$10m PR campaign to stimulate tourism within Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

$10m PR campaign to stimulate tourism within Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

$10m public relations campaign to stimulate tourism within Egypt.

The Ministry of Tourism has set aside $40m yearly for tourist promotion in a number of foreign markets, to be funded by the country’s Tourism Fund, created by the private sector.

The Ministry of Tourism has spent $10m since the beginning of last year to fund a public relations campaign to promote tourism throughout Egypt.

An official within the General Authority to Stimulate Tourism, stated that the Ministry won’t release new international tenders to be used for the promotion of tourist destinations within the country before the end of the current year. The release of such tenders is contingent upon stability and the return of calm onto the Egyptian street.

The Ministry of Tourism has set aside $40m yearly for tourist promotion in a number of foreign markets, to be funded by the country’s Tourism Fund, created by the private sector.

At the end of last year, the Ministry of Tourism ended procedures to open up new bids, following the outbreak of violence and political turmoil following the release of the Constitutional Declaration announced by former President Mohamed Morsi in November 2012. The Tourism Fund provides money for marketing campaigns hosted by the Ministry in international markets, at a cost of $40m per year. Egypt has witnessed a 24.5% decrease in tourism over the last two months since last July, with primary indicators increasing to 75% last August.

The official stated that, “we are studying the directives of Zaazou to support international companies with their marketing campaigns for Egyptian tourism, in addition to asking the Minister of Civil Aviation to decrease take off and landing fees at airports used for tourism. Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou, stated in his meeting with the company directors for British companies Thomas Cook and Discover Egypt that his Ministry would help support marketing campaigns for foreign organisations.

Zaazou previously stated that the Ministry seeks to attract 13.8 million tourists by the end of the current year, saying however that this goal has become increasingly difficult to achieve since the removal of former President Mohamed Morsi.

Tourist occupancy rates in the Red Sea have decreased 20%, in addition to 25% in South Sinai. Occupancy rates in Cairo have not exceeded 15%, while those in Aswan and Luxor have dropped to 5%.

Source: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/09/1 ... hin-egypt/

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: $10m PR campaign to stimulate tourism within Egypt

Post by Dusak »

Its not working.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Am I mad? Have I read this right? Is cash and tourist strapped Egypt spending one quarter of its tourism promotion budget to get Egyptians to holiday in Egypt. And all this in $US

70% of Egyptians are hand to mouth or near. The rich Cairenes always travel in Europe or the US and the middle classes go to the north coast during the height of summer. Can't see an advertising campaign changing any of this any time soon.

Another example of the positively deranged Ministry of Tourism and its profligate waste of money at a time when anything which could be done would battle against current and recent troubles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Might as well promote going to Aswan in the middle of July ;) sans A/C.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This cash would of been better spent on the fuel needed to put an end to the increased power and water cut off's we are receiving. At least some would benefit from it.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

They need to promote startups of small home based businesses or something that is going to get a little bit of cash flowing about.

Given the level of hand to mouth and, am sure increasing levels of desperation am surprised there have not been more attacks on tourists - the snatch and grab of cameras, jewelry, purses just out of desperation. I know this petty crime is happening on some levels on the couple of tourists that are strolling about but am surprised the Mexico trick of capturing tourists and forcing them to go to ATMs and withdraw $$ hasn't started.
pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek »

To be perfectly honest, I think that it would make sense to be advertising this mostly in Russia, China, and India, and not in Europe or North America.
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

pdmlynek wrote:To be perfectly honest, I think that it would make sense to be advertising this mostly in Russia, China, and India, and not in Europe or North America.
Why's that then ? You mean that China Russia and India don't know about how great being a tourist in Luxor is ?
The Chinese are a bit leery, because all the stuff they sell us is crap..
The Indians used to come with their families but have stopped.
The Russians like getting drunk and getting their legs over in Hurgharda.

The Nordic Countries have always had a fascination for Luxor mind you...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak wrote:This cash would of been better spent on the fuel needed to put an end to the increased power and water cut off's we are receiving. At least some would benefit from it.
If fuel in Egypt were not subsidised they might be able to provide more useful benefits to the poorer people. (I.M.H.O.)
pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek »

Who2 wrote:
pdmlynek wrote:To be perfectly honest, I think that it would make sense to be advertising this mostly in Russia, China, and India, and not in Europe or North America.
Why's that then ? You mean that China Russia and India don't know about how great being a tourist in Luxor is ?....
Because tourists from Europe and North America tend to be much more risk averse than people from Russia, China or India. A riot in Egypt will deter Europeans and North Americans, but to Russians, Chinese or Indians, it is not a big deal.
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I assume that there was another major power cut in Luxor this evening. Pictures of the power off at the railway station, and no messages on this forum for several hours, ...
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Who2 wrote:The Nordic Countries have always had a fascination for Luxor mind you...:cool:

They've never heard of it. :cry: