scanned.
So in effect ALL I needed to get right on my visa application was my passport number... :cg
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:Seeing as it's Juma and the absence of any muezzin here, the closure of the supermarkets at prayer time does remind one
ever so slightly that it's a holy day,
And all I wanted to buy was a packet of Cleopatra's, not possible in my immediate environs...8)
They don't allow a Macdonalds in El Gouna....maybe Cleopatras are also deemed "too naff" :lol:

As the Sawiris family are Copts, you'll have noticed two lovely churches and the absence minarets. Of course there are pseudo-mosques/prayer rooms for the muslim workers. Can't recall ever having heard the call to prayer in El Gouna.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Could this have anything to do with the lack of Cleopatras?

http://www.luxor4u.com/forum/viewtopic. ... cleopatras

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

John Landon wrote:I made a mistake on my last Turkish visa after I had paid for it, I manage to get my own name wrong.... :br
I managed to edit said visa and printed it out, but it mattered not, as no one ever asked to see my visa, as it is automatically tagged to my passport once purchased.
All they see is a valid visa against my passport number whenever my passport was scanned.
So in effect ALL I needed to get right on my visa application was my passport number... :cg
How do you think poor old Justin is going to manage, bet the poor sod tries at least five times before he eventually latches onto the fact that his other names were only AKA pretend ones. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.