Doctors threaten hospital strike, demand meeting with Morsy

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Doctors threaten hospital strike, demand meeting with Morsy

Post by DJKeefy »

The board of the Doctors Syndicate will call for a strike in all hospitals countrywide starting 1 October , on the first of October unless their demands are met.

The strike will be preceded by protests in Cairo and other governorates with doctors wearing white coats and black scarves. Syndicate members will also organize sit-ins within subsidiary unions.

Doctors are protesting the government’s impassiveness towards their demands to increase funding allocated to the health sector to 15 percent and to activate a police department for guarding health institutions.

The Doctors Syndicate board held an emergency meeting Thursday evening to discuss their demands and the agenda for the general assembly, scheduled for 21 September.

The Syndicate said in a statement Friday that it will request an emergency meeting with the president, the prime minister and ministers concerned with health affairs in order to agree on a timetable for meeting their demands.

Syndicate members emphasized that their “partial” strike would not include emergency cases, and would be limited to cases that are not serious.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/do ... ting-morsy

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Doctors threaten hospital strike, demand meeting with Mo

Post by DJKeefy »

Like I said a few months back, It seems like all of Egypt wants to go on strike, most of them wanting wage rises that is impossible to give them in the current finacial situation.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I blame all this on cheap Thompson holidays and, as often stated 'lust-lorn females getting ripped off, for 2O years they reaped the rewards of 'the mubarak's money making schemes, now that they have got what they all wanted, they want to keep those standards. Well it's about time they were told "It ain't going to happen, not in their lifetime anyway.
Don't see farmers going on strike do you ? No, animals need feeding and fields need furrowing..'rant over...:cool:
PS: i'm trying to cut down my nicotine intake, qed.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

DJKeefy wrote:Like I said a few months back, It seems like all of Egypt wants to go on strike, most of them wanting wage rises that is impossible to give them in the current finacial situation.
I think the doctors' call is about more than a wage rise!
Don't see farmers going on strike do you ? No, animals need feeding and fields need furrowing..'rant over...
The Dr gives me the opportunity to highlight a detailed report yesterday headlined "Abandoned by the system, Egypt’s farmers suffer discrimination, violence and poverty".

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/ab ... nd-poverty
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Perhaps they're also fed up of whole villages converging on them, never mind whole families, when someone is seriously ill.