Baksheesh and social tipping points

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

By Khaled Diab

Egypt’s ‘baksheesh’ culture helps poor people get by and maintains relative social peace, but it encourages subservience.

21 January 2011

One sure sign that I’ve arrived in Egypt is that my wallet and pockets suddenly get fatter as they pile on the Egyptian pounds to deal with the country’s largely cash-based economy. In addition, I always endeavour to carry plenty of lower denomination banknotes to facilitate the prodigious amount of tipping ahead.

With the relative uncommonness of tipping in northern Europe, I experience quite a culture shock for the first few days of any visit. In Belgium, tipping is only common at restaurants and occasionally at bars, though quite a few Belgians I know never tip.

In Egypt, leaving sweeteners at eateries is only the tip of the tipping iceberg. Alongside haggling, tipping is a pervasive feature of the Egyptian economy. Millions of Egyptians depend on these gratuities for their survival and exist in a kind of parallel ‘baksheesh economy‘, abandoned by government and employers alike. In fact, the cynic in me might quip that, with the grinding poverty, neglect, marginalisation and disempowerment that poor Egyptians endure, tips could be the only change, loose as it might be, that some are willing to believe in.

In a country with high unemployment and overflowing with surplus labour, well-off Egyptians tip everyone from deliverymen, unofficial parking supervisors and petrol pump attendants to the even less necessary toilet attendants who hand them a napkin to dry their hands and the bagger who packs their shopping at the checkout.

Expat Egyptians are often expected to go that extra mile, and dig deeper into their pockets and tip at a greater angle than locals. By the end of any visit to Egypt, I experience something akin to tipping fatigue.

My wife speaks fluent Arabic, is streetwise and can haggle better than a local, but the language of baksheesh is one she’s never warmed to nor cared to master. Despite years of experience and my awareness of the economic importance of tipping, I also dislike the practice which, I am well aware, I unwittingly connive in perpetuating.

When I pay baksheesh, I do so partly because it is a social norm but mostly out of a sense of guilt at the wide economic gulf generally separating me from the person I am tipping. And in a society where the LE 35 minimum monthly wage (less than £4) is irrelevant, where labour protection is a joke and where social safety nets are tattered and threadbare, baksheesh helps somewhat to redistribute wealth and, at its best, is an informal expression of social solidarity and cohesion.

But, as my wife rightly points out, baksheesh is neither the most efficient nor the fairest way of seeking greater socio-economic justice. For people like me who believe in equality and egalitarianism, part of the problem is that baksheesh reward subservience, punish dignity and encourage a master-servant sort of mentality between the well-off and the poor.

Though tips may take the edge off poverty and maintain social peace, looked at unflatteringly, they also serve to keep the poor in their place by constantly reminding them of how their economic survival is not down to their hard work but due to the patronage of their “betters”.

In anticipation of a tip, ingratiation and hypocrisy are often the order of the day, though I make a point of tipping less or not at all in such circumstances. Very proud workers might forgo tips which, for many menial service sector jobs, is tantamount to financial suicide, while others will swallow their pride at the altar of economic survival, which necessitates that the sensitive tipper must try his best to be subtle and considerate when tipping them.

Baksheesh also provide employers in the service sector with the opportunity to dump the responsibility for their workers on to the customers’ laps and, hence, act as a disincentive to work, except in circumstances where a tip is forthcoming.

The baksheesh culture makes it difficult to read the intentions of certain strangers and decide whether they’re doing you a favour out of the goodness of their heart or in anticipation of your papering their palm with banknotes. Misread the signals and you could end up unintentionally insulting a generous stranger or being insulted by a mean one. The same can also apply to poorer people you know personally.

Far more troubling is how the baksheesh culture has become endemic, over the past few decades, in the underpaid civil service and public sector, which, one could say, has effectively privatised the government and made it accessible only to those who can pay.

Though I too have been guilty of discreetly greasing some palms to expedite paperwork to which I’m entitled, the occasions on which I have done this have left me with a bitter aftertaste, a sense of self-loathing and a “never again” vow.

Usually, however, I obstinately refuse to pay which brings along its own set of frustrations in the form of stonewalling, bureaucratic origami and long and winding paper trails. A few years ago, my wife and I gave up, in anger and frustration, on registering our marriage in Egypt because it was transforming our holiday into a helly-day, and I’ve yet to pluck up the courage to try to register our son’s birth.

As a form of social solidarity, baksheesh will at best paper over the cracks but can never tip the balance on poverty. On the down side, tips provide poor incentives to work, create subservience and even promote petty corruption. And as inequalities widen, baksheesh will not be able to stave off the inevitable reckoning between the haves and have-nothings.

http://chronikler.com/middle-east/egypt/baksheesh/

Carpe diem! :le:
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Baksheesh and social tipping points

Post by FABlux »

What a well written article, I agree with him.

