New fare for micro-bus, taxi after fuel prices increase

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Al-Masry Al-Youm Sun, 06/11/2016 - 15:49

Egypt's raise in fuel prices made new hikes to transportation fares all over the country, with the government pledging to keep prices for buses of Cairo Transport Authority unchanged.

Government sources told al-Masry al-Youm they are studying raising the white taxi's fare to cope with the recent hike in fuel prices.

Cairo governorate announced Sunday new fares to micro-buses.

The fare hikes will include a 50-piaster increase for long distances, 25 piasters for medium distances, and 10 to 15 percent for short distances, starting from today.

Meanwhile, Giza governorate on Saturday approved a new fare for micro-buses with an increase of 10 percent to 20 percent.

Governor of Giza Mohamed al-Daly said that the new fares were agreed upon after meetings with representatives of the traffic department and drivers.

In several governorates, clashes have erupted between commuters and micro-bus drivers who demanded higher prices for the trips, claiming that the new fares set by the local authorities are not sufficient.

In Qalyubiya governorate, commuters complained that some drivers doubled the fare, an increase of 100 percent, and divided the distance into several rides, in order to gain more money.

South Sinai governorate saw altercations between passengers and taxi drivers who raised their fare from LE5 to LE10 for trips inside the governorate cities.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/ne ... s-increase

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: New fare for micro-bus, taxi after fuel prices increase

Post by Major Thom »

That's Cairo what about the Governatss, are they going up more, to provide for the Capital? The price quoted seem to be for the richer people of Cairo and not for the poverty struck other parts.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Yes, but in Cairo there is cab sharing 24/7, here I always give 1le and 'tsk if they try to offer change.
Similar trips in London are 1000% higher... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Been paying a pound on the local buses for years, would never insult myself by asking for the change, but I know quite a few that do. Good value for money, even at double that cost, but not so for the locals.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I was in Luxor the last time the bus fares went up. There was uproar among many of the passengers and chaos at the West Bank (ferry) bus station. I'm sure the fares will go up again, and just hope they are a by a sensible percentage for local users.

I have always been surprised that the ferry fare has stayed the same price for so many years. I, wrongly, anticipated the fare to cross the Nile to go up when the new (now old) ferries came into use. Surely that fare of 1LE will have to go up sooner or later!

It's a great shame that when the new taxies came in, that they were not forced to use meters or at least show real fare stages. I think it will be taxi fares that catch most people (tourists) out and cause the kerbside arguments over fares.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I have always been surprised that the ferry fare has stayed the same price for so many years. I, wrongly, anticipated the fare to cross the Nile to go up when the new (now old) ferries came into use. Surely that fare of 1LE will have to go up sooner or later!
Because it is public, the fair is negotiated once a year, I have forgotten when, but it is expected to go up next time. A shared motorboat, which used to cost the same per passenger as the ferry, is now two gineh for locals and foreigners alike, I am told.

The new (now old) ferries are shining with gold, fresh pharaonic paint and life belts.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:I have always been surprised that the ferry fare has stayed the same price for so many years. I, wrongly, anticipated the fare to cross the Nile to go up when the new (now old) ferries came into use. Surely that fare of 1LE will have to go up sooner or later'cap!
Because it is public, the fair is negotiated once a year, I have forgotten when, but it is expected to go up next time. A shared motorboat, which used to cost the same per passenger as the ferry, is now two gineh for locals and foreigners alike, I am told.

The new (now old) ferries are shining with gold, fresh pharaonic paint and life belts.
I've seldom used the motorboats, and only ever when I've been in the company of Egyptian friends so never paid my own fare. I've heard some pretty hair raising stories over the years about some of the 'captains' and their treatment of passengers. Likewise, I've known many non Egyptians use them regularly without incident.

Life Belts on the Ferry - ah yes, I remember them well! I think on the new (now old, but tarted up) ferries they lasted barely any longer than the No Smoking posters. :roll:
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The local bus has gone up from 75 piastres to 1le. Now that may not seem a lot but if you have three kids all going to school and needing bus fares that's an extra 1.50 per day return. Add it up over a week, together with increase food costs, raised electricity prices, wages aren't rising, I see trouble ahead.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My friend says she was charged 1.50Le per trip today. Six buses from home to here and back. She says to me, don't get upset as I will probably be seeing less of her per week because of this. :jig:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Now you know you don't mean that Dusak :) and in any event you can always help her with the bus fares, it must be worth that just for her company :up