Rebel group tells minister 'no return to state security era'

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Rebel group tells minister 'no return to state security era'

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt's Rebel campaign tells interior minister 'no return to state security era'.

Egypt's "Rebel" (Tamarod) campaign issued a statement Sunday saying they are highly concerned with comments made by Minister of Interior Mohamed Ibrahim that they understood as foregrounding the possible return of the notorious Mubarak era state security apparatus.

In a press conference held by the interior ministry Saturday, Ibrahim announced that departments of state security tasked with fighting extremism and monitoring political and religious activity, terminated after the January 25 Revolution, have been reinstated. He further added that a new police reshuffle will be announced Monday and will include police officers who have been excluded before.

"Our campaign supports the state's plans in fighting terrorism; however, we have earlier stressed that this support doesn't include the taking of extraordinary measures, or the contradiction of freedoms and human rights," said Mahmoud Badr, spokesman of the Rebel campaign, in a press statement.

During the ministry's press conference, which was held hours after deadly clashes between the police and supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi, leaving dozens killed, Ibrahim attributed the occurence of violence to the closing of the reinstated departments and the restructuring of the ministry in "a non-technical way" after the January 25 Revolution.

Badr said that Ibrahim's comments "are unacceptable" and contradict with the principles of the January 25 Revolution, where "freedom was one of its main goals."

"We will never accept the return of Mubarak's state security [apparatus] or the chasing of political activists under any name," added Badr.

The state security apparatus, infamous for its practices of torture and arbitrary arrest against Mubarak opponents, was formally dissolved in March 2011, its functions transfered into the newly established National Security Agency.

On 12 June, Hassan Abdel-Rahman, former head of the disbanded state security apparatus, was acquitted by a Giza criminal court of charges that he ordered the destruction of state security documents in the aftermath of the January 25 Revolution.

Forty other security officers were also acquitted of charges related to the case.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/77608.aspx

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Rebel group tells minister 'no return to state security

Post by Hafiz »

These rebels/Tamarod have got themselves into real contortions - backing the army/security services to protect democracy and rights. Is this chap sane or is he trying to distance himself from the foreseeable results of a takeover he assisted and now doesn't like. Could it be that he thought the brothers would be gentleman and just take their removal calmly or that the army would be gentle. Sort of shows that the chap is a fool or maybe just someones tool. So many possible metaphors: fleas, pot black, spilt milk etc.

The Interior Ministers statement seems to mean that brutal goons will be brought back to deal with new problems. Easier than you might think because none have been convicted for earlier atrocities.

Tamarod is pretty active on another and chilling front.

The Tamarud people are starting to sound hysterical and extreme or maybe its that they are revealing their true colors. One of their leaders, in response to Ashton’s negotiations, said:

"We asked her (Ashton), would you accept an armed sit-in under your roof?" said Mahmoud Badr, a leader of the Tamarud youth movement that mobilized huge protests against Mursi before the army moved against him.

"What if al Qaeda had a sit-in in a European country? Would you leave it be?" he asked reporters after meeting Ashton, echoing the army's branding of its opponents as terrorists.

The level headed Ashton doesn’t seem to agree with the Tamarod because she is talking to the Brotherhood with a view to getting them involved in the transitional government. On the other hand, the ‘democratic’ Tamarod seem to want to exclude the largest political party from government. Reminds me of an (adapted) quip: “25 milluon people voted for me, how many voted for you?” If Tamarod has its way the brotherhood might be driven underground with all the predictable results. Sounds as if Tamarud’s version of democracy is first get the ‘votes’ then reject democracy. Starting to sound like complaints made by them 6 months ago.Maybe they've become their own worst enemy.

Spare a thought for Ashton having to deal with the likes of Tamarod whose views are as extreme as their political enemies. I have no illusions that the brotherhood are difficult but I’ve never heard them say their political enemies should be regarded as outlaws. Tamarod is starting to sound like a real threat to democracy.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/ ... 1Z20130729

For those on this forum who endorsed hysterical videos and anti-Brotherhood propaganda I hope they got what they wanted.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Rebel group tells minister 'no return to state security

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

For those on this forum who endorsed hysterical videos and anti-Brotherhood propaganda I hope they got what they wanted.
Personally I haven't seen any HYSTERICAL videos posted on here and the day hell freezes over is the day I'll cheer for the Brotherhood - NOT.