Full unofficial results of Egypt's constitutional referendum

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Full unofficial results of Egypt's constitutional referendum

Post by DJKeefy »

After two tiresome election phases, Egypt's contentious draft constitution passed with 64 per cent approval ratings.

Around 10.5 million Egyptians endorsed the bill, a number that is lower than the 13.2 million that voted President Mohamed Morsi into office last summer to serve for a four-year term.

Only three out of 27 governorates saw a majority of 'No' vote. Upper Egypt governorates witnessed the highest approval ratings, with 'Yes' winning by comfortable margins across the board.

The toughest challenge to the new constitution was in the capital city, the largest in Egypt, rejecting the constitution with 57 per cent. The vote in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria came as a surprise to many with 'Yes' winning by 55.6 per cent.

Fayoum governorate, 45 minutes south of Cairo, voted an impressive 89 per cent in favor of the bill. Marsa Matrouh, an established Islamist stronghold, recorded just above six thousand 'No' votes.

Turnover fell to some 32 per cent, well below the 49 per cent seen in the Presidential runoffs back in June.

No governorate saw a turnover above 40 per cent and Upper Egypt's Beni Suef witnessed the highest participation rate at 37.82 per cent.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/61119.aspx

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Full unofficial results of Egypt's constitutional refere

Post by DJKeefy »

Even though I leave politics to the Egyptian people, it's their country it's up to them what they want, I find it strange that 76.63% said yes to the draft constitution in Luxor, In the last few weeks I have spoke to hundreds of Egyptians from all walks of life and only 1 out of all of them said he would vote YES.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"In the last few weeks I have spoke to hundreds of Egyptians from all walks of life and only 1 out of all of them said he would vote YES."

That's hardly surprising DJK, as less than one in five actually voted in favour. As usual, I expect it was a case of "It's not my problem!" 133,880 voted yes, but that means that 551,129 didn't, and over 500,000 didn't even bother their bums to actually go and vote!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

And those who did not bother to vote will probably start to protest again :roll:
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

Well it appears the majority have voted for Morsi and the constitution, irrespective of what they may say, it is well known that most of the Egyptians in Luxor follow the local crowd, so what they say in public does not reflect what they really feel or have voted for.

Morsi is a popular figure, and a runner up in the Time person of the year award. Mind Obama was the winner so you can take that how it appears too. :urm:

http://poy.time.com/2012/12/19/runner-u ... er-broker/
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!