Borrower is Servant to the Lender.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Borrower is Servant to the Lender.

Post by Hafiz »

“If I owe you a pound, I have a problem; but if I owe you a million, the problem is yours.”
-John Maynard Keynes

Here is Egypt’s Sovereign debt - the debt which is admitted publicy.

But this Sovereign debt is being increased on the international markets every month or so.

As a percentage of GDP its considerably higher than Jordan and hugely higher than Indonesia, Turkey and India. (Good that Egypt’s debt is in good hands. Its also good that Egypt's economy and tax base is better managed than these dreadfully mismanaged and collapsing places that use their debt for useless national symbols with no economic purpose ;) .)

Of course all this debt is a sin against Islam because interest is paid on it in nor-Koranic terms. Al Azhar should be asked to denounce it or, more realistically, change their Koranic teachings to catch up with the last 500 years. The religiously devout President could be asked whether he is a heretic or whether he rejects this part of Islam. What do you think the chances of either happening - facing up to reality. ;)

Its increased by 41% in one year (I suspect it has increased by more) and is arguably not sustainable given Government tax revenues, hidden debts, poor management and low growth. In addition a deal of the debt has been wasted on prestige projects or purchases. The rate of increase also implies there is a frenzy in government and that choices for the debt usage not carefully considered.

The $US20 billion in short-term high-yielding Egypt Treasury Bills should probably be added to the above figure. https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb/20 ... -the-float

The international Bills have high interest rates (17%) of payable in international currency so that makes them very expensive to the Egyptian taxpayer.

Most sovereign debt is not raised by the Government of Egypt but by the Central Bank. This is very unusual but means that Parliament and debate and media scrutiny is excluded and interest rates and conditions largely hidden. Cabinet is probably excluded but I can't be certain. I wonder why. To describe the Central Bank as a well run organization independent of government would not be right – although the IMF thinks well of its governor and this confirms my dark view of both. Raising debt in this was also means there is not disclosure of the purpose of the debt and therefore no accountability for its actual use. http://en.qantara.de/content/egypts-ris ... nopaging=1

Its likely some debt is used to fill the big gap between tax revenues and day to day government expenditure which is a really bad approach. Its impossible to know because of the Central Bank secrecy and the laughable budget documentation.

Debt is not a problem if its invested in money making projects or infrastructure that will help companies make money and create jobs but a lot of this debt has previously gone into military hardware, the new capital and other high status projects that will not make money.

Debt could go to useful purposes including purposes which would benefit millions. For example the school system is unreformed, indeed there are not even plans to reform it, and the basic infrastructure of the country, with the possible exception of Cairo, is not in good shape. Unemployment is still critical and the government figures on this from CAPMAS probably understate it.

In the last few years government expenditure on health and education has actually reduced – but this gets no attention in local media or even from politicians. http://en.qantara.de/content/egypts-ris ... nopaging=1

Rather I think fixing deep problems like Education is seen as long term and low priority (to getting elected and satisfying the power group that send their kids to private schools) whereas the government would prefer a quick theatrical shopping spree of finished objects, often military, that can be displayed instantly. Much of these spends are also self-serving - to put it mildly.

Probably hidden in these figures are the debts of the Government to the Egyptian banking system. Figures are deliberately hidden but at least half of the bank loans in Egypt are to the government or its appendages (this explains in part why civilians find loans hard to obtain). The several billion owed to oil companies for previously supplied oil is probably not included. Whether the ten billion for the nuclear plant and the unspecified debt for the ‘world’s largest desalination plant’ is included in table 1 not clear but my guess is that it isn’t.

It’s a situation where anything nasty could tip the load. For example the current surge in oil prices. https://thearabweekly.com/egypt-faces-b ... oil-prices

The massive increase in National Reserves can’t all be coming from capital inflows so maybe a deal of the debt is just funneled into the Central Bank Reserves and sits there doing nothing.

I don’t think the public debt includes the ‘gifts’ from the Gulf and Saudi, which are in the10’s of billions, and its hard to know whether these ‘donors’ expect their money back.

Paying debt back isn’t a problem if you export more than you import but Egypt has been in the negative in this for ages.

Its clear that the capital spending is principally by the state – with all the problems that go with that – because the capital inflows which have increased but fluctuate in an odd way are often speculative or for the Stock Exchange:

If tourism kicked off the debt might be manageable – in the long term – but that may not happen – the Russians have yet to arrive and terrorism is unresolved and maybe worse. The problem is that a lot of the debt is one year (20%) and none longer than five year. (this has changed dramatically in six years – previously it was much more long term) The effect is that a deal of debt is rolled over, possibly because it is hard to repay the capital. They need the money short term - in many cases.

If there wasn’t a large and persistent budget deficit by the State they might pay back the debt.

Here is a terrorism index for the past 10 years which indicates the Government is not managing this well - specifically one President:

If a military government can't manage it one imagines a civilian government would be ten times worse - or better. :roll:

And here are the tourism arrivals:

The source for the above is Egyptian military controlled CAPMAS statistical agency - I don't believe them. The figures don't show duration - which I guess has shortened. The figures don't show average spend which I guess has dropped. The figures also don't show that world tourism has exploded in the past 4 years as economies have recovered from 2008 and as the Chinese have entered the market in enormous numbers. Therefore even if Egyptian tourism numbers recovered to 2010 levels that would put them massively behind in comparative terms in a world market that has hugely grown in numbers and in average spend.

A US Government study on the last debt Egyptian crisis in 1990: http://countrystudies.us/egypt/104.htm Off topic but interesting because everything repeats itself in some places.

A thoughtful local article on why economic indicators give a poor picture on human well-being: https://www.madamasr.com/en/2018/02/06/ ... egyptians/

It looks like a dangerous shopping/debt spree to me with unclear/absurd objectives – but the Gulf continues to buy debt, the IMF coos and the rating agencies are OK but the IMF and ratings agencies missed the 2008 train crash so they are far from perfect. In an earlier intervention the IMF and World Bank 'fixed' Egypt but only an idiot would believe that.

In any Event Keynes is wrong in infallible Egyptian terms and all his books should be burnt - because of his perversion and debauchery. Egyptian economics is perfect and is better by being purged of all decadent Western influences - but not the pure Western dollar. :roll:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Borrower is Servant to the Lender.

Post by newcastle »

I'd like to have seen Quantara.de's take on the situation...but it seems to be one of the many sites blocked here in Egypt. I assume it has little positive to say.

""The editorial team works to publish writing by Western and Islamic authors who seek open and respectful discussion of both commonalities and controversial subjects. Qantara.de has been selected by Britannica's editors as a Web's BestSite." Not from Egypt's point of view....obviously.

The arabweekly link is more informative and is a site that hasn't (so far) upset the censors. Egypt's putting a lot of faith in the Zahr gas field to cover its energy shortfall but I would still anticipate a further diminution of fuel subsidies...adding more misery to the living costs of the general public.

The madrmasr link.....well, that went the way of Quantara many moons ago. So I can't comment.

Of course, shutting off unpleasant news (or opinion, if you prefer) from the local English reading, engaged public ( a few thousand ?) is one thing....but I imagine the suppliers of international finance are not so easily fobbed off.

We know what happened the last time Egypt's ambitions got ahead of fiscal reality. But memories fade after 150 years.

And surely it could never happen it the modern world...a country being dictated to by its creditors?

Some men in Athens might have a different perspective :roll:

Looking on the bright side....Egypt's vulnderability to foreign creditors might curb some of its more bellicose ideas (re Ethiopia for example) but human rights, as ever, seems to be off the table when it comes to inter-state financial transactions.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Thanks.

