Hilton Luxor Resort raises EGP 16,500 for Luxor Orphanage

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Hilton Luxor Resort raises EGP 16,500 for Luxor Orphanage

Post by DJKeefy »

Recently, over forty Hilton Worldwide staff members and general managers from the company’s 18 hotels across Egypt were joined by HE Ezzat Mohamed Saad, the governor of Luxor while spending the day with the children of the Sunshine Orphanage in Luxor, Egypt. This special outing is in line with the company’s “Blue Energy” concept of encouraging passion and commitment among staff members to undertake community service activities.

The Hilton Luxor Resort chefs and staff set up and prepared a range of dishes on-site for the children’s lunch while the regional members served them their meals, played team games with them and organized an auction where artwork created by the children was sold. The auction raised EGP 16, 500, which was given directly to the orphanage. During the visit, the children gave the Hilton members a message in a bottle with their wishes, letting them know their dreams and what they would like to become when they grow up.

“At Hilton Luxor we believe that the success of our business is directly tied to the success of the community in which we operate,” said Christoph Schleissing, General Manager of Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa. “Hilton Luxor has a long-standing relationship with the Sunshine Orphanage which is in line with Hilton’s global commitment to supporting local youth initiatives. Our relationship with the Sunshine Orphanage helps ensure the care and protection of underprivileged children in Luxor with the hope of providing the proper environment to encourage the success of future generations of Egyptians. It was an honor for all the local and regional Hilton staff to have the opportunity to spend the day with the children at the orphanage and to extend our support in a more personal way.”

The Sunshine Project was founded in 1996 by Pearl Smith and Dr. Amr Taha, secretary General of the Egyptian Doctors Association after a visit to Luxor by Pearl, where she felt compelled to help the street children she saw living in implorable conditions. The Sunshine Project is a non-profit charity established in the UK which provides funding and aid to the children of Luxor, Egypt. The Sunshine Foundation in Luxor offers a home, personal care and shelter, education, recreation and health facilities to abandoned, orphaned or needy children in the area. The orphanage currently houses 93 children.

Hilton Worldwide hotels are an integral part of the communities in which they operate; supporting local charities and initiatives where they feel they can make a difference. As the world’s leading global hospitality company, Hilton Worldwide has always stood behind its long-term commitment to CSR initiatives under four broad themes: creating opportunities, strengthening communities, celebrating cultures and living sustainably.

Source: http://www.albawaba.com/business/pr/hil ... age-405308

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Sounds as though the kids had a great time & good to see local corporate support :D
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Marketing.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

But marketing with a decent outcome for some children! :)
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If you read the press release carefully all it cost the Hilton was a few meals. Charity is ok, but I think using orphans for publicity is really distasteful.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Glyphdoctor wrote:If you read the press release carefully all it cost the Hilton was a few meals. Charity is ok, but I think using orphans for publicity is really distasteful.
:) True charity shouldn't involve a press release and self congratulation...
Ostentatious displays of humility and generosity usually indicate the opposite to be true.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Such churlishness just before Christmas! In an ideal world where "true charity" existed everywhere, I would tend to agree. But there is no ideal world, even if some individuals do practise true charity. So I don't worry about picking over the press release – I would expect such puffery from any PR department. And nobody has to publish the release, so giving the corporation its publicity! And charities, presumably, are happy to "use" the less fortunate – children or animals – to raise funds for a good cause.

So, if anyone from Hilton is reading this ... there are other charities caring about children in Luxor, too! :)
Jo

Post by Jo »

I don't intend my comments to open a charity bashing debate but thse are my comments.

Glyph - your assuming that is all it cost the company by your post mortum of the article. Don't judge something by what you read it may well not be the whole picture.

I do agree with you to a degree with regard publicity but it is a very double edged sword, perhaps such an article will prompt others to help and support charities in the area helping them continue their work, the more support and finacial donations received ultimately has a knock on effect to how many people /children/ animals that charity can help and in these hard times in Egypt and with recession else where in the world every little helps to keep the care going in these charities.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Glyph's post reminds me of Oscar's definition of a cynic - one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing! The kids had a good time, the charity benefited - 'nuff said!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Hilton Luxor Resort raises EGP 16,500 for Luxor Orphanag

Post by Who2 »

Just came across this thread, Glyph who obviously never tried collecting for charity, reminded me of Pearl in the early days saying 'thrust the babies at them George it works better. I can remember me once saying to Kim of Ace 'animals is easy, one whole donkey can feed 5O kids for one week.
The Brooke has always had loads'o money since the victorian days....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Better still convert the kids into soylent green.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Now that was a great movie!
Carpe diem! :le: