Egyptians spend lots on entertainment despite financial woes

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egyptians spend lots on entertainment despite financial woes

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptians spend heavily on entertainment despite financial woes.

Consumer confidence in Egypt rose by six index points to reach 83 in the third quarter of 2013 compared with the previous quarter, according to a recent survey.

Egypt reported the biggest increase in the Middle East in terms of spending, although 85 percent of Egyptians surveyed believe they were in economic recession, the latest Nielsen Global Survey of Consumer Confidence and Spending Intentions showed.

The United Arab Emirates scored the highest of the Middle Eastern countries with 111 points, followed by Saudi Arabia at 97.

"Drastic changes over the past three years in Egypt have impacted the pockets of Egyptians," Tamer El-Araby, managing director at Nielsen Egypt, stated in the report.

"Despite the scarcity of jobs, and the low wages, however, Egyptians are optimistic by nature and believe that a new regime will bring them social justice and freedom, which is translating to improved consumer confidence results reported in the third quarter," he added.

Prior to the ouster of Mohamed Morsi on 3 July there was a general state of apprehension in the country, and the Egyptian bourse's main index slumped 16 percent between March and June.

This explains why the CCI was low in Q2, Moheb Malak, economist at Prime Holding told Ahram Online.

The survey polled only internet users, divided into categories based on gender and age. It did not reflect income levels or other economic characteristics.

"The consumption attitude of the poor is more sensitive than that of the rich to any economic or political changes, which means that income levels should be taken in to consideration when surveying consumption confidence," Malak said.

Average weekly salaries in Egypt grew by 20 percent in 2012 to reach LE641, data from official statistics body CAPMAS showed.

In 2011, Egyptian workers were paid an average weekly salary of LE534.

Despite Egypt's high poverty rate, the report showed that Egyptians came seventh out of 60 countries surveyed in spending on entertainment outside of the home.

Egypt’s poverty rate has increased in recent years, reaching an average of 25.5 percent for the year 2010/2011, compared with 21.6 percent in 2008/2009.

"In line with confidence findings and the current events, it is not surprising to see that Egyptians consumers are using a big portion of their spending for their leisure, holidays and entertainment," said El-Araby.

The online survey, established in 2005, measures consumer confidence, major concerns and spending intentions among more than 30,000 respondents with Internet access in 60 countries.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/86404.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Egyptians spend lots on entertainment despite financial

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I wonder what the actual entertainment is that Egyptians are spending their money on?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Since the survey was done via the internet I can't see it having any relevance, maybe the wealthier Egyptians are spending more money but those in the villages and those who can't afford internet are certainly not and they have not been polled.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

carrie wrote:Since the survey was done via the internet I can't see it having any relevance, maybe the wealthier Egyptians are spending more money but those in the villages and those who can't afford internet are certainly not and they have not been polled.
Most I know in the villages who are very poor dont have a seat to sit on and sleep on the floor, yet all of them have mobile phones and satellite TV
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

They should sign up for membership on here. They would get mountains and molehills of free entertainment. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

IF the study is defining 'entertainment' as guys sitting and drinking tea then Egyptian men are outdoing themselves with entertainment. What they'd define as entertainment for women (other than being in your house and talking talking talking) I'm not sure.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

At my friends sisters wedding starting today, on the main night they are having a trio of singers, a band of some sort, disco and some kind of traditional dancing. Egyptians do enjoy a good foot tapper session at times. [especially when its free :up ]
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Since you have brought up weddings Dusak, someone up the road as just got married, a few days later many empty boxes appeared on the street (all stacked up nicely), 30 piece top quality dinner service set, 2 air condition units, various bedding boxes, TV box etc etc... The boxes are still there. About 6 months ago someone else must have got married, loads of neatly placed empty boxes appeared and stayed there for about 2 weeks.

I am sure this must be some kind of "show off" so others in the street can see what they have :lol:
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Dusak wrote:They should sign up for membership on here. They would get mountains and molehills of free entertainment. :up
I wrote this murder mystery game last year to be played by our students during a Nile cruise. It was about archaeologists after the revolution and was all loosely based on real people and real scenarios.

I'm thinking a murder mystery game based on the expats of Luxor would also work really well. I'm thinking to entitle it "The Committee."
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

But would anyone be left alive at the end??
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I haven't thought up how to work the murder into it yet. However, I am thinking it would start off just after a a prominent member of the expat community had been deported, which would strike fear in the rest of the community because they wouldn't be sure exactly why said member of the community had been singled out by the authorities, who would also feature in this game, for deportation.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:They should sign up for membership on here. They would get mountains and molehills of free entertainment. :up
I wrote this murder mystery game last year to be played by our students during a Nile cruise. It was about archaeologists after the revolution and was all loosely based on real people and real scenarios.

I'm thinking a murder mystery game based on the expats of Luxor would also work really well. I'm thinking to entitle it "The Committee."
Dam, dam and double blast GD, you have just stolen my thunder for Xmas. I am at this very moment doing a murder night in the old manor, containing various members [disguised to prevent legal action :up ] called murder of the Xmas comity. I will now have to do something else to while away my free time. :cry:
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Glyph - Personally I think your idea of a Committee aka Comity Game is a great idea!!

Deportation, Lies, Deceit, Visas, MMIDs - the list of perks and faults could go on forever and forever and forever (like a Monopoly game)