Disney in talks to build theme park in Egypt: Minister

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Disney in talks to build theme park in Egypt: Minister

Post by DJKeefy »

Disney is considering building a theme park in Egypt, its first in the Middle East, state-run news agency MENA reported on Tuesday.

"There are discussions going on between Disney International to build in Egypt its first Disney Park in the Middle East, similar to Disney France," Ashraf Salman, Egypt's investment minister, said on Tuesday.

Salman's declarations were made during the launching of a live Disney show on Tuesday, which features a cast of Disney characters in a magic-themed performance at Cairo International Convention Centre until 22 November.

"Having a Disney show in Egypt at the moment sends a message to the world and to foreign investors that Egypt is safe and stable," Salman said.

The Walt Disney Company was not available to confirm the news of the theme park in Egypt.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/115854.aspx

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Disney in talks to build theme park in Egypt: Minister

Post by Bullet Magnet »

My Grandad used to send cartoons he drew of Disney characters to my Mum when he was stationed in Egypt... Maybe he was an accidental prophet.. ? :cool:
I wonder if Zahi will be available to project manage the job... :tk
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well if they do decide to build it, which I hope they do, they have plenty of Micky Mouse builders to choose from. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bet they don't build it in the Nile valley in Upper Egypt!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think the Sesame Street group should put in a bid too. After all...there are plenty of Muppets about. I don't know how they'd cope with Miss Piggy being an executive though. ;) :)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Brian Yare wrote:Bet they don't build it in the Nile valley in Upper Egypt!
Bloody well hope not, I remember thinking after the Millennium debacle with those ruddy penguins walking across the desert at Giza, it will be Luxor next calesh drivers dressed as Tutankhamen… :cool:
Hurgharda is more likely….
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

And now Disney has denied it. Which if you had read between the lines of the original post, should have been clear from the beginning.

All that happened was an official suggested to a Disney exec that they should open a theme park and this official also mused that Egypt is stable because they are putting on a live show for a few days. And then issued a press release. A PR exercise, nothing more.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Like Glyph says.....

No, Disney is not opening a Disneyland in Egypt.

Could some of that Disneyland magic be coming to Egypt? Egypt's investment minister seems to think so. "There are discussions going on between Disney International to build in Egypt its first Disney Park in the Middle East, similar to Disney France," Ashraf Salman said on Tuesday, according to the state-run news MENA agency.

Salman made his comments at a live Disney event at the Cairo International Convention Center, an occasion that he said sent a message about the country. "Having a Disney show in Egypt at the moment sends a message to the world and to foreign investors that Egypt is safe and stable," said Salman, a former banker who was appointed this summer.

The news about a possible Disney park in Egypt caused a flurry of excitement in the country, once a major tourism destination. Since the 2011 protests that eventually ousted President Hosni Mubarak, the country had seen a dramatic and persistent decline in the number of tourists picking Egypt as their destination: The Ministry of Tourism just recently announced a 24.7 percent drop in tourism revenues for the first half of 2014.

Unfortunately, Disney have flat out denied any plans for a new park in Egypt. "At Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we continually look for ways to grow our business and as part of that process, we have conversations with many different entities," a spokesperson for the company said in an e-mailed statement. "While Egypt is an attractive market, we have no plans for the region at this time."

While that's sad news for Egypt's Disney fans, there may be a silver lining here: The company that operates Disneyland Paris recently announced a $150 million loss for the past year, forcing parent company Walt Disney to step in with a new funding deal.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... -in-egypt/
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I bet China now steps in to fill the void left by the 'satan of the west, The Jackie Chan fun park, sounds great!…. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well, that is a disappointment, suppose that we will just have to remain content with the cartoon characters we already have here in good old Luxor, exit stage left. :snig:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.