A good read

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

A good read

Post by carrie »

I love to read but just finished a book by Jodi Picoult titled Handle with Care, brilliant I just couldn't put it down, one of those books you want to continue reading but in another way you don't because you don't want it to end. First book of hers I have read will certainly look out for more.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: A good read

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:I love to read but just finished a book by Jodi Picoult titled Handle with Care, brilliant I just couldn't put it down, one of those books you want to continue reading but in another way you don't because you don't want it to end. First book of hers I have read will certainly look out for more.
On this occasion it is acceptable to 'hint' as too what it is about. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

OK it's about a very happy family that has two little girl's one with brittle bone disease, they find out that there may be a case for sueing for "wrongful birth" the mothers decision to do so tears the family and friends apart.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Wrongful birth? Never heard that term before. However, its a term that I could associate towards a few people that I know. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

She's a good author Carrie and I've read a lot of her books.
Personal favourite was "Salem Falls."
She also wrote "My Sisters Keeper"and it was made into a film.Totally heartbreaking..but good viewing for a Saturday nite with glass of wine in hand!
I intersperse her novels with a good old "Terry Pratchett."She's heavy going at times and I need the somewhat more comic relief!
Nevertheless..a good choice!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've just finished a Jodi Picoult too - Lone Wolf. Another page turner.

I find she writes moral dilemma tales very well, although as an English person I have to get beyond some of purely American things - differences in law and health systems etc.

I read My Sisters Keeper before I saw the film, thankfully. The book made me very angry, and although the film disturbed the some of the same issues I really don't think it did such a well written book justice (but then that is so often the case when a book is turned into a film).

Lone Wolf does deal with a moral dilemma but it also deals with secrets and lies and how families can be torn apart and/or brought together over issues that have to faced. It is written, on the whole, in short sharp chapters which each take on the voice of one of the characters. I'd recommend this as good page turner that makes you think about some of life's drama's and wonder how you'd deal with things if in the same situation.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've read several of her books and enjoy them, but light reading they aren't. She researches her subjects extremely well and plays Devil's advocate with ease. I know when I pick one up to be prepared for an emotional roller-coaster of a read, so my mood needs to match. Her books leave a lasting impression, that's for sure!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't read any of her books BUT, after reading the reviews here I'm going to have to start picking up some of her works.

I've also just looked her up and her books are all on Kindle too. :)

I've checked out our library ebooks to see if they have available copies and I've been able to check out "Picture Perfect" and have a hold on "Harvesting the Heart". The only other Jodi Picoult in the library is "The Pact." If I like "Picture Perfect" and "Harvesting" I'll put 'The Pact' on hold.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

FYI - on Amazon for Kindle - they are offering FREE a Jodi Picoult novella entitled "Larger Than Life."

Not too sure how many on here have Kindles but if you check the FREE ebooks this one is listed there now under the Top 100 Best Sellers.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:FYI - on Amazon for Kindle - they are offering FREE a Jodi Picoult novella entitled "Larger Than Life."

Not too sure how many on here have Kindles but if you check the FREE ebooks this one is listed there now under the Top 100 Best Sellers.
Amazon will provide a free Kindle reader for Windows, Mac, Android and probably a few other systems, so no need to have a physical Kindle. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771