Hepatitis C Campaign to Test Foreigners Living in Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Hepatitis C Campaign to Test Foreigners Living in Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

According to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah’s speech at the final session of the Arab and African Youth forum in Aswan, foreigners residing in Egypt are to be screened as part of the “100 Million Lives” initiative’s new phase.

Launched in October 2018, 100 Million Seha (Health) is the country’s largest ever anti-hepatitis campaign, and had screened nearly 30 million Egyptians as of last month.

The national campaign is part of President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi’s initiative announced earlier in February 2018 to free the country from the disease by 2020. It is taking place from October 2018 until April 2019 in all of Egypt’s governorates, targeting people between the ages of 19-59.

According to a statement made by the Health Minister Hala Zayed, 30,375 million Egyptian citizens have participated in the ”100 Million Seha (Health)” campaign to test for hepatitis C (HCV).

Although the campaign had for goal to detect and treat 50 million then 100 million, its current target is still considered a partial success.

Egyptians were urged to get tested at workplaces, in malls and in neighborhood communities. Many volunteers were trained and given testing kits to carry out the test for others.

There are also testing halls in most public and private hospitals requiring only the national ID for testing.

In 2017, a medical tourism campaign was launched by the Egyptian government under the name Tour N’ Cure,

The Argentinian Barcelona player Lionel Messi had a one day visit to Egypt during February last year to promote the program.

While the Tour N’ Cure program offers hepatitis C patients a low-cost treatment for the disease, it faced criticism in regards to its efficiency delivering medical treatment.

Hepatitis C is considered one of the most vicious health problems in Egypt. The world health organization found that the country has the highest prevalence of hepatitis C in the world in 2015, with 22 percent of Egyptian blood donors tested positive for the disease. The use of unsterilized injections first caused the virus to surface in Egypt in the 1950s.

Source: https://egyptianstreets.com/2019/03/18/ ... -in-egypt/

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Hepatitis C Campaign to Test Foreigners Living in Egypt

Post by carrie »

There was a mobile testing station here for a few weeks near the ferry, I think the tests were voluntary, they also tested for diabetes.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Maybe the test will be another requirement of getting a visa to live in Egypt, and who knows what else they will be secretly testing for, HIV, drugs? Some Egyptians I know seem to think that way :o
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

DJKeefy wrote:Maybe the test will be another requirement of getting a visa to live in Egypt, and who knows what else they will be secretly testing for, HIV, drugs? Some Egyptians I know seem to think that way :o
When I was in hospital in Cairo more than ten years ago, I was given a drugs and HIV test, although I was not told at the time, but given the result afterwards. When I asked why, one of the doctors informed me that, if the result had been positive then ALL staff would have been given extra protection, whatever that meant.

I am informed that most hospitals in London carry out an HIV test on all patients before operations, whether the person likes it or not, and are told the results, again whether they like it or not.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Whilst I was living and working in Jordan I was required to have an HIV test annually. Not a very nice experience as the nurses thought your arm was a dart board! Don't be surprised if Egypt follows suit.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

crewmeal wrote:Whilst I was living and working in Jordan I was required to have an HIV test annually. Not a very nice experience as the nurses thought your arm was a dart board! Don't be surprised if Egypt follows suit.
They already do the HIV test each year if you are working there.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I think you may be right DJ and testig might be a requirement for you visa.....more expense!! :lol:
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Stop knocking Egypt MT. We know you hate the place judging by all your comments, but many love it especially me.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I actually wouldn't object to having the tests or paying for them.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
I am informed that most hospitals in London carry out an HIV test on all patients before operations, whether the person likes it or not, and are told the results, again whether they like it or not.
Rubbish.

Guys and St Thomas introduced routine pre-op HIV testing some 3 years ago but you can opt out.

The idea of non-consensual testing and relaying of HIV results is surreal!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I don't think there are many foreigners 'hawadga's living in Egypt, they are all tourists it says it on the visa's sah ?..... 8)
Ps" I'm on me oliday's get over it...
I once had an HIV test, a new dodgy girlfriend but, don't put it on the CV....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Each to their own Crewmeal!
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Bizarre proposal from Sisi.Is the testing of foreigners - 8 million a year - to be compulsory and where is the law to enforce that. After 50 years of stuff-ups in HepC and with 9-14 million infected, 100-200,000 dying a year and 150=200,00 reinfections a year many of them by doctors, hospitals or dentists - aren't there higher priorities. On the other hand any intelligent Egyptian doctor - few exist and most have left - would tell you that HepC infections in Eastern Europe and particularly the dreadful Russia are high. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6129a2.htm

Obviously money is ample for this to be proposed but maybe its a money making exercise or, more likely a crippled (my apologies to physical cripples who are fine people) PR exercise to show that 'Egypt Loves the World' or similar rot. Rule 103 - turn everything into a PR diversion and don't do the boring priority job.

If you are thinking of having a test do a good will signed in the British Embassy first because the Minister of Health showing the genius of never learning from past mistakes demanded that doctors reuse needles and locked up/restrained a female member of the Doctor's syndicate who called him mad (a large understatement). (HepC 'took off 40 years ago in a public health inoculation program in Egypt which was poorly managed by the WHO but stuffed up entirely by the Ministry - estimated dead/foreshortened lived 5-10 million - a world record the greatest 'doctor killing' in history).https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/egyp ... e-syringes

The Hep C was originally spread via reused needles yet there is no money for fixing this in Egypt which leads to something south of 150,000 new infections a year, As usual they ignore the screaming obvious - particularly if it involves accepting responsibility for muck-ups that border evil or at least criminal negligence.

Egypt after 18 years has not moved to the reusable needle - India, Indonesia and most of the rest of the world have. https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... ion-a-year Med el Dawlia ICO or ICO it’s a remarkable company owned by the Khalil family in Asyut has been making them for 8 years, exports to the region, meets international standards but sells nothing to Egypt who are awaiting the copyright to run out following which the Supreme Militarios Medisios will do the job - 2 years to run. The Military are very good at drawing blood - usually on an industrial scale. Money must always be made - even if based on the corpses that were failed.

My guess is that the caravan/mobile testing facility is just that - no treatment. How and when the blood is chilled and how and when its transported to a testing labs about as clear as the quality of their recording systems allowing them to trace back and contact a person who is infected.

Decades of ignoring HepC although its true the treatment - interferon based - until 10 years ago had side affects and wasn't 100%. All of that western funded. Side effects or not they never tries even though 70-89% success rates were possible.

Recent - I think 3 - announcements over 3 year period that this new testing was underway/progressed/almost finished each have has no announcement about treatment and with infection rates that were a fraction of WHO info and even lower than the results published in refereed western medical journals. Figures when released are rounded numbers with 6 zeros, not expressed as approximations and therefore the standard rot/lied/fabrications.

Delay and a slow start are part of Egypt with most other sprinting countries on the 100 meter dais whilst Egypt is still bent over the starting blocks whilst she waves in Hawass flourish at a crowd whose attention is elsewhere. The new treatment drugs include one developed by a Jew who was kicked out/driven out by Nasser. The pushing and shoving with Merck and others with theses new and effective treatments over 6 years has delayed action belong belief. Now a joke of a local pharma firm Pharco (I Suspect military owned and active in Romania, never developed a drug more complex than Asprin and whose website gives huge provenance to the size of its vehicle fleet - very small) allegedly producing millions of doses of one, two or none in breach of copyright and flouncing around conferences promising to publish their medical findings but none ever published. The majority of their garbage are herbal and so-called natural remedies sold to the stupid and desperate with no medical evidence of efficacy.

It is a company that would be de registered in most countries in the west or not allowed in product areas where it has no skills and many in the third world so those local residents and medical tourists (Pharco has been running HepC medical tourism for over 3 years and paid the criminal tax avoider Messi Euro1-4 million for that creatures burps and gaseous language 2 years ago in Egypt) are raving fools to go near the 'Egypt Cure' - but fools aren't short in Egypt. Its subsidiary in San Francisco (Presidio for president) seems a shop front and PR outlet run by people with not a skerrick of pharma, medicine, medical research or medical trial experience, skills or education. its a standard Egyptian/Junta business - 100 meter frontage and 1 meter depth..

Somehow those other thieves of copyright, the Chinese, seem to be coupling with the l'horizantale Egyptian for reasons hard to determine except money making. Merck offered them a 99% price discount 5 years ago but were rebuffed at the same time as the Supreme Militarios Copyrightius rejected, as it often, does the application for copyright.

A whole pattern of stuff-ups over 2 generations with 'dealing with' widespread infectious diseases including the horrible Polio that they finally got rid of around 2004 only to have it come back because of foul sewerage. The Rockefeller Foundation paid for the removal of Malaria around 1943 but Malaria and other mosquito born diseases are back in Upper Egypt in the past decade. Luxor was a big center of activity in '43 for reasons too complicated to do into.

In addition dangerous diseases are widespread in the domesticated animal population and the army that now owns the meat import business is bringing in meat/live animals from foot and mouth and variations on Mad Cow from places like Brazil - presumably to make money and avoid places like Australia and New Zealand that violently object to animal cruelty in Egypt.

Eye diseases might be manageable if you are rich in a desk based job but if you are poor and a manual worker or a home mother its the end. The Lancet has been writing about eye diseases for 118 years - the greatest medical journal in the world, and they were bad. Around that time that 'dirty filthy jew' - grand glorious Egyptian language but not prevalent or even existent in 1910 but whipped up by Nasser after 1952 - Sir Ernest Cassell established a world standard Institute (now just a retirement home for scientists allergic to work - and mobile hospitals to treat tranchoma and hire a world leader MacCallan to work on it for 20 years. World leaders in all things including medicine now stay away. https://bjo.bmj.com/content/85/12/1406

Schistosomiasis has been around for 5.000 years was under control until 1967, has ballooned since - probably because suppression activity was focused on snail control and not on human infections beings - how Egyptian, where the humans in this and all of the above are generally poor people. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4293883/

One could go on for hundreds of pages and a scholar should document all the stuff ups/missed opportunities/delays/financial greed but my points are:

A lot of all of the above and probably HepC are show off western funded programs. For Example the WHO is paying for the HepC testing but this is hidden and the army/Sisi/the governor are given all credit.

In the case of HepC there is no data or facts3 years in for those treated and cured.

The whole track record of Junta/Ministry of Health in relation to such matters is stuff-ups, poor management. disregard for the poor and stealing drugs.

The Junta is of such low IQ/poor management/limited mental flexibility that they cant do 5 things at a time or deliver a single program at 5 levels of activity depending on need/sickness.Its always one size fits all. For example the aggressive treatment of infected and pregnant mums or infected babies and young children would seem to most to be a high priority.

Ego, posturing and moneymaking always have priority to human needs.

The health of poor people is irrelevant even when, in the case of HepC, it has a major negative effect on productivity, it increases health expenditures and leaves kids orphans - it was ever thus since 1952 under a government whose obly objective is maintaining power against public opinion.

A disease that does not affect the elite will get scant.delayed and incompetent attention and only if the West pays for it.

Oceans of money are available for a navy it doesn't need ($US10-20 billion) French planes that are useless and not needed by the 6th largest ariforce in the world that always looses, the 5th largest tank force in the world ($US20 billion capital base) that hasn't been active since '73, has always failed ($US30 billion) and where 1/3rd-12 are permanently disabled by poor acquaintance and a $US60 billion new capital city with no demonstrated need and no cost benefit analysis.The recently built, allegedly, the largest military base in the region - no port (bizarre) - with, they say 1,300 separate buildings which must have cost $US1-3 billion. Money is always available for, in metaphorical terms, the blustering loudmouth in the year 8 playground whom everyone knows is just wind, stupidity and insecurity.