Ministry of Agriculture fights encroachment...

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Ministry of Agriculture fights encroachment...

Post by DJKeefy »

Ministry of Agriculture fights encroachment onto agricultural lands.

Minister of Agriculture and Land Reclamation Ayman Farid Abu Hadid announced that 405 agriculture engineers working at the ministry have been given the right to judicially seize encroached agricultural lands during an interview on the Egyptian satellite channel CBC.

The agriculture minister said that regular training sessions will be held for the agriculture engineers to educate them on their roles, the boundaries of their authorities and the punishment they will receive if they misuse this authority.

“In 2011, we requested that the Land Protection Agency have that right but it did not happen,” Abu Hadid said.

“In this government, as soon as we requested a judicial seizure right, the Minister of Justice approved,” he added.

Abu Hadid pointed out that those given that right will be allowed to file a complaint and submit it to the prosecution, which will make the process more effective and time efficient.

The minister said: “The danger is not just in the agriculture lands that have been violated by building over them, but in the fact that it has become a direction and a culture of the people.”

“Even if we continued with the reclamation of new agricultural lands, the problem will persist and [investments will be lost],” he added.

The minister admitted that, in terms of authorities’ efforts to prevent the spread of this “encroachment culture”, the government has been absent to “a large extent”.

Abu-Hadid added that such monitoring is not the role of the government alone, and it should be assisted by the public, which he said “must understand that the effects on them of the exploitation of Egypt’s limited agricultural resources.”

On the new constitution, the minister said that “it includes articles that promise to protect agriculture lands and the rights of farmers.”

Source: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/12/1 ... ral-lands/

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Ministry of Agriculture fights encroachment...

Post by A-Four »

The silence of the lambs.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Will they also fight encroachment of archaeological sites onto agricultural land? <gd&rvvf>
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yeah, well what do you expect? Almost everyone here probably is sitting on top of land that was agricultural land in the not too distant past or has antiquities underneath, even if it isn't considered as such at the moment. Fortunately, due to the luck of geography, I can like this post without being a hypocrite or self-destructive, because our home is on top of neither and the land underneath has been that way for millennia.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Apparently a new road is to be built to Deir el-Bahri (Hatshepsut's mortuary temple). What is wrong with the current one, and what will be destroyed by building a newer bigger road? There must be a better use for the money.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I would doubt that a new road is to be planned - but the old one is deteriorating to the point of giving a car or coach suspension problems. I'd think it's more likely that the present road is to be repaired/resurfaced.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan