38 dead in clashes on Egypt's war anniversary

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

38 dead in clashes on Egypt's war anniversary

Post by DJKeefy »

38 dead in clashes on Egypt's war anniversary.

Deadly clashes erupted in Cairo on Sunday as pro-Morsi marches protesting against the military headed to Tahrir Square, where thousands were celebrating the 40th anniversary of the 1973 war against Israel and voicing support for the army.

Confrontations also took place outside the capital, with the death toll rising to 38. At least 229 were injured in the melee.

According to health ministry official Khaled El-Khatib, 32 people were killed in Cairo and Giza, three in Beni Suef and one in Delga in Minya. Two more deaths occurred in non-specified locations nationwide.

12083 12084 12085

State news agency MENA reports that at least 300 pro-Morsi supporters have been arrested on Sunday.

The National Alliance to Support Legitimacy, a coalition of Islamist forces supporting deposed president Mohamed Morsi, claimed that at least 11 protesters had been killed in clashes with security forces in Ramses Street in central Cairo.

Armoured police vehicles approached the site firing tear gas to disperse the crowds. MENA also reported that gunshots were heard amidst the clashes.

Backers of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood have staged thousand-strong marches in several parts of Cairo, Giza and other governorates.

Rallies took a violent turn in central Cairo's Garden City and Giza's Dokki district, where police fired rounds of teargas after local residents clashed during pro-Morsi protests heading towards Tahrir, eyewitnesses and Ahram Online reporters said. The sound of heavy gunfire was later reported.

Politician and former presidential candidate Bothaina Kamel told Aswat Masriya that she was physically assaulted and her car windows were smashed by pro-Morsi demonstrators while she was driving through Dokki on Sunday.

In Giza's Manial district, where battles have become recurrent between residents and pro-Morsi protesters of late, clashes erupted between demonstrators and security forces. Two police vehicles were reportedly torched amid the chaos.

In Delga - a town south of Cairo held by Islamists until security forces raided it last month - a Brotherhood supporter was killed and at least three injured as a pro-Morsi march clashed with police. Protesters hurled stones at security officers near a police station, and officers responded with live fire.

General Sayed Shafiq, deputy interior minister, said later in the day that the security situation is "under control" in Cairo.

Flexing its muscles, a pro-Morsi Islamist group urged followers to converge on Tahrir Square, the epicentre of the 2011 uprising and 2012 demonstrations against Morsi's rule.

However, police and army troops barred Islamist marches from reaching the capital's major squares, as army jets and F-16 fighters hover in formations over Cairo, Alexandria and several other cities.

Almost two dozen Islamists were arrested early on Sunday in northeast Cairo while marching towards the Rabaa Al-Adawiya area, which security forces raided in mid-August to disperse a sizeable extended sit-in by Morsi loyalists, leaving hundreds dead.

The area, along with other major squares, has been sealed off to protesters since the police crackdown.

In Cairo's Mohandeseen district, thousands of Morsi backers marched through the area, many flashing the four-finger Rabaa sign and chanting anti-army slogans, reported Ahram Online's Sherif Tarek.

The National Alliance to Support Legitimacy has repeatedly called for protests against the military's overthrow of Morsi.

However, its ability to muster large crowds has tailed off as security forces have mounted a crackdown on Islamists, arresting hundreds of members and allies including Morsi himself.

Celebrations

A short distance away from the Ramses clashes in the flashpoint Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo, an Ahram reporter said people were queuing to stream into the area to celebrate the national holiday. There was a celebratory atmosphere, but security is evident.

Protesters, many clad in T-shirts bearing the photo of army chief General Abdel Fattah El-Sisi or holding his picture, have converged on the square in their thousands as patriotic songs boom from loud speakers.

People walk through metal detectors and are thoroughly searched by police and army personnel as they enter the square, with only two entrances open. All other routes in are sealed off, according to Ahram Online's Osman El-Sharnoubi.

Egypt's army traditionally celebrates the October war against Israel – which eventually led to the recovery of the Sinai Peninsula – each year with military performances and flyovers, and the day is a public holiday.

Meanwhile, other pro-military rallies have taken to the streets in cities that earlier witnessed clashes, including Alexandria, Ismailia, Al-Mahalla and Beni Suef.

Marches in support of the army also took place in Damietta, Sohag, Aswan, Kafr El-Sheikh, Port Said, Mahalla and other governorates.

Demonstrators carried Egyptian flags, posters of army commander-in-chief El-Sisi and played national songs.

