UK FCO Advice 31/07/14

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

UK FCO Advice 31/07/14

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Summary
Still current at: 31 July 2014
Updated: 31 July 2014
Latest update: Summary - the FCO now advise against all but essential travel to within 50km of the Libya border and the desert areas in south-west Egypt including the oases at Farafra, Dakhla and Bawati
For the map see the website: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

There is a high threat from terrorism. Three South Korean tourists and their driver were killed at Taba (Sinai) on 16 February, and the group responsible has threatened further attacks. See below for more detail.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:

the Governorate of North Sinai due to the significant increase in criminal activity and recent terrorist attacks on police and security forces that have resulted in deaths
The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:

the Governorates of Beni Suef, Minya, Asyut and Sohag
the Governorate of South Sinai, with the exception of the area within the Sharm el Sheikh perimeter barrier, which includes the airport and the areas of Sharm el Maya, Hadaba, Naama Bay, Sharks Bay and Nabq
within 50km of the border with Libya (excluding the town of Siwa)
the desert areas in south-west Egypt, including the oases at Farafra, Dakhla and Bawati

Terrorism

We believe that terrorists continue to plan attacks. Attacks could be indiscriminate and could occur without prior warning. Terrorists could target protestors and the Egyptian authorities. Attacks have mainly been aimed at the security forces, their facilities and other government buildings. You should take great care near these buildings. Attacks targeting foreigners in tourist resorts and elsewhere can’t be ruled out.

There were a number of explosions in Cairo on 25 June, including at some Metro stations. There are reports of injuries. Metro services were suspended temporarily but have now resumed.

On 2 May 2014, there were bomb blasts in El Tor (Al Tur) in South Sinai targeting a police check point and a bus. On the same day there was an explosion outside a court building in Heliopolis in Cairo. There were a number of deaths and injuries.

On 16 February, 3 South Korean tourists and their driver were killed in an attack on a bus in Taba (Sinai). See Terrorism

Sharm el Sheikh

Enhanced security measures are in place to protect the Sharm el Sheikh resort areas. Egyptian military are situated in Sharm el Sheikh international airport, at check points around the perimeter of Sharm el Sheikh and throughout the South Sinai Governorate. Routine security checks are being performed on entry into the airport and the police are carrying out vehicle checks in Sharm el-Sheikh. There were no violent protests in the South Sinai resorts during recent disturbances in Egypt.

Hurghada

Enhanced security measures are in place to protect the resort areas in Hurghada. Egyptian military are situated in and around Hurghada international airport. There are checkpoints around Hurghada and throughout the Red Sea Governorate. There are roadblocks in place in the town and monitoring of areas often frequented by tourists. In Hurghada on 14 August 2013 there were some violent clashes, in an area away from tourist resorts. One man was killed.

Protests and demonstrations

There is an increased risk of demonstrations across Egypt on and around 30 June, 3 July and 14 August. Demonstrations may take place around these dates to mark the first anniversary of significant events in 2013.

Protests, marches and demonstrations are common across Egypt. Demonstrations often happen on Fridays, but can occur at any time and with little prior notice.

The atmosphere at demonstrations can change quickly and without warning. Police may use water cannon, tear gas, birdshot or live ammunition for crowd control.

There have been several violent clashes since July 2013 resulting in a large number of deaths. Most of the clashes have taken place in Cairo and Alexandria. At protests in Cairo, Alexandria and Fayoum on 24 and 25 January 2014 there were reports of around 80 deaths. There are ongoing protests and clashes within university campuses across the country.

If you become aware of any nearby protests, leave the area immediately. Don’t attempt to cross road blocks erected by the security forces or protesters. Make sure you keep valid photographic identification with you at all times. Take particular care in areas with a history of regular protests. At protests on 24 and 25 January westerners, including British Nationals, were singled out and attacked by some protestors. See Safety and security

There is a serious risk of violence and sexual assault at demonstrations. NGOs report more than 100 rapes and sexual assaults against women in demonstrations since 30 June 2013. Foreign and Egyptian women have been attacked. See Safety and security

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: UK FCO Advice 31/07/14

Post by carrie »

Thanks for the info.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

So, lots of old news being regurgitated, with the exception of a possibility of something happening on August 14th.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Good old Govern-ment, Keepin' da fear real in de people... init... :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Bullet Magnet wrote:So, lots of old news being regurgitated, with the exception of a possibility of something happening on August 14th.

Not a news bulletin thou if you are going to update something they could remove dates that have past unless ready for next year.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I'm sad that Dhakla is included, I'd hoped to visit there later this year. :(
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Bombay wrote:
Bullet Magnet wrote:So, lots of old news being regurgitated, with the exception of a possibility of something happening on August 14th.

Not a news bulletin thou if you are going to update something they could remove dates that have past unless ready for next year.
I've always assumed, rightly or wrongly, that the dates of events past are there to show continuity - to show that this is/these are on going things.
-Aldous Huxley
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

I'd like to know why James Watt has resigned from the Diplomatic Service.
I can't find anything about this on the internet, nor much about our new man
in Cairo except he's been involved with the UK government of late, he speaks Arabic,
and he will be in office sometime this month.

As for the FCO advice, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't ....
I think the potential problems on the Egyptian/Libyan boarder should be considered
seriously.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Remus wrote:I'd like to know why James Watt has resigned from the Diplomatic Service.
I can't find anything about this on the internet, nor much about our new man
in Cairo except he's been involved with the UK government of late, he speaks Arabic,
and he will be in office sometime this month.

As for the FCO advice, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't ....
I think the potential problems on the Egyptian/Libyan boarder should be considered
seriously.
Edit - I've erased my original post. I may have confused James Watt with someone else so will have check my facts before posting. :oops:
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Maybe Dhakla will be cleared before we plan to go Yildez, I hope so was looking forward to it.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Am surprised there was nothing warning people about my imminent arrival :ni: :ni: :ni: :up
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Remus wrote:I'd like to know why James Watt has resigned from the Diplomatic Service.
I can't find anything about this on the internet,
Why should you ?

The posting of ambassador is not political, nor is it part of the civil service, as we know it under the Civil Service Commission. It is more than likely that he's moved over to 'the Betty Davis eyes group' on the Southbank,...............though I am sure Remus, you will know more than I.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Zooropa your not here yet, just open your eyes when you arrive and see all the banners out along the corniche, the big placards outside the Nile Palace. Warnings galore. :lol:
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

That good old map just keeps getting smaller and smaller doesn't it?
How long before......
Or is that outwith realms of possibility?
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd liken it to the buzzards are circling!!
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

A-Four suggests: It is more than likely that he's moved over to 'the Betty Davis eyes group' on the Southbank.

You might be right. The present guy at MI6, John Sawyers, was ambassador here in Cairo before and during the Iraq war. I think I've heard that he's about to stand down. An arabist like Watt might be very useful to them ....