I'm truly surprised. Quantara is absolutely bland - stats and almost no commentary. Why the hell would you block it? There must be dozens of others with the same stats - are they all blocked. Maybe Quantara is Jewish.

I didn't know about Madamasr. Its tone is pretty moderate, the writing style excellent and rarely strident or polemical. On the other hand its content is embarrassing. God knows. Some idiot may have been given a censorship job and is using that universal Egyptian skill - Rote Learning. Its a skill which does not include judgement or discretion.

Maybe they are really paranoid and cutting off everything and putting everyone in jail. Wouldn't that be the Rote Learning approach?

Newcastle the point I didn't clearly make is that there are public and private debts. The blocked website only covers the former.

The domestic indebtedness to local banks is deadly for local economic activity unless you are a connected person. For the bulk of ordinary Egyptians getting a commercial loan and a housing loan isn't only restricted by the skill less banking sector but also by the lack of money to loan after the Government has taken it in its highly demanding 'manner'. That's has awful social effects, reduces job creation and such short term thinking.

I forgot to mention that the Government is printing money like there is no tomorrow - maybe there will be no tomorrow. Its using that to pay its bills but the volume is adding to inflation. The last figures I saw on this were six months ago so I don't know whether good sense has prevailed - it probably hasn't and probably wont until after the election. It might never prevail.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Hafiz...you have to be here to experience/appreciate the paranoia that has seeped into the regime's attitude to any outlet giving negative or embarrassing info. It's gone from the sublime ...to the ridiculous over the last couple of years.

Anyone raising an opinion contrary to that of the regime is demonised....or worse.

I was also surprised to see Qantara blocked....I'd never heard of them. Their Wikipedia entry looks pretty innocuous.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Hafiz, "For the bulk of ordinary Egyptians getting a commercial loan and a housing loan isn't only restricted by the skill less banking sector but also by the lack of money to loan after the Government has taken it in its highly demanding 'manner'. "

I have been told if you don't work for the government you cannot get a loan.
Carpe diem! :le:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Very Oppressive I think, but a lot of people would either suspect this or know it. Goodness knows what the future holds for Egypt, I would hate to think...
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Yes and no. it means that current loans go only to those on the inside. World Bank and other programs have been short lived and independent of the banking system and therefore achieved little permanent change.

The government controlled/owned banking system does not work on commercial principles - just political ones. It also doesn't have much cash to loan because its biggest customer, loan client, is government and there is not much left to loan.

The idea of reforming this banking system assumes that these cretin ways would adapt to new rules. I don't think they would therefore their corporate destruction and starting again from scratch with new staff might be a better approach. Reform only works if people want to change - I think most insiders don;t want to change and have rigid and dogmatic views about their entitlement.

Unless the banking system changes in fundamental ways there will be little more than the current program. That program is government debt-fueled stimulus - almost always construction with contracts to big firms within their control.

If you want something that delivers longer term growth with benefits to a large group in the population you focus on small to medium sized firms into services, new technology and related matters. Those people need capital/loans and at the moment they can't get it. Such development is job rich and, unlike construction, provides longer term/career jobs and middle class jobs.

At the moment there is no evidence that the military government is interested in giving economic/jobs power to other than insiders or developing industries beyond Tourism and Construction and the low and non-permanent wage/jobs that involves. They are fools and do their citizens great evil.

An arguable view would be that the economic/social policies of Egypt cannot last long without a major disruption.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Looking at those graphs, things seemed to have gone down the pan the day Mubarak went into the can. The horse has gone now, so no point in closing the stable, or should that be unstable, doors.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Dusak. Yes that's how it looks.

However if you take into account that the 2008 figures are at the value then, therefore those figures would be higher if you adjusted them to 2018 value. But generally you are right. See my post on a related matter of debt about Mubarak's debt crisis before 1990 and how the western taxpayer 'fixed it'. Therefore Mubarak did have his debt crisis its just not on the above graph.

The Central Bank of Egypt is the source for the above graph - I don't trust them.