EgyptAir re-evaluates in-flight 'indecent' movie scenes

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

EgyptAir re-evaluates in-flight 'indecent' movie scenes

Post by DJKeefy »

Shura Council Speaker Ahmed Fahmi was angered by what he deemed an 'obscene' sequence in a film shown on a flight from Sudan.

Following a similar complaint earlier this month by Moroccan Islamist MPs, EgyptAir has decided to review the films it screens on its flights after Shura Council Speaker Ahmed Fahmi was infuriated by what he deemed an 'obscene' sequence in an in-flight movie.

EgyptAir president Roshdy Zakareya confirmed that all forms of entertainment shown during flights would be re-evaluated, to ensure that they do not contain scenes that may “disturb” some passengers.

On an inbound flight from Khartoum, Fahmi objected to one scene in the film “Arees Mama” or “Mom’s Suitor” starring Egyptian actress Nelly, and asked the crew to switch it off.

Zakareya said Fahmi condemned the scene as “conflicting with morals,” deeming it insulting to “public decency.” The crew leader stopped the film upon Fahmi's request. No other passenger objected.

Fahmi, a leading member of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), was elected head of the Islamist-led Shura Council (the upper house of parliament) in February 2012.

Zakareya explained that a designated committee typically picks films to be screened on flights and that they are rented from Sawt Al-Kahera (Voice of Cairo) for audio-visual materials. All chosen films have received censorship committee approval.

Earlier this month, Moroccan Islamist MPs were outraged by “erotic” scenes from a film on EgyptAir on a flight from Cairo to Casablanca. Abdel Aziz Aftati, an MP from Morocco’s Islamist Justice and Development Party, told AFP that the film “consisted of long and obscene scenes, and there were women and children on board who were forced to watch such content.”

The Moroccan MPs described that the crew was at first not responsive to the complaints of several passengers, including a few Moroccan parliamentarians. Eventually they succumbed to pressure and switched off the movie, despite the protestations of a few who wanted to keep watching it.

In December, Atari openly condemned the Moroccan film Maouchouma, or Tattooed — a film that explores the human body as a tool for self-exploration and expression — for containing intimate nude scenes. The Islamist MP released a statement saying that such films were inconsistent with religious values and morals.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/63161.aspx

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: EgyptAir re-evaluates in-flight 'indecent' movie scenes

Post by Winged Isis »

The thin end of the wedge. One man with too much power.
Carpe diem! :le:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Too much power or too much self importance. He obviously did not have sufficient self control to not watch the film :roll:
However, although the films had passed the local film certification process one wonders if they are suitable on an aircraft which could well be carrying children? Just a different perspective.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"No other passenger objected."

For me, that is the most telling line in the article! Other Muslims would be frightened of being labelled not sufficiently pious. That's how the extremists get away with everything.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Sod him, I'd play 'snakes on a plane on a loop....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

I'd play Animal Farm and Babe
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think that I would find more interest in playing with myself.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

BBLUX wrote:Too much power or too much self importance. He obviously did not have sufficient self control to not watch the film :roll:
However, although the films had passed the local film certification process one wonders if they are suitable on an aircraft which could well be carrying children? Just a different perspective.
Fair enough, but it was the power of one man, not officially authorised to do so, to censor other's entertainment in a public forum that sends up warning flares in my mind. We need to know what he thought was so bad about this film. But we still have to trust the local certification process. Either way, it was not his right to do this. Protest yes, but demand and get, no. The staff should have stood up to him. Can you imagine this happening on a major western airline? Can you imagine his fellow passengers allowing him?
Carpe diem! :le:
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

Well, well, well, a member of the Brotherhood behaving like a fascist!!! Who would've thunk it. :stp
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Only get interesting when they have to review half a dozen plus times ;)

Censorship is never good BUT complete freedom can also lead to dilemmas as well.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Interesting that only politicians on the Casablanca and Khartoum flights that are complaining - no evidence that the average Muhammad didn't like it. Classic example of 'politicians' trying to throw their weight around in a so-called democracy. A proper democrat would want films that reflected majority opinion not their personal opinion.

I'd be more worried that Fahmi was in Islamo Fasccist Sudan. Maybe after time in that Islamic paradise (which is facing its own student protests) he'd suddenly become sensitive to decadence.

This type of political stunt should be expected with a state owned airline that is accountable to politicians. Don't hear the brothers complaining about privatized Air France (haram food, short skirts, alcohol, 'dirty films') or BA etc and if Egypt Air was privatized (as it should be, and as have most state owned airlines across the world) they wouldn't have a mosque to stand on. The weak kneed response by Egypt Air to two complaints is just the response expected of a state owned corporation and of the Egyptian bureaucracy generally and will work to the advantage of the loudest voice.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:urm: He should consider himself lucky he had an in flight film he could complain about, especially on such a relatively short flight. If it had been a British flight, even some other Eurpean ones, covering such short distances the only in flight entertaiment you get these days is watching the trolley dolly's have hissy fits because someone has dared to use the loo! :roll:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Hepzibah, have you considered the (admittedly outside) possibility that these English and European planes no longer have films onboard because of their secret hope to be spared a similar fate (from home-grown and ultra-devout, holidaying, Muslims) as Egypt Air has in this instance?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Teddyboy wrote:Hepzibah, have you considered the (admittedly outside) possibility that these English and European planes no longer have films onboard because of their secret hope to be spared a similar fate (from home-grown and ultra-devout, holidaying, Muslims) as Egypt Air has in this instance?
No, not for one single second! The clear reason the European flights have cut 'free' inflight entertainment is purely a money making scheme. Many of them now try to rent or sell you entertainment gadgets - don't ask me what as I really don't pay enough attention as I'm too busy entertaining myself by reading my book or people watching etc.

Personally, I've always had mixed feelings about the inflight films. Not so bad if you have your own seat back screen and a choice of viewing, especially on a long hall flight, but I usually find it an irritation when it's on one of the drop down screens as I never seem to be in a seat that gives a good view anyway!

Edit - sorry I didn't indicate it but my earlier post was written somewhat tongue in cheek!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley