14/08/2013 State of Emergency Called

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

14/08/2013 State of Emergency Called

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have just read a Luxor Warden post:

'State of emergency been called from 16:00 local time from today.'

I have no further information, and cannot say what a 'State of Emergency' really is (although I'm assuming curfews will be put in place). I will post more as and when I see anything.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: 14/08/2013 State of Emergency Called

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Posted by Janet Baker (one of the Luxor Wardens) in a Facebook group.

Re: Update British Embassy ( John Hamilton ) 14/08/2013 (2)

Right then let me try that again in English this time! And with a list of Governorates.

There is a curfew in place from 1900 until 0600 in the following fourteen Governorates:

Cairo, Giza, Alexandria, South Sinai, North Sinai, Suez, Behera, Minya, Assiut, Souhag, Beni Suef, Ismailia, Qena and Fayoum.

Apologies for any confusion; I have sent an awful lot of emails today.....

Regards,

John
Like · · about an hour ago
-Aldous Huxley
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Definition: State of emergency is a governmental declaration, usually during wars or natural disasters, which suspends functions of the executive, legislative and judicial powers. In many cases it is used as a rationale for suspending rights and freedoms, even if guaranteed under the constitution. This change of normal government functionality gives it the right to arrest citizens without warrants among other extraordinary measures.

So now the military will be unstoppable, and to think there were people who thought the coup was to save Egypt and the Egyptians! :|

The last state of emergency lasted 30years, wasn't that what the "revolution" was all about? De facto military rule will continue for sine die.
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Egypt travel advice
14-08-2013 08:14 PM BST
Latest update: Summary - State of Emergency and Curfews

Travel advice for Red Sea resorts remains unchanged but local authorities in Sharm el Sheikh have temporarily stopped tourist excursions. In Hurghada the police have advised tourists to remain within hotel grounds. We advise British tourists to follow the regulations set by the local authorities and to obey curfews. British tourists should also ensure they keep valid identification with them at all times.

Tour operators are advising holiday makers that airport transfers to Sharm el Sheik will still take place during the curfew and that tourists going to other resorts, mainly Dahab, will be taken to Sharm el Sheik overnight and then travel onto their final destination in the morning.

Due to the current security situation the British Embassy in Cairo will be closed to the public on 14 and 15 August.

You are strongly advised to avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings. If you become aware of any nearby protests, leave the area immediately. Don’t attempt to cross road blocks erected by the security forces or protestors.
Like · · about a minute ago
-Aldous Huxley