Headgear worn by Muslim women

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Headgear worn by Muslim women

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Wearing niqab doesn't necessarily mean people will think you are Egyptian. They might actually think you are an Arab with even more money to spend. They might think you are prostitutes too. I have an American friend who chose to wear niqab here (in fact, her Egyptian husband was opposed) for 5 years and she used to still get harassment.

Some people may treat you differently because you wear a headscarf, but there are two factors at play here, religion and appearance. A headscarf can sometimes hide the fact at first glance that you aren't from Egypt, depending on your hair color that might make a huge difference. However, I have an Egyptian friend from Cairo who doesn't cover her hair and when dressed in jeans in Luxor she got mistaken for a foreign tourist. We were out and about together and they would ignore me and pester her. And if you are a non-Egyptian who looks Egyptian but aren't covered, you can get more hassle because you aren't covered than a non-Egyptian who doesn't look Egyptian and people don't expect them to cover. So it really is more complex than you might think.

And then there is the whole issue of social status. You are an educated, professional woman. There are certain ways that you would not be able to dress without looking like you were dressing down too much.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Wearing niqab doesn't necessarily mean people will think you are Egyptian. They might actually think you are an Arab with even more money to spend. They might think you are prostitutes too. I have an American friend who chose to wear niqab here (in fact, her Egyptian husband was opposed) for 5 years and she used to still get harassment.

Some people may treat you differently because you wear a headscarf, but there are two factors at play here, religion and appearance. A headscarf can sometimes hide the fact at first glance that you aren't from Egypt, depending on your hair color that might make a huge difference. However, I have an Egyptian friend from Cairo who doesn't cover her hair and when dressed in jeans in Luxor she got mistaken for a foreign tourist. We were out and about together and they would ignore me and pester her. And if you are a non-Egyptian who looks Egyptian but aren't covered, you can get more hassle because you aren't covered than a non-Egyptian who doesn't look Egyptian and people don't expect them to cover. So it really is more complex than you might think.

And then there is the whole issue of social status. You are an educated, professional woman. There are certain ways that you would not be able to dress without looking like you were dressing down too much.
Your right there GD I had a friend large girl who looked Egyptian, prone to wearing skirts just a tad to short and talked a lot, the hassle we got being with her was not pleasant. She enjoyed it though (ditch friend problem solved :).

I always wondered what the prostitutes wore being mistaken for one :o and with my daughters ummm think I may have to re-think this.

I have noticed the Christian Egyptians do not wear headscarf's, so what am I saying if I do? Respecting Islam, converted, protecting my hair from direct sunlight. Certainly a mine field and having Aleena with us (She know's everyone in Karnak, fairly popular in Luxor too) dressing her would be like taking the mickey rather than experiencing the moment.

I know we will just dress D and shove him in front :) (will need to tone down his makeup first though) He is so eloquent I am sure he can re-tell the experience far better than I. :up
It is what it is.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Burqa is not an Arabic word. It is Urdu. It is not used in Egypt. There might be things that you see women wearing that look like burqas worn elsewhere, but they are likely different in form and are called niqab, and that includes those that cover the eyes completely. Burqas generally don't cover completely but rather have a sort of grill-like opening where the eyes are. Personally, I have never seen anyone wearing anything that remotely looks like that here in Egypt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Burqa ... tan_01.jpg

However, it may be that some don't notice the difference between face coverings, just like some people can't tell the difference between a Chinese, Japanese or Korean person, even though if you know them well you can immediately know what they are just by looking at their face.
Well I am one who can tell the difference. Whatever the origin of the garment or the name given to it in any particular country I have seen women walking in Luxor wearing burqas as opposed to niqab.

You have chosen an interesting comparison in your second paragraph as I can usually tell the difference between those nationalities too.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Your right there GD I had a friend large girl who looked Egyptian, prone to wearing skirts just a tad to short and talked a lot, the hassle we got being with her was not pleasant. She enjoyed it though (ditch friend problem solved :).

I always wondered what the prostitutes wore being mistaken for one :o and with my daughters ummm think I may have to re-think this.

I have noticed the Christian Egyptians do not wear headscarf's, so what am I saying if I do? Respecting Islam, converted, protecting my hair from direct sunlight. Certainly a mine field and having Aleena with us (She know's everyone in Karnak, fairly popular in Luxor too) dressing her would be like taking the mickey rather than experiencing the moment.

I know we will just dress D and shove him in front :) (will need to tone down his makeup first though) He is so eloquent I am sure he can re-tell the experience far better than I. :up[/quote]

Or we could cut costs and I could get under yours with you. :lol: I bagsie the rear. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

:lol: :lol: you rascal!

But D that was the whole point, who would be brave enough to tackle yours, and your subsequent reaction, :? Had visions of us sitting on the Corniche sipping coffee, watching the show :D If you do not fancy the Hiqad, tight leather pants (bikers meeting) :br
It is what it is.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I know an English woman who wore the niqab and she got more hassle when she was wearing it than when she wasn't in the end she gave it up completely.
There are many muslim girls here in Luxor who don't wear it, they dont cover their heads, it is their choice. I can't see why any non muslim woman would want to wear it , even for fun. Mind you having said that it would help keep you warm especially with the weather we are having lately.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

dsaxelby wrote::lol: :lol: you rascal!

But D that was the whole point, who would be brave enough to tackle yours, and your subsequent reaction, :? Had visions of us sitting on the Corniche sipping coffee, watching the show :D If you do not fancy the Hiqad, tight leather pants (bikers meeting) :br
According to the BBC news yesterday the cases of dementia are set to double by 2020. Taking into consideration the average age of expats living here, including myself, you could end up going home with several envelopes stuck through the head slot, especially if you stand still long enough on a street corner. :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Now that's a whole other topic, 'what happens when you need care in Luxor' pretty sure my girls would bring me home and chain me to the front lawn, but if you do not have family or friends to care for you :o what happens to you :?:
It is what it is.
Wills
United Kingdom

Post by Wills »

There was a woman in front of me boarding the plane at Cairo Airport wearing the Niqab and was grilled by the staff before they let her through to the departure gate.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:Burqa is not an Arabic word. It is Urdu. It is not used in Egypt. There might be things that you see women wearing that look like burqas worn elsewhere, but they are likely different in form and are called niqab, and that includes those that cover the eyes completely. Burqas generally don't cover completely but rather have a sort of grill-like opening where the eyes are. Personally, I have never seen anyone wearing anything that remotely looks like that here in Egypt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Burqa ... tan_01.jpg

However, it may be that some don't notice the difference between face coverings, just like some people can't tell the difference between a Chinese, Japanese or Korean person, even though if you know them well you can immediately know what they are just by looking at their face.
Well I am one who can tell the difference. Whatever the origin of the garment or the name given to it in any particular country I have seen women walking in Luxor wearing burqas as opposed to niqab.

You have chosen an interesting comparison in your second paragraph as I can usually tell the difference between those nationalities too.
I chose it because I have noticed several people make remarks in the forum to the effect that made it clear they don't know the difference because those nationalities.