Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi is Egypt's new president

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi is Egypt's new president

Post by DJKeefy »

Although results will be confirmed next week, it is certain that ex-army chief has defeated rival Hamdeen Sabahi.

Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi is Egypt's new president after securing a landslide victory of over 96 percent of the valid votes, with over 23 million voters casting their ballots for him, according to an unofficial vote count as of early Thursday.

El-Sisi's only contender, leftist Hamdeen Sabahi, garnered a humble 3.5 percent, with less than 800,000 votes. The turnout is around 47 percent.

A surprise in the 2014 presidential race was the number of invalidated votes – exceeding 1 million – which prompted jokes on social media that Sabahi and the spoilt ballots were competing for second place in the election.

Although the results are announced by the judges supervising polling centres across the country, they are still considered unofficial as they must be verified and then announced by the Presidential Elections Commission (PEC), the judicial body overseeing the poll.

Judge Tarek Shebl, a member of the PEC's general secretariat, told Al-Ahram's Arabic news website early on Thursday that the official results will be announced either Sunday or Monday, 1 or 2 June.

El-Sisi's victory had long been predicted.

Polling centres began counting votes on Wednesday, the third and final electoral day, at 9pm CLT (6pm GMT). As the results began to come in, Egyptians took to the streets and stayed until the early hours of Thursday morning to celebrate, waving El-Sisi's campaign posters and bringing traffic to a standstill.

A spokesman for El-Sisi’s campaign was already speaking like a winner after midnight on Thursday, thanking the "Egyptian people for putting their trust in Field Marshal Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi".

Speaking to satellite Channel MBC Masr, spokesman Abdallah El-Moghazy said El-Sisi’s campaign didn't need the additional day of voting, citing the ex-army chief’s sweeping victory.

On Tuesday, the PEC added a third day of voting on Wednesday, which many said was driven by fears of low turnout. The decision brought formal complaints from both candidates – which in turn were rejected by the PEC.

However, El-Moghazy said that the media scared people by saying that voter participation was less than ideal, which he claimed was not true.

El-Moghazy said Egyptians went to polling centres for only one “motive”: the love of Egypt and their beliefs in El-Sisi – unlike the temptations offered in the era of Hosni Mubarak, when bread, oil and grains were offered to get people to vote, he said.

The presidential election was the second since the 25 January 2011 revolution that led to the ouster of autocrat Hosni Mubarak.

In 2012, the Muslim Brotherhood's Mohamed Morsi won in a runoff with 52 percent, just over 13 million votes. The turnout was 51 percent.

This was the first foreign-monitored election in Egypt's history. The European Union had 150 monitors across Egypt, which the EU said maintained their impartiality, neither legitimising the Egyptian electoral process nor validating the election results. The African Union and the Arab League are also observing the elections.

On Thursday, the EU delegation will hold a press conference to reveal its primary findings.

Also present to monitor the election were the African Union, Arab League and Arab Parliament, as well as a number of NGOs.

The election took place in a generally peaceful atmosphere amidst months of a surge in terrorism since the Morsi's ouster last July.

An improvised explosive device exploded on Monday, the first day of voting, but led to no injuries. Some minor clashes also occurred on Monday between police and Morsi supporters in Cairo, Alexandria and Minya governorates, but were dispersed rapidly by security forces.

On Tuesday, the second day, another improvised explosive device went off in Cairo's Heliopolis, leaving one citizen with minor injuries.

Late on Wednesday, Judge Mohamed Khairy was transported to a hospital after he was shot while on his way to a central polling centre in Qalioubiya's Benha to hand in votes, head of Sky News Arabia Samir Omar reported.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/102438.aspx

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi is Egypt's new president

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt presidential elections 2014 - Latest vote count by governorate

Ahram Online compiled and calculated results according to polling centres unofficial voting tallies approved by presiding judges in 100 per cent of Egypt's governorates.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/ui/front/townvotes.aspx
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

As I predicted yesterday, Middle and Upper Egypt did not give Sisi the result that he desired. Only one third bothered to vote, take away from that, the families of the police, army and other civil servants and that figure falls to less than a quarter.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Still, 90% of those who did vote..
Bet no one could have predicted that... :cg Better than Mubarak's 85 % in his last election, so it must be legit'. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Bullet Magnet wrote:Still, 90% of those who did vote..
Bet no one could have predicted that... :cg Better than Mubarak's 85 % in his last election, so it must be legit'. :cool:

Ah but Bullet, you have not given the full result here, which is most important in a surreal democratic country that Egypt has now become,.......

Mr Sisi. - 94%.

Mr Spoit Vote. - 4%.

Mr Other Bloke. - 2%.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Wish Hafiz would come back to forum and give us his/her opinion.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Scottishtourist wrote:Wish Hafiz would come back to forum and give us his/her opinion.
You know, daft as it may sound ST, I was just looking through all those people in the list who still look on this forum, quite often I might add, though never comment these days. Hafiz is quite brilliant, his/her knowledge on many Egyptian issues are brilliant.

Such people as Arthur, Jewel, Kevininabydos, Glyphdoctor, even Teddyboy, that's without mentioning Jane A, she and I often had huge bust ups on here on the late night show, but we always got on well otherwise, that is, when she was not trying to sell her products on here.

Debates on here were a pleasure to read, often strong words, but you admired the person for their forthright view, whether you agreed or not. These days on this form, I sense that many know each other quite well, and always seem to give loyalty even in the most ridiculous state. I do not have much experience in this forum world, but one thing I do know, and that is truth is far more important than loyalty.

A-Four.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Careful,careful A-Four!Go gently!

You'll soon be accused of "tippling" in the afternoon by the "paragon of virtue"brigade!

Ps. I got nice unopened bottle of "Glenmorangie."
Bids anyone?I'll be back Luxor in October.

Willing to "negotiate"to "help the poor!"
Beats Marmite any day!

Dr,Dr (Who)...please show your support!!!

Anyway,I digress.Come back Hafiz!Give us your views and opinions.Some of us are interested in the truth!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Scottishtourist wrote:Careful,careful A-Four!Go gently!

You'll soon be accused of "tippling" in the afternoon by the "paragon of virtue"brigade
Oh don't you worry about me ST, most of them know to give me a very wide berth. They know only too well that I will set a sprat to catch,..........

With you, you're like a fox that visits the hen houses only at the week end, and you know that will keep them clucking right up until the following Friday, God bless you ST, they still havant twigged yet.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist wrote:Ps. I got nice unopened bottle of "Glenmorangie."
Bids anyone?I'll be back Luxor in October.

Willing to "negotiate"to "help the poor!"
Beats Marmite any day!

Don't just talk the talk - walk the walk and give it a go. Nominate a registered Luxor Charity to receive the funds and you never know what may happen.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

O.K..give me one then Hepzibah!

Don't reckon I'll get many offers,Scottishtourist and all that!

Who2 too intested in the Marmite for culinary purposes!

Does no-one want to enjoy themselves?Enjoy a malt?

Startin bid 150le.Less than I paid for it.(present from brother)Will leave it at Gaddis Reception.I don't need to know who bid for it and want it.But...it'll be there if anyone interested!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist wrote:O.K..give me one then Hepzibah!

Startin bid 150le.Less than I paid for it.(present from brother)Will leave it at Gaddis Reception.I don't need to know who bid for it and want it.But...it'll be there if anyone interested!
Suggest you start a new, dedicated thread for this. You will also have to name your selected registered charity that works in Luxor.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Scottishtourist wrote:O.K..give me one then Hepzibah!

Pity when you have to pay for your own prezzies. :lol:

I don't drink, but if it is going to charity then I will bid 200Le and give it away as an Xmas gift to someone I know appreciates a good dram.

The truth always out's the untruths, but the problem is, concerning here, when you speak the truth you are accused of embellishing the true facts. Always a no win situation. As for the never heard from again members, if they are not now deceased, they probably got fed up with all the rag, tag and bobtail comments made on serious points being made. [apart from of course, those made by some when attempting to sell their autobiography.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

One has simply got to love this forum, it's amazing how a thread about a newly elected president for Egypt, becomes an auction for a bottle of scotch. :up :lol: :lol:
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.