Ramadan starts Wednesday: Dar Al-Ifta

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Ramadan starts Wednesday: Dar Al-Ifta

Post by DJKeefy »

Ramadan will fall during summer months for the next several years, during which noon temperatures in Egypt can reach 40 degrees Celsius.

Egypt's Dar Al-Ifta, the main authority for issuing religious verdicts, announced Ramadan is to start on Wednesday.

The Grand Mufti Shawky Allam confirmed to the state-run Middle East News Agency (MENA) that Ramadan starts Wednesday 10 July.

Muslims fast from dawn until dusk for a month during Ramadan, pursuant to the Islamic doctrine.

Ramadan comes roughly 10 days earlier every year, and this year noon temperatures will reach up to 40 degrees.

Daytime is also longer in the summer than in the winter, and Ramadan will fall during the summer for several years to come.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/76055.aspx

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Ramadan starts Wednesday: Dar Al-Ifta

Post by Dusak »

And so begins another month long period of anxiety for me, and arguments to boot. I have no problem not eating all day as I usually do anyhow. I couldn't stop smoking all day, but some Muslims state that as long as you don't smoke within the public eye, its OK but I tend to think that its the smokers why of thinking. My Egyptian friend sticks to it rigorously, to the letter, no room for compromise, so that's when the talk begins between us if she is visiting. I can not bring myself to eat or drink in her company, the feelings of guilt are to overwhelming. She says don't be stupid, she's used to it, but I now at times she becomes very thirsty and I still remember rushing her to the duff new international health clinic for treatment due to dehydration, and problems associated with the condition. She says that if she needs to drink she can, but has to donate five Egyptian to the local Mosque, so I say than I will give her 25Le each visit so she can drink while she visits, but it falls on deaf ears. I respect all peoples religions, but when it could/does affect their health I have to give the matter much deeper thought.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Mug's game really ? :cg Still, you have to admire the blind faith.. :cool:

Humans eh ? :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Its just that this blind faith could cause blindness over the years. If the women start their period during Ramadan, they can abstain from the rules, but then they have to do an extra three days fast to catch up on the credits. Defy's logic at times. But good luck to each and every one of them.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I did observe Ramadan for a day once, and I do have to admit, that bowl of Lentil Soup I had at dusk, was probably the best tasting food that I ever put into my mouth. I learned a valuable life lesson.. :tk

One day was enough, never mind having to repeat it every year in the middle of summer.

Fact is, Humans each way too much food anyway, even me truth be known.. But then we are drifting off into the esoteric world of B.M.
which truth be known is not so esoteric, if you catch my drift.. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I don't do Ramadan, tried and failed miserably, don't mind no cigs, don't mind no food but the water I can't go without. Never never though would I be seen in the street drinking water, and I know out of respect Copts often give up smoking eating and drinking in their work places.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I understand Ramadan but physiologically the human body at extreme summer temperatures just isn't made to go prolonged hours without water. Sure hope common sense comes into this equation so as to avoid ER visits or whatever happens when dehydration sets in....but realistically I know that the vast majority WILL refuse liquid ........ :dun:
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

At what age do the children start observing the fast during Ramadan?
Is it when they reach a certain age,or hit puberty,etc.
Or is it something that their parents decide on?
I've always wondered.
As a child,we used to abstain from something during Lent,i.e sweets,biscuits,etc,(we got Religious Education in our Primary School and were given instruction on Lenten abstinence,etc)
It wasn't compulsory though and obviously not as restrictive as the fasting during Ramadan.
What's the procedure in Islam?
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Despite not being religious I always observed lent and gave up something, which, im proud to say I always managed to do for the whole period.

Religion......
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Dusak wrote:Its just that this blind faith could cause blindness over the years. If the women start their period during Ramadan, they can abstain from the rules, but then they have to do an extra three days fast to catch up on the credits. Defy's logic at times. But good luck to each and every one of them.

Im sorry, as disrespectful as some might think it is I cant stop laughing at the finer details that Dusak refers to, you can opt out as long as you pay to get yourself back into credit.

"Heaven" forbid if at the end of it God brings up the spread sheet and your in deficit......

Going all day without food or drink isn't going to help the poor, how about chucking a few notes into a poor box instead of making your kidneys scream or being struck blind?

It makes me think of a documentary on the final solution.

When they got down to the nitty gritty they realised that it was not an open and shut case.

What about if their great, great, great grandfather was a Jew or your sister's father's father was a Jew?

In the end they were drawing up flow charts that zig-zagged all over the place until you got to the end with one of two boxes, death or life.

Crucifixion or freedom?

Excellent, line on the left, one cross each.......
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Z - there are 5 basic pillars or tenets of Islam and zachat - aka 'giving charitably' is one of the tenets of Islam as is fasting, prayers, making haj, proclamation of faith.... etc.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Scottishtourist wrote:At what age do the children start observing the fast during Ramadan?
Is it when they reach a certain age,or hit puberty,etc.
Or is it something that their parents decide on?
I've always wondered.
As a child,we used to abstain from something during Lent,i.e sweets,biscuits,etc,(we got Religious Education in our Primary School and were given instruction on Lenten abstinence,etc)
It wasn't compulsory though and obviously not as restrictive as the fasting during Ramadan.
What's the procedure in Islam?
According to my friend, when the child reaches ten they can deiced to partake or not, if they do, they are only expected to do an eight hour 'shift'. Once the girl starts her monthly cycle she is classed as a woman so is expected to do the full 'shift' but generally is allowed to 'cheat' if needing a snack or drink. She also states that the sons like to follow their fathers lead as part of the 'man group' of the family, so fast as long as they can manage to show respect to their father. Nursing mothers are exempt, probably the reason they continually pop them out so they can continually enjoy the fruits [and liquids] of life. Old and the knackered are exempt or people on high doses of certain medication, say cancer treatments. God moves in mysterious ways at times.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

As well as abstaining from food, drink, smoking, and sex, do they also abstain from the use of modern technology such as mobile phones? I suspect that would be the last straw to many!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Get real Brian, they are not Jewish.

Its sad really, but in the main old people especially in rural or desert areas, will only give ramadan a miss under orders of a doctor, a lot to do though, with being with,..... that the time with God is near, therefore the need to be pure is paramount.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Unfortunately A-Four, most of the poorer people in the outlaying districts have to suffer the harshness of Ramadan on a daily basis as the lack of a basic diet is denied to a great many and even the water is being continually cut off and now the water tables are dropping, so those with ground pumps suffer more.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Dunno that it is only the poor in the rurals re: water. There were old aluminum water tubs with an aluminum cup tied on with a rope set on the streets in Helwan to give the poor there a sip if needed. Don't think those cups were ever washed. Same same when going out for dinner in Boulak and the table was given 1 cup to share.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Dunno that it is only the poor in the rurals re: water. There were old aluminum water tubs with an aluminum cup tied on with a rope set on the streets in Helwan to give the poor there a sip if needed. Don't think those cups were ever washed. Same same when going out for dinner in Boulak and the table was given 1 cup to share.