Meanwhile, in Cairo's air defence stadium, celebrations for the war anniversary, organised by Egypt's armed forces have started, attended by army commander-in-chief El-Sisi, interim President Adly Mansour and former head of the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF) Hussein Tantawi. Gihan El-Sadat, widow of ex-President Anwar El-Sadat, during whose presidency Egypt staged the 6 October attack against Israel, was also present.

The celebrations include a play on Egypt's history and contemporary period as well as interludes from various singers including Egyptian artists Angham, Ihab Tawfik, and Lebanese diva Nancy Agram.

Clashes outside Cairo

Six people were injured, including three policemen, in clashes in Suez when security forces fired teargas at a march by pro-Morsi demonstrators, Al-Ahram Arabic news website reported.

The confrontation had occured when the march approached a central square where pro-military crowds were celebrating the national holiday.

In Alexandria, clashes broke out between Morsi supporters and residents in Sidi Beshr district after a pro-Morsi march.

Skirmishes also took place in Ismailia, Beheira governorate and in Aswan in the south of the country.

Egypt has been gripped by prolonged violence since the overthrow of Morsi early in July after mass demonstrations against his turbulent year in office.

The ouster of the former elected president on 3 July enraged Islamists, who have denounced the move as a violation of democratic "legitimacy."

Hundreds were killed on 14 August when security forces moved to forcibly disperse two protest camps set up by Morsi loyalists in Cairo and Giza, unleashing days of violent turmoil and deepening polarisation.

Militants elsewhere have taken up arms against the state.The army has been battling an insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula, adjoining Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip, where Islamist militants have mounted almost daily attacks on security and army targets, killing dozens.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/83343.aspx

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Re: 38 dead in clashes on Egypt's war anniversary

Post by Cyprus100 »

Sky News are now reporting (by Reuters) that at least 44 people have been killed in Egypt. No specifics as to areas...
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Same here - lots of news coverage about the clashes but no definitive numbers yet......sad and tragic.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Updated: 51 dead in clashes on Egypt's war anniversary

Deadly clashes erupted in Cairo on Sunday as pro-Morsi marches protesting against the military headed to Tahrir Square, where thousands were celebrating the 40th anniversary of the 1973 war against Israel and voicing support for the army.

Confrontations also took place outside the capital, with the death toll rising to 51. At least 268 were injured in the melee.

According to health ministry official Khaled El-Khatib, most of the casualties were killed in Cairo and Giza, while Beni Suef and in Delga in Minya saw deaths too.

Egypt's Interior Ministry said it arrested 423 people in Cairo and Giza during clashes.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

Was talking to my friend earlier, the one who's been coming to Luxor for more than 20 years. A friend of hers is talking about wanting to come back next year but currently there are no charter flights from UK and my friend will not mess about going via Cairo as it's a bit of a long haul if you have to hang around waiting for a connecting flight after 6 hours or so flying from UK.

So now, it's all on the back burner to see what the FCO and tour operators decide to do but after this skirmish yesterday I cannot see the FCO making a decision any time soon. So it looks like she may either come back to Cyprus or we will meet up in other pastures - Istanbul is looking good just now.
Michele,
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I once did a 35 hour trip door to door from the Chicago to Luxor. Three countries and four flights in total, via Spain. Direct flights? They are the exception not the rule from any point A to any point B. It's all about expectations. People want Luxor from the the closest airport in the UK in half a day, but I bet they wouldn't complain about the extra time it takes to get to Botswana for a safari. It can't be that attractive if they aren't willing to deal with one stopover here or there.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Here's today's Guardian article on the clashes

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/o ... yom-kippur
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

In actual fact you can fly to Palma Mallorca and then experience a 3 hour journey to your resort especially if it is on the East Coast of the Island, the same if you fly to Riegna Sofia in Tenerife and your resort may be Peurto Del La Cruz. What about those that fly to the Maldives who then have to experience long trips to the island resort they have chosen. So glyph you are right, no one complains about that journey.
The main difference to what I have quoted is that both these destinations have good road links, and not pot holed roads that wreck cars, and vehicles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Not sure, but I think some one on here mentioned, some 24hrs ago the words,..........Iron Fist.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Luxor and Egypt in general has excellent paved roads. Sure there is the issue of the speed bumps, but I've rarely ever seen a road in Egypt that is in worse condition than many of the roads I see in the United States. In fact, in some rural areas of the US they are repaving roads with gravel because it simply is too expensive to repave them with asphalt. You simply don't have the rain, snow and cold weather extremes here to create potholes. Driving habits are another matter though.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The most dangerous pot holes here are created when the thieving gits nick the manhole covers. Very good emergency braking method, especially in a power cut. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

The thing that gets me is the proliferation of random unofficial speed bumps around Luxor. I have not found these in Aswan, the Red Sea area or the Western Oases towns. Maybe Glyph can enlighten us on the towns in Lower Egypt.
These, rather than potholes which are very infrequent, are the danger especially at night when you encounter one that was not there earlier in the day even! Something for the Gov'nor to take control over for the benefit of ALL road users.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

There have been a number of mass killings/feuds concerning unofficial speed bumps elsewhere in Upper Egypt. One was in Abu Qurqas, but I forget where the second one was, perhaps somewhere in Beni Suef or Minya.

In Cairo nothing moves fast enough most of the time to require speed bumps. They exist on the road to Saqqara if I recall correctly though.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote A4: Not sure, but I think some one on here mentioned, some 24hrs ago the words,..........Iron Fist.

'twas I, recounting ze short french geezer...........
"Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove! N Bonaparte Esq.
If they have more reasons to gather thats great, then mow them down like Muhammad Bey did with the Mamelukes.
History just repeating itself and We, are standing on it's threshold.....We should be so lucky, in our life time....:cool:
Ps: speedbumps ? get a jeep or a quad bike I can supply both....call: mohammed@golighltymotors.com
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

Glyphdoctor wrote: It's all about expectations. People want Luxor from the the closest airport in the UK in half a day
It's nothing to do with expectations when you can only take 2 weeks off work and need to go straight back to work when you return to UK.

Why book 2 weeks holiday when you're wasting the first evening and another half a day out of your holiday (if you have to travel via Cairo) on the return on top of what would normally be a day's travelling with a direct flight? The company my friend works for will only let them take 2 full weeks off and with flights always being midweek she's on a loser straight away.

The journey from my friends house to the airport in UK, including waiting time there and finally arriving in Luxor on a direct flight (which she's been used to for the last 20 years) takes a minimum of 12 hours after walking out of her front door.

We love the fact we can now get to Cairo in just over an hour and then on to Luxor or Aswan in around the same time but even so, hanging around waiting for a transit flight at each end is a pain in the butt and that's only coming from Cyprus!
It still makes our "short hop" end up at a little over 7 hours from leaving the house to reaching our chosen hotel in Luxor...
Michele,
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Meh. Brits obviously have gotten used to living in a tiny country. Trips to visit our relatives in the same state in the US involved at least 10 hours of driving each way and we did that trip countless times when we only had a week or two to do it. We also could have flown on a flight that took one hour, but often chose to drive instead.

That said, I've spent 45 whole minutes walking from my arrival gate to just get to the Heathrow Express station at Heathrow before, and that was without luggage to claim or anything more than a few minutes wait at customs and passport control. So I wouldn't complain about a little domestic flight in Egypt.

Layovers are a nice thing because if you plan it right you can get out and do a little sightseeing or meet up with friends for lunch wherever you are stopped. I've visited a number of cities I wouldn't have otherwise seen that way.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

After 10yrs almost of living in Cyprus where nobody will drive more than 20 minutes if they have to - except maybe to go to the airport (which are less than an hour away in any direction), it sort of makes you look at things differently.

In UK we used to travel around 70 minutes each way to work and back - now, it takes me 15 minutes from leaving the house to walking into the office for a journey that's around half the distance of the one we travelled each day in UK.

The best holidays are cruises from Limassol. Ten minutes drive to the port from our house and straight on board ship. The holiday starts straight away :D

We've just booked flights back to UK for a week in November - the first time we will have been back since March 2004 when we came to live in Cyprus. We're going to Liverpool as flights were half the price of those to Manchester and then taking the train to Blackpool.

I would have preferred to have been coming to Egypt which was part of our original plan but my dad isn't well enough to come to Cyprus this year so it's our turn to pop back.

I think we're going to be in for a big shock, and that's not even thinking about how damn cold it will feel! :td
Michele,
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

A ten hour drive each way Glyphdoctor? I use to have a car like that. :yy
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Cyprus100 wrote:It's nothing to do with expectations when you can only take 2 weeks off work and need to go straight back to work when you return to UK.
The average number of nights a tourist spends in Egypt is well under 2 weeks, in fact it's under 1 week, which means there are some who just stay a few days and would have plenty of time at the beginning and end to travel. Some people only have one week off of work, and they still come, from much further away than the UK and from more distant timezones. If it's worth it to you to see Egypt, you would do it.