I think (hope) a discreet tip for good service is acceptable without being demeaning to the recipient, e.g. I always take a cool bag with me when I shop for chilled items & a man in 1 shop automatically takes that bag & packs the chilled goods then the other items in my ordinary bag & then carries them to the car :D I think that deserves a tip :)

Living here you get used to the baksheesh culture but I will not tolerate all those kids (& occasionally adults) that ask for it for nothing :xx
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Winged Isis wrote:Baksheesh and social tipping points
By Khaled Diab

And in a society where the LE 35 minimum monthly wage (less than £4)
I think he has missed a zero from that figure. 2010/2011, the lowest wage that I found was 10LE a day without tips (normaly paid to lads working in coffee shops), lads cutting sugar cane or wheat earn 25LE a day, even the lads on the street that collect rubbish from plastic to metal etc can earn well more than 10LE a day.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Four days after that article was published, Egypt went into the revolution! The fervent hope is that many of the social justice problems highlighted in the piece are being, or will be, addressed.

Edited to address Keefy's point. In 2010 the official minimum wage was $6.30 and had been since 1984! Don't know what the exchange rate was then, but the writer's 35LE wouldn't be far out. It's extremely unlikely that anyone was paid so badly but that was the year that courts started ordering the then government to set a much higher minimum wage.
Last edited by TonyC on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I may well be wrong (nothing new there then) but I was of the understanding that baksheesh and the giving of tips were not quite the same thing!

Isn't giving baksheesh, 'spreading the wealth'? And isn't it part of the culture which doesn't necessarily show gratitude at receiving a gift, simply because that same culture demands that the person who 'has' should normally give to the person who 'has not', i.e. it's fully expected, and is indeed, one of the 'Pillars of Islam'? Whereas a tip is given for a level of service which is above the norm, where someone has put themselves out to make your experience even better.

It seems to me that the intermingling of these two forms of wealth redistribution (either intentionally or naturally) has caused a great deal of misunderstanding between Egyptians and foreigners. Foreigners being used to their governments doing the wealth redistribution on their behalf, and very often against their will!

I do fully agree though, that baksheesh (in particular) not only perpetuates the continuance of a poverty stricken underclass, it also perpetuates the 'master - servant' mentality which we can see in the everyday relationships around about us here in Luxor.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Teddyboy wrote:It seems to me that the intermingling of these two forms of wealth redistribution (either intentionally or naturally) has caused a great deal of misunderstanding between Egyptians and foreigners. Foreigners being used to their governments doing the wealth redistribution on their behalf, and very often against their will!

I do fully agree though, that baksheesh (in particular) not only perpetuates the continuance of a poverty stricken underclass, it also perpetuates the 'master - servant' mentality which we can see in the everyday relationships around about us here in Luxor.
You are right on the misunderstanding. Baksheesh covers many areas but we foreigners tend to view it as just a demand for tips or begging. For many Egyptians – Muslims, if you want a religious dimension – baksheesh does include charity. They don't see beggars – just people in need who are the link to gaining "merit" with their Maker. Tipping is also far more widespread than among foreigners ... small amounts for many small services. So until the state can do something to improve the lot of a poverty-stricken underclass, long may it be perpetuated!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Teddyboy wrote:I may well be wrong (nothing new there then) but I was of the understanding that baksheesh and the giving of tips were not quite the same thing!

Isn't giving baksheesh, 'spreading the wealth'? And isn't it part of the culture which doesn't necessarily show gratitude at receiving a gift, simply because that same culture demands that the person who 'has' should normally give to the person who 'has not', i.e. it's fully expected, and is indeed, one of the 'Pillars of Islam'? Whereas a tip is given for a level of service which is above the norm, where someone has put themselves out to make your experience even better.

It seems to me that the intermingling of these two forms of wealth redistribution (either intentionally or naturally) has caused a great deal of misunderstanding between Egyptians and foreigners. Foreigners being used to their governments doing the wealth redistribution on their behalf, and very often against their will!

Congratulations Teddyboy, your statement here is perfect, and therefore stands to prove there is some distance between you and your side kick, after all. Keep this up old boy and you may end up as a free thinking, free speaking person,.......God Bless You. :wi :wi :wi .
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Why thank you A_Four. Nevertheless, I have had something of a reputation for free thinking and free speaking for the past 40 odd years, and my free thoughts have been published (freely) in many forms during that time. I am very opinionated, and have never been afraid of speaking my mind when I thought it appropriate.
On the other hand, and as usual, I see that you still prefer to communicate in riddles!!!! Who the Sam Hill is my 'side kick'? Who is the 'Lone Ranger' to my 'Tonto', the 'Layton' to my 'Johnson', or (more likely) the 'Laurel' to my 'Hardy'? (I used to be a member of the 'Sons of the Desert', you know, many moons ago!)
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Ooh good, I thought it was just me, being an outsider not included on the in-jokes! :lol:
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Perhaps this explains then something Ive noticed in the past and been a bit miffed about. When ive given a wrapped present to a British person, they open it up in front of you, and say the usual "Lovely .........just what I wanted ........ wil match so-and-so ......thank you so much ..,.." etc etc. When Ive given a wrapped present to Egyptian ladies, they wont open it in front of me, they will hurriedly remove it to another room even and seem to act what I can only describe as furtively.
But then some time (days?) later the husbands will tell me how Mme liked the present etc etc. Ive often wondered about it but perhaps this is the reason.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

I've had that experience too; it doesn't worry me any more. My Vietnamese goddaughter and family were like that, but are more "Aussified" now, after more than 20 years here. :)
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I want to try to explain here, this thing called Baksheesh, perhaps one of the most important meanings I ever learnt, in all my time in Egypt, and the Middle East.

I was brought up with a Christian background in the U.K., where you was expected to 'show' Christian charity, in other words let it be known that you not only give to charity, but also show in public what amount you give,e.g. to the Church etc. This has always seemed alien to me, what I give, is what I give, and after a short time in Egypt, I learn't this true meaning that is so different from the West.

It was one bright sunny morning I crossed over the river for something or other, and walked along the street, opposite the old, now de-funked Mina Palace, I came across a young man who had both legs in plaster case, knowing full well this person could not work for some time, this would obviously effect the income of his family home, I gave money. One hour later, I saw the very same person outside the New Emillio Hotel, minus his leg plaster cases, he saw me and ran off, I was furious, spitting feathers, etc.

Back on my side of the river, sat in a cafe, my old friend and guru, came by and asked what was wrong, so it was still obvious this thing had really effected me, I explained the situation, his answer had a dramatic effect on me, that has remained with me. He explained to me that what I had done was God's will that I do this, and therefore God has no problem with me, what I did was right, it is the young man who has a big problem with God, plus the fact that this person has denied a true person in need, which makes the situation even worse, before an all seeing God

Another form of baksheesh, for example away from tourists, often I would watch the Africa's Cup matches in my local cafe's on the WB, often during the interval it would not be un-usual for a man to suddenly come before us to say something like his son, wife or daughter needed medical help in Cairo and that we should give, at the end of his statement, one of the respected elders of our village would stand up, and simply say, "I witness this"., then we would all give, no ifs, no buts.

I would often see an old man begging on the ferry, during the mornings, to me an Egyptian man is a proud soul, and for him to parade himself in such a manner before his own people, one simply has to give. When you do this, one must do this in manner that is different to the West, as that person comes by you, your gift must already be in your hand and then automatically transfer to that persons hand the gift without any one knowing how much this is. This gift is between you, that person and God,.......no one else.

Now lets move into Luxor, between The Isis Hotel and The Shereton Hotel, you may in the past have come across an Egyptian women holding a small baby, begging in the street, (funny after all these years this 'baby' never seems to get any older.) so should you give? The answer is NO. I suppose this is where the 'Spare Rib' mob on here, get on their high horse, but in the East, a women with or without child and in need are aided by the Mosque, or even Coptic Christian the Church take care of such situations, where the Western Church no longer understands such a plight. Notice this said women will not beg from here own people only tourists, that should tell you enough.

As for tipping this is a totally different thing, but also a major way of life in the East. As for restaurants if the food is good 10% is the norm, though exceptional service should warrent more,.............that should keep the like of our friend Bombay happy.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"I was brought up with a Christian background in the U.K., where you was expected to 'show' Christian charity, in other words let it be known that you not only give to charity, but also show in public what amount you give,"

Funny sort of 'Christian background' A_Four! While I wouldn't recommend the Bible as an actual book of instructions, there are advices given within it which are very plain, and have served generations of believers very well. You just need to read the first 18 verses of Mark chapter 6 to see where Christian belief and practice actually stand regarding 'showing off', and not just with regards to giving alms.
Verses 3 and 4 read:"But when you give alms, do not let your right hand know what your left hand is doing that your alms may be in secret;". I've always been disappointed that very rich and famous people are lauded for their, often very public, giving to 'charity'.

"He explained to me that what I had done was God's will that I do this,"

So, your 'Christian background' also prepared you to blithely accept this little piece of pre-determination; the very antithesis of Christianity?

"to me an Egyptian man is a proud soul"

So proud that he is sometimes to be found prostituting himself, with foreigners of either sex?

"an Egyptian women holding a small baby, begging in the street, (funny after all these years this 'baby' never seems to get any older.) so should you give? The answer is NO."

