An experience with April Ashley....

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

An experience with April Ashley....

Post by Who2 »

A very talented and clever Glaswegian friend posted this on FB, I thought I would share it with you, as I was there, he is writing a book, a vignette of what is to follow, oh and it is true, well it made me laugh anyway.
Ps: try to read it in a strong Glaswegian accent it helps.
John McManus.
I met April Ashley at the TARDIS about 13 years ago, and I committed the worse faux pas ever. She turned up in a vintage Rolls Royce, with the most archetypal weird entourage, that even the cheesiest of hollywood casting director would struggle with. For example let’s take two of them, first guy to walk in was a Chinese guy with long black hair, middle parting, round blue tinted glasses and a goatee beard, next was a white guy, bald, except for that long pony tail coming out like a horses mane from the top of his heid, wae a huge pair of they plug-earings, stripped to the waist, why would you want a massive hole in your earlobe, could never figure that. But you get the picture, and then in came April. She wasn’t what I imagined, but as I only had seen model photographs from thirty/forty years ago, she first struck me as Dame Edna, don’t shoot the messenger, I don’t mean to sound cruel, but April was in her 70s, she was still tall, but her bouffant hairdo, was more Edna I have to say. I welcomed them in and directed them to their party with love and affection. Well they must have had another party to go to, or April was getting tired, as they stayed about 2 hours. There was about four of us at the door, maybe more, I remember George, Euan and Hazel when we saw April and her entourage head through the yard below, making their way towards the stairs, and as they come up I knew this was my chance. I had been dying to tell this brave woman how much I admired her for her fortitude and courage, in the face of such hatred and adversity, and as she approached me, I smiled and as I opened the door, and held it with my foot, I held out my right hand and with a dignified bow introduced myself, April shook my hand. Here was my opportunity, "April, it is a pleasure to meet you, I work with people who have suffered great injustices at the hands of the media, who were persecuted for seeking the truth, and like you in the face of such adversity, struggled to be themselves, it must have been so difficult", and I could feel myself welling up, and getting lost for words, and I could feel myself starting to ramble and as I stuttered looking for the words to voice my admiration for this remarkable individual all I could stutter was "IT MUST HAVE TAKEN A LOT OF BALLS". At that moment I knew I had made the first major faux pas of the 21st Century, April just spun on her heels and marched out the door, the way she pulled away from my grasp, I couldn’t have felt more contempt, if she had punched me in the face. Her entourage blue glasses and ponytail, and the rest of them growled and spat contempt, as they chased off after April. It didn’t help that my entourage George, Hazel, Euan and anyone else in the vicinity, thought I’d meant it, as they clutched their sides rolling about the floor in hysterics, and maybe for good reason cause I could bring out some caustic wit for someone up there own arse at parties in the TARDIS, I was known for it. But not this time, this was not what I had wanted to express, and once again the Glasgow accent might not have helped, as it’s not renowned for its softness, and so there was me running down Turnmill Street pleading at the top of my voice ‘it was a faux pas, it was a faux pas’. So with that April and her crew fled even faster in to the roller and shot away at speed, with my lot wetting themselves, and me perplexed standing in the middle of the road as the roller disappeared into the night. Oh well another McManus faux pas.

Britain's first transsexual April Ashley:

Just one of many magic encounters in The Tardis....be lucky.....:cool:
John McManus ? founder of The Miscarriages of Justice Organisation and a top door-man.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.