Egyptian Cabbage

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egyptian Cabbage

Post by DJKeefy »

Cooking cabbage rolls- In Egyptian cuisine, cabbage rolls are called محشي كرمب, pronounced maḥshī kromb or maḥshī koronb (as Standard Arabic [m] often turns to [n] in proximity to in Egyptian Arabic), literally translating to "stuffed cabbage".

The leaves are fresh and commonly cut into smaller pieces and partially pre-cooked. The most common filling is a mixture of rice, onion, tomato, herbs, and spices (most typically including mint, dill, and cumin); meat is rarely used in Egyptian stuffed cabbage. The rolls are arranged in a pot and boiled in broth or tomato-based sauce, also including the herbs and spices.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Egyptian Cabbage

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I love mahshi kromb and really appreciate every mouthful when I do have it knowing how labour intensive it can be to make.

:eat I would so love some now. They would help warm me up on the inside on this cold and gloomy day.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:eat Thanks for the post Keefy :eat I now have a strong craving FOR cabbage rolls! :eat

'Tis true that the making of cabbage rolls are pretty labour intensive but the work is definitely worth it and what is best is that after a day of making cabbage rolls (and personally once I started making them I made as many as I could) they're so easy to freeze and then bring out to eat for months. :eat :eat

The only aspect of cabbage rolls I don't particularly like it using wooden toothpicks to secure them closed. Anybody else have any handy dandy cooking tips for a better way to keep cabbage rolls closed?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

LovelyLadyLux wrote::eat Thanks for the post Keefy :eat I now have a strong craving FOR cabbage rolls! :eat

'Tis true that the making of cabbage rolls are pretty labour intensive but the work is definitely worth it and what is best is that after a day of making cabbage rolls (and personally once I started making them I made as many as I could) they're so easy to freeze and then bring out to eat for months. :eat :eat

The only aspect of cabbage rolls I don't particularly like it using wooden toothpicks to secure them closed. Anybody else have any handy dandy cooking tips for a better way to keep cabbage rolls closed?
Do you blanch your cabbage leaves first before cutting into suitable size pieces? This helps seal the roll as the leaves are still moist when filled and sort of stick together better.
-Aldous Huxley
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Hepzi - yes. Usually I buy the biggest cabbage I can find, core them as best as possible and then steam the cabbage 'til I can wiggle a leaf off. I then blanch the leaves to make them soft and plyable so I can do a roll and fold tucking in the edges etc. I was taught to then skewer the roll shut through the stem end of the leaf with toothpicks. It is no biggie but it always then means removing the toothpicks one your plate when you're eating them which usually make everything a tad messy. Invariably if I don't toothpick my cabbage rolls shut they do fall apart and scoop out the pot or bowl looser.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

You need to pack them more closely in the pan.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Will do. I've seen other people bring out cabbage rolls that are quite squared and compact and not falling apart. I roll mine tight (I think I am anyway) but still seem to be doing something wrong.

My cabbage rolls are tasty enough just sloppy.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I used to (try to ) help my friends make it. They blanched the individual leaves, cut out the stork bit and then cut the leaves into squares. They then stuffed the rolls - often having finely chopped the trimmings and stalks and added to the filling mix - and would generally get a double layer of cabbage around each roll. I've never seen cocktail sticks used in Egypt for this purpose.
-Aldous Huxley
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've blanched the leaves but have never cut them into squares or sizes. Have just left them as they are stuffing them biggest to smallest as I go. Maybe next time I'll try squaring off the leaves. Usually I'm putting the filling onto top of the heaviest part of the rib and rolling towards the lighter outward tips.