Domestic airfares

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Domestic airfares

Post by newcastle »

The Egyptian cabinet confirmed on Sunday that the prices of tickets for domestic flights to popular touristic destinations will not increase, state official news agency MENA reported.

The cabinet's information and support centre said in a report that the country's state-owned airline EgyptAir has not raised the prices of domestic flights to Luxor, Aswan, Sharm El-Sheikh and Hurghada, dismissing news reports that ticket prices had doubled.

Domestic flights to the aforementioned destinations are sold below original costs as they are part of the "Egypt in our hearts" initiative, which aims to encourage domestic tourism.

Last week, EgyptAir announced that prices of tickets for its international flights would be pegged to the doll

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... ghts-.aspx

I've just been looking at a day trip to Cairo from Hurghada and, sure enough, there are return flights from about 1200 EGP i.e.$75.

Not bad IMHO :)

Returns to Cairo from Luxor are a little more.....from 1300EGP

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Domestic airfares

Post by carrie »

I have just booked a flight from Hurghada to Izmir in Turkey via Istanbul, for 144 GBP return, and that is with extra baggage. Turkey seems to be doing everything to encourage tourists to return there, Egypt apart from internal flights costs not being increased, seems to be putting more and more obstacles in the way. :tk
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I have just booked a flight from Hurghada to Izmir in Turkey via Istanbul, for 144 GBP return, and that is with extra baggage. Turkey seems to be doing everything to encourage tourists to return there, Egypt apart from internal flights costs not being increased, seems to be putting more and more obstacles in the way. :tk
What do you mean by "obstacles" Carrie?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:
carrie wrote:I have just booked a flight from Hurghada to Izmir in Turkey via Istanbul, for 144 GBP return, and that is with extra baggage. Turkey seems to be doing everything to encourage tourists to return there, Egypt apart from internal flights costs not being increased, seems to be putting more and more obstacles in the way. :tk
What do you mean by "obstacles" Carrie?
Plane wreckage probably.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Obstacles. The all too frequent cancellation of EA internal flights making it often a nightmare to fly via Cairo to Luxor. The lack of flights from anywhere except Heathrow to Luxor, those but once a week and liable to be cancelled during the summer months. The cost of flights. The hassle when you land getting the visa.
When I booked my flight to Istanbul I had a number of airlines to chose from, I could fly any day of the week. The visa is readily available on line.
It was announced that Thom Cook where resuming flights into Luxor, look at the Thom Cook web site they don't seem to know anything about it, misinformation, lack of clarity even down to the amount of baggage you are allowed on EA flights.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Most of your "obstacles" don't seem to be the responsibility of Egypt. It doesn't control the international tourism market and the flights (lack of) to Egypt. Nor are they responsible for Thomas Cook.

EA (as do other carriers) lays on flights according to what it perceives as the demand.

As to the EA connection from Cairo...I haven't heard of any serious issues.

I assume the tourist visa situation at Luxor airport is the same as Hurghada....you go to the bank (avoiding the touts), hand over your $25 and....bingo!

What is true is that Egypt has spent $20 million dollars on improving the security situation at Sharm airport, in an effort to get the Brits & Russians to return (in vain so far).

They are also spending $68 million over 3 years with JWT, professionally marketing Egypt as a tourism destination.