School textbook calls 30 June a coup, Minister halts print..

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

School textbook calls 30 June a coup, Minister halts print..

Post by DJKeefy »

School textbook calls 30 June a coup, Education Minister halts its printing.

The Education Ministry ordered to stop the printing of a high school history textbook that, in one chapter, describes the 30 June ouster of President Mohamed Morsy as a military coup, according to informed sources.

The textbook reportedly also includes a section explaining legitimacy and certain Muslim Brotherhood ideas. The book was added to the curriculum before the current minister came to office.

Education Minister Mohamed Abul Nasr ordered an investigation and said the book would be dropped from the curriculum if this was true. “Those responsible for that will be severely punished,” he said. “As reprinting the book will cost us millions of pounds.”

He said that all schools will start on 21 September, and that the Interior Ministry has promised to secure them.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/sc ... s-printing

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: School textbook calls 30 June a coup, Minister halts pri

Post by Dusak »

I would of thought here, like anywhere else that prints new volumes they would of had proof readers checking the content for accuracy before final print. Just another example of wasted millions. :stp
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

It depends on who proof-reads the proof-readers.

A cock-up between government administrations - and yes,
very costly.

Interesting, though, that Egyptian school 'history' texts are so up-to-date,
apparently dealing with 'What we did in this summer vacation'!

I fear there will be some altercations when term begins next Saturday
both in the playgrounds and in the staff rooms, and possibly in the history
lessons - hence the Interior Ministry's promise to 'secure' the schools.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

According to my friend they haven't made their minds up yet when the schools will open from a statement they received on Sunday.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Like in any good dictatorship children have been taught since 1952 what the regime wants them to believe. Dictatorships need propaganda to present them selves in an heroic light and to suppress their mistakes. Controlling all the media helps but Egypt has not been 'burdened' with a free media for decades or at all.

Given that it has been a military dictatorship no one will be surprised that children are taught that Egypt won the 1967 war and defeated the imperialists in 1956 (instead of the truth that Eisenhower pulled the plug on GB, France and Israel).

Maybe someone who reads Arabic could start a competition on the most egregious state propaganda with a special prize for the most incredible or hilarious.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Today it matters not what the kids are taught, the real truth is out there on the internet. The times of pulling the wool over peoples eyes has ended. Although some are still blind to the real truth.
pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek »

DJKeefy wrote:School textbook calls 30 June a coup, Education Minister halts its printing.

The Education Ministry ordered to stop the printing of a high school history textbook that, in one chapter, describes the 30 June ouster of President Mohamed Morsy as a military coup, according to informed sources.
Wow, the Egyptians are on top of their history! Most of the history books when I was going to school were 10 years old and about 30 years out of date.... :D
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.
biosceptic

Post by biosceptic »

Dusak wrote:Today it matters not what the kids are taught, the real truth is out there on the internet. The times of pulling the wool over peoples eyes has ended. Although some are still blind to the real truth.
While the truth may be out there on the internet but most of it is unsubstantiated assertions, or marketing propaganda containing no evidence, little logic and a whole heap of emotional baggage. In the last 10 years the amount of time I have had to spend in the classroom trying to help students be critical readers as a partial defence against the Internet nutters and their many different agendas is staggering!!!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And how many incorrect statements have been discovered in the school books over the years. I think that it has always been the case of reader beware but as a child you believe everything you are taught without question as teacher is always right. The internet offers a quick and decisive cross reference tool never available to me during school years written by true experts in any particular field of study. A lifetimes study against a university course.
biosceptic

Post by biosceptic »

Only if you can identify who is an expert !!!!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Not that many people on here would be interested but, I have been told when one purchases 'bango it always comes wrapped in school exercise books, often lessons on how to speak English. Why this is I have 'no-idea unless the kids are earning 'pin-money wrapping the 'bango or learning english is passé.....weird but true....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

biosceptic wrote:Only if you can identify who is an expert !!!!
Usually all their credentials and academic history are clearly listed within the section you are referencing.