Re: Famagusta

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

In a thread about the subject of Cyprus came up and the Horus mentioned the seaside town of Famagusta. This was once a rising star in hot tourist spots on the island of Cyprus, but that swiftly changed in the 1970's

A while back I read the novel The Sunrise, by Victoria Hislop. This was set in Famagusta and describes well the tensions and problems of that period. The author, no stranger to Cyprus, had done her homework well and her characters and scenes were believable and helped portray a period of history, wrapped up novel, well. For those like myself who have no wish to read historical text books, but like to learn something factual from a novel, The Sunrise does not disappoint.

The Sunrise
In the summer of 1972, Famagusta in Cyprus is the most desirable resort in the Mediterranean, a city bathed in the glow of good fortune. An ambitious couple are about to open the island’s most spectacular hotel, where Greek and Turkish Cypriots work in harmony. Two neighbouring families, the Georgious and the Özkans, are among many who moved to Famagusta to escape the years of unrest and ethnic violence elsewhere on the island. But beneath the city’s façade of glamour and success, tension is building.

When a Greek coup plunges the island into chaos, Cyprus faces a disastrous conflict. Turkey invades to protect the Turkish Cypriot minority, and Famagusta is shelled. Forty thousand people seize their most precious possessions and flee from the advancing soldiers. In the deserted city, just two families remain. This is their story.

The Sunrise published 25 September 2014.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Like the sound of that Hepzibah. Thank you.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Re: Famagusta

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Carrie, if you've not read any Victoria Hislop she's worth a read. I think her first book was The Island. That was another good read set on and around the Greek Leper Colony of Spinalonga. I found it moving and informative - again, history in a novel.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The snippet from your book just about sums up the actual events Hepzi.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm always on the lookout for a good read! Thanks, Hepzi! :up
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Re Victoria Hislop - an excellent writer, who does her research, married to Ian Hislop. "The Island", mentioned by Hepzibah was her first novel, followed by "The Return" about the Spanish civil war, which I really enjoyed as previously I'd known little about it. Her third novel was the "The Thread", based on the exchange of Greek and Turkish populations- I defy you not to have a tear in your eye at the end!

I have all her novels in eform - Carrie, if you bring your Kindle when you come next time, I'll load them for you!