Another gem gleaned from your 'Christian background', A_Four? While I cannot speak directly to the situation of this woman in particular, I do know of several women who's needs are certainly NOT met by the 'Mosque'! Young girls with babies fathered by their close relatives can often be ostracised by their community, and have no other option but to beg or to sell themselves. Several of them do beg from, and receive from, their own kind. It doesn't take much for them to be able to buy a sandwich, or whatever, to keep body and soul together!
'Christian charity' is supposed to be a reflection of God's love for us, in that we are loved just because we 'are', and without qualification. Love that is rationed isn't love at all, and likewise giving alms which require a 'qualification' other than a perceived 'need' cannot be recognised as Christian charity. I would even dare to venture that the difference between Islamic alms giving and Christian charity is one of self-interested duty on the Islamic side, and one of plain old fashioned fellow feeling (or love) on the Christian side! (Christians have nothing to gain from 'good works'.)

Furthermore, I would assert that the Muslims giving to the family in your example, is more akin to the disciple's original pooling of their resources, than anything else. I'm not convinced that that was actually a good example of giving 'baksheesh'. (But I am trying to understand, honestly!)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Teddyboy wrote:
Funny sort of 'Christian background' A_Four! While I wouldn't recommend the Bible as an actual book of instructions, there are advices given within it which are very plain, and have served generations of believers very well. You just need to read the first 18 verses of Mark chapter 6 to see where Christian belief and practice actually stand regarding 'showing off', and not just with regards to giving alms.
Verses 3 and 4 read:"But when you give alms, do not let your right hand know what your left hand is doing that your alms may be in secret;".
The same verse has been going round in my head since first reading the post.

A-Four also says '... in other words let it be known that you not only give to charity, but also show in public what amount you give,e.g. to the Church etc. This has always seemed alien to me, ...'

It has always been my experience, since early childhood that the monetary collection/donations e.g during a service were in closed deep bags (not deep so more could go in although that would be good, but deep so you only needed to hold your hand over and drop in your gift) or when in places that used an open plate usually envelopes were also available. These days, with gift aid etc increasing the value of a donation many people will give a cheque or use direct debit, but on a select confidential few would know where that money had come from.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

It is suprising how many people are wanting to borrow money now, from waiters to villagers, from tradesmen to anyone who dare ask. Three times this week we have been asked to borrow money and the answer has been the same all three times, did it once got caught, and will never do it again, for anyone.

Hard times must be getting harder!!!!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

May I remind you that the modern Christian Church in the West, catholic at that, recommended that one should contribute to a 'silver' collection after mass in other words at least 6d in old money although the official amount was half a crown 2/6, of that, half went direct to Rome, the other half was mean't for the local poor. All the priest I ever came across enjoyed wine far superiour than that of which they offered at the alter. What is written and what is done in this present day, as far as teaching is concurned is more than 2000 miles aparte.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I'm so sorry A_Four, we're obviously talking at crossed purposes here! I'm not at all qualified to comment on 'Popery', which I thought had been thoroughly exposed for what it actually was during the Reformation. I thought you were referring to a 'Christian' background; not one where the masses are kept in ignorance and 'priests' are allowed to put the 'fear of god' (and anything else that they fancy?) into tender young children before they are able to understand anything for themselves!
I somehow cannot believe that either 'free thinkers' or 'free speakers' would be very welcome in that sort of environment.
As for giving to 'the Church' (equivalent to your half crown, or whatever) that's a separate thing and mainly intended for the upkeep of places of worship and to compensate officials for them not having the opportunity to work in the world for their living. It's not really an act of charity, nor yet baksheesh.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Are we for one moment to believe that a vicar in your local parish, any different.

Is it not still the case, that the Church of England is still the biggest land owner in the U.K.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

It seems to me that most Church of England vicars (also part of a separate priesthood, in a similar vein to the Catholics) are mostly female now, so yes, they probably are a bit different to their Roman counterparts.

As for the owning land part; I've really no idea whatsoever! But what has that to do with 'the price of fish', when the thread is about tipping and baksheesh.

I've been quoting Christian similarities etc. in order to show what is perhaps, otherwise, a subtle difference between the terms we are discussing. You have likened the giving of baksheesh to what is put in the offering plates in churches (whether Christian or just so-called) and I have been endeavouring to illustrate the differences between the driving forces behind the types of giving in question, which necessarily mean that they are, in fact, entirely different! Maybe I'm not doing it very well, but that isn't a reason to try and argue about Catholics and Anglo-Catholics!
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I vowed I would only go to church 3 times in my life, I have been twice!!

Unforunatly from a very young age I realised that religion brought about too much uphevel, so I backed away from it. I believe you can be a good practicing Christian or whatever without flaunting it. Plus the fact faith is a personal thing to the believer or non believer.