Kindle

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Kindle

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Choc - I've had a Kindle for years now and love 'em. I remember when I first started putting books onto my Kindle I also couldn't find 'em.

Solution is to turn your WIFI ON and then SYNC your Kindle. All the books will just POP out on it as they're downloaded :)

Hope this helps - Kindles are TERRIFIC!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

LLL everything in sync, a lot of books I download seem to have the Winrar system and I do not know how to use that and extract this and that, so I am going to leave it until I meet up with someone with a Kindle Touch, in the meantime I will just have to buy books. Touch this Touch that, format this format that, change this change that, Oh my God!!! which is best bog yourself down or turn a page, I know which is easiest for me. Place on lap, turn to chapter 1 and start reading..
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Cyprus100 wrote:Why bother using the online-convert website then if you still have to go through Calibre?

Calibre will convert any format and if you tell it you have a Kindle it will remember the set up and automatically convert your files to .mobi (for Kindle) every time.
While Calibre will load books in pdf to the Kindle, you are unable to alter the font size which is far too small for me to read. I push all my books through Calibre for management reasons - with a library of 6000 I need a retrieval system!! - and because if friends pop round for ebooks I can just plug their Kindle in and they can browse and download instantly.
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:LLL everything in sync, a lot of books I download seem to have the Winrar system
win rar is just a system to reduce the file size - the forerunner was Winzip

your operating system should "unrar" the files and if not the go onto the internet to get the "winrar" programme
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Strange that books are in a RAR file - most of the ones I've downloaded are only a couple of megabytes or so, and download very quickly.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

I've been contemplating a Kindle for some time (it takes me ages to decide on a new piece of technology!). The adverts imply – nay, even state – that it's all so simple even I could manage it. Now I read all the complications here! :o

Then the thought occurs to me ... is this all about piracy rather than doing the decent thing?
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

LivinginLuxor wrote:Strange that books are in a RAR file - most of the ones I've downloaded are only a couple of megabytes or so, and download very quickly.
probably combined series of books for an author
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

TonyC wrote:I've been contemplating a Kindle for some time (it takes me ages to decide on a new piece of technology!). The adverts imply – nay, even state – that it's all so simple even I could manage it. Now I read all the complications here! :o

Then the thought occurs to me ... is this all about piracy rather than doing the decent thing?
Correct TonyC

You can get plenty of free ones on Amazon but they may not always be the books you would necessary want to read such as a good murder mystery rather than Jane Eyre or some other such stuff you did at school.

But if you want to buy the latest novel via your Kindle it's very simple. Browse the store on your Kindle (via WiFi or 3G), choose your book, hit the one click button (register your credit/debit card first for this option) and by the time the sale is processed you will see it arrive on your Kindle.

Or, you can complete your purchase on Amazon via your pc. Turn on your Kindle, switch to WiFi and watch it come through.

But if you want a couple of thousand free books of all kinds then you can get them via the torrent sites. They may not all be in the mobi format necessary for Kindle but the software Calibre will convert any kind of eBook file type to the right version for Kindle.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've been trying to set up a Kindle account on my iPad and so far I've downloaded and installed the app but for some reason Amazon is refusing to let me register the device. Any help or advice anyone can give me will be most gratefully recieved! :br
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

I found this thread, not sure if it will help you as I don't know where you are in the world. I'm assuming Luxor but hey, you never know!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... gistration

Edit (added this) after a further peep at the above link:
Oops! If you are in Egypt, it doesn't look like you can register a Kindle as being there - it's not in the "list" of countries provided by Amazon for people outside of USA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200420790
Last edited by Cyprus100 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michele,
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I've been thinking about buying one whist here, but Na! it's another gimmick just like all the other gimmicks and I think that a library of kindles would look really ****...:cool:
'more important is considering a replacement macbook @ £999..la whaala...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Doctor, simply buy a good spec laptop for about 500 Quid, ( it will come with Windoze, but hey ! )
install THIS version of Ubuntu ( Free download ) and save 499 !

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2002428

Can YOU spot the difference ??
Where do you think the MAC O/S comes from. ? ;)
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks for that, Cyprus. No, I'm in the UK. I'm so sorry but I also made a mistake in my question! :( I've registered successfully but It keeps telling me my e-mail address and/or password is incorrect! I know it isn't because I use the same account etc. on my desktop. Very odd! Never mind! I'll have to take a trip to my local Apple Store and bombard them with questions! :lol:
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Some people have got a thing about fraud, piracy etc and still think Egypt is great!!! everything here works like this, if it did not there would be nothing.... just get over it
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Some people have got a thing about fraud, piracy etc and still think Egypt is great!!! everything here works like this, if it did not there would be nothing.... just get over it
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

If you live in Egypt, you have to register with Amazon.com, not Amazon.co.uk. Or if you have registered it in the UK, I believe it will still work with .co.uk. Maybe BBLux can help out here?

I'd like to know how Amazon decides on which books to Kindlerise, as I've been looking for A Glastonbury Romance, and it doesn't have it, and neither do the free sites or the pirates!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

A book would be "Kindlerised" if Amazon reaches a deal with the publisher/author/copyright holder, surely? I don't think Amazon would get away with pirating them! There are many books I'd like if I had a Kindle, but they don't appear in the lists yet

I have an Amazon UK account, although in the past when checking I've had notices pop up that content is "not available" in Egypt – they can see where my computer is operating! That makes me think the 3G model – you can download anywhere without a computer – would be best here. I should still be able to buy through my UK account. That's the way I download music from iTunes.

By the way...
Feeble reasoning ... so it's Egypt that forces people into piracy?
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Is it better to download Kindle books to a PC and then transfer them to an iPad?
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Some people have got a thing about fraud, piracy etc and still think Egypt is great!!! everything here works like this, if it did not there would be nothing.... just get over it
Same here too!
Michele,
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Is it better to download Kindle books to a PC and then transfer them to an iPad?
You can download the free Kindle app to your iPad, ebooks bought from Amazon will appear through "whispernet" exactly the same as they do on the Kindle. Otherwise set up Booklist on itunes on your PC; this allows you to transfer books from your PC hard drive to itunes, and then from itunes to your iPad. Simples! 8)