Egypt gov't plans to legalise tuk-tuks

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt gov't plans to legalise tuk-tuks

Post by DJKeefy »

The tuk-tuk, Egypt's much-derided three-wheel transport, could finally be officially licenced for use on the country's streets, the state-run Al-Ahram newspaper reports.

Egyptian Prime Minister Hisham Qandil met with the interior minister on Monday to discuss new procedures by which tuk-tuk owners could obtain licence plates for their motorised vehicles.

A ministerial decision on the matter will be released soon, Al-Ahram's report claims.

Qandil also said a solution was coming for the problem of unlicenced motorcycles, popular with vast numbers of Egyptian youth.

In February, Egypt's sole tuk-tuk assembler GB Auto campaigned for the budget vehicle to be reclassified as a motorcycle, which would qualify it for lower sales tax.

Egypt's sales tax department said that since tuk-tuks often serve as taxis they should be taxed in the same way.

Tuk-tuks made up 12 per cent of GB Auto’s sales in 2011, up from 8 per cent the year before.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/56867.aspx

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Egypt gov't plans to legalise tuk-tuks

Post by A-Four »

Yet another daft statement from this government. The tuk-tuk is such an important mode of transport, especially in Middle and Upper Egypt, used mainly by the poor and often the old women who need to get their weekly shopping to their homes, where normal modes of transport can not get through the narrow lanes.

Often when I travelled away from Luxor to visit friends in towns up and down the Nile Valley, I would get off the train and ask for a tuk-tuk, I knowing full well, that a normal taxi would not be able to get myself and a rather large ruck-sack to where I wanted to be. These mini-cabs bring an a small income to so many young poor people throughout Egypt,...............what next an M.O.T.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I'd just love a tuk-tuk!!!!!!!
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

saw one on the west bank a few times last week
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I always felt that Stan should have utilized this mode of transport rather than an unstable badly designed so called scooter, the ones in Cairo and India are customised to the max, I love 'em.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

You do see a small number on the West Bank, usually nearer the bridge. I'm told that here tuk-tuks are not allowed to carry fare-paying passengers ... the taxi-drivers would never allow it! I'd love to travel in one! Could a non-driver easily learn to handle one?
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

TonyC wrote: I'd love to travel in one! Could a non-driver easily learn to handle one?
You often see children driving them.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I'm beginning to feel that way too, George! Much harder than I thought to recover the skills I had at 18 with my Lambretta 175!

I was surprised that none of the countless thousands are licenced though - would be a great boost to the government's coffers. It does seem that here the taxi and caleche trades have put pressure on the local government to ban their presence though - what better way to travel around the West bank and feel the atmosphere! I would liken it to riding in a horseless caleche, which would put paid to the illegal caleche rides around the West bank.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

BENNU wrote:
TonyC wrote: I'd love to travel in one! Could a non-driver easily learn to handle one?
Ah, but children are much cleverer than me when it comes to machines! :D . Attempted a scooter once and a car once as a teenager but the tirade of abuse from friends when I almost crashed their beloved vehicles put me off for a long time! Now, a lifetime later, it's probably very silly to think I could be independently mobile. It's likely to be a case of
:mb: followed by :gw:
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

BENNU wrote:
Ah, but children are much cleverer than me when it comes to machines! :D . Tried a scooter once and a car once as a teenager but the tirade of abuse from friends when I almost crashed their beloved vehicles put me off for a long time! Now, a lifetime later, it's probably very silly to think of being independently mobile. It's likely to be
:mb: followed by :gw: