Kindle

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Kindle

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

My God, you need a degree to get one of the Kindle Touch variations to work!! They are so complicated and when delivered they do not have a users guide, only an on screen guide. So, you start on the onscreen guide and do one step at a time, then you initiate the step and loose your place on the screen. Eventually I gave up, and its in the bedside draw waiting for someone to tell me what to do.

I now read my books on iPad its less complicated and easier...

Has anyone had the same problems with Kindle? if so where am I going wrong? I am so used to getting something having the users guide by my side and going though it step by step, its so easy!! Just to let you know i have registered it, and amazon have all my details, its just there is supposed to be a one touch download somewhere but where goodness knows and half the books especially the latest titles are not available in Egypt, but they may not have got past the censuring stage. If anyone has any experience with these things can you let me know please.

What makes it worse is that Amazon have no intentions of changing to users guides. So for me its thank goodness for Apple...

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Kindle

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Here you go Choc'

a 34 page guide to the Kindle Touch...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/KindleTouch/Ki ... _Guide.pdf

Save or open the file, the guide is fairly comprehensive.. Hope this helps :up

The absolute basic 1 page guide is here,
https://s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle_Paperwh ... _Guide.pdf

But I reckon you have that part figured out :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

I find Kindles really intuitive. I have had one of the earlier Kindle keyboard 3G models for about 2 years. The other day someone with a Kindle Touch asked me to help them get it connected to WiFi. No problem, it was working in a minute or so including figuring out the touch interface.

Personally however, I much prefer the Keyboard model with the side buttons for moving back and forward. Just worked better with the natural way of holding it.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I was chatting to my independent book seller yesterday saying 'they 'Kindles just don't build a good looking library do they ? clerkenwell being of course the centre for bookbinding and printing since they started bookbinding and printing.
This only stopped this 1O years past, just down the hill.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Thanks BM I had looked but could not find what you had sent me the link to CE...
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Choccy', The link should open a prompt box in your web browser to Open or Save a document..
Maybe you have a browser that automatically saves the document in the "downloads" directory ( folder ) ??

Try this: It's one step back from the direct link I posted..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... =200487900

On the left of the page, the various kindles are listed.

Yours is the 4th one down, next to the picture, there is a text link that says "Kindle Touch User's Guide (PDF)"

Click on that and the PDF document will open up if you select the option to open it.

If not, give me a shout and I will convert it to plain text and e-mail it to you.. :cg
Last edited by Bullet Magnet on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I really like my Kindle Touch - I found it easy to use without the user guide, and although it has WiFi, I prefer to download books to my PC and then copy them to the kindle through the lead provided.

I wouldn't use an IPad to read here as the light is so bright, the screen is almost unreadable during daylight hours, and it doesn't have the scalable type that I need to read without glasses.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

LivinginLuxor wrote:I really like my Kindle Touch - I found it easy to use without the user guide, and although it has WiFi, I prefer to download books to my PC and then copy them to the kindle through the lead provided.
and that way they are free too
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

L in L how do you do that, put 40 books on the Touch Kindle and non came out, it showed they were on the Kindle but they could not be read. That's why I am trying to get to grips with mine. Regarding the IPad I find it easier to use and download, I have no difficulty in reading the screen, but that s due to the IPad filter over the screen maybe.
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:L in L how do you do that, put 40 books on the Touch Kindle and non came out, it showed they were on the Kindle but they could not be read. That's why I am trying to get to grips with mine. Regarding the IPad I find it easier to use and download, I have no difficulty in reading the screen, but that s due to the IPad filter over the screen maybe.
you need to put them in the right place and have the right format of file
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Files should be in .mobi format.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

When you plug your Kindle into your PC or laptop, via the supplied USB lead which also charges the battery, it becomes just another disk drive on your computer. Anything you have downloaded to PC, (in MOBI format as Barry said) you copy, and paste to the Kindle's documents folder. Although 99.99% of my books were free, courtesy of Pirate Bay, it works just as well for paid-for content from Amazon! (Yes, I did buy one book!)
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:L in L how do you do that, put 40 books on the Touch Kindle and non came out, it showed they were on the Kindle but they could not be read. That's why I am trying to get to grips with mine. Regarding the IPad I find it easier to use and download, I have no difficulty in reading the screen, but that s due to the IPad filter over the screen maybe.
Hi CE, try downloading free software called "Calibre". This is a book management system, very easy to use, that transfers books from your hard disc to your Kindle, converting them to mobi - the Kindle format - if necessary. If you want step by step instructions pm me. Once you get the hang of it it's easy - if I can do it, anyone can.

I have about 6,000 ebooks, all selected not just downloaded from ebay! I'm willing to share! 8)
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

I also have the online user guide saved on my pc so if I want to do something on my Kindle I'm not too familiar with I can read the guide on the pc and work on my Kindle at the same time.

I have around 2000 books which I downloaded from various sharing sites and I also use Calibre for books that need converting.

I have the Kindle 3 (with the keyboard) not the on screen keyboard and for mine, I have to move my books into a folder named Documents for them to be visible on my device.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

BBLUX wrote:Files should be in .mobi format.
pdf files work too
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Yes they are but do not work as well. Usually too small and cannot be zoomed in size...unless you have found a way.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

BBLUX wrote:Yes they are but do not work as well. Usually too small and cannot be zoomed in size...unless you have found a way.
Easy peasy!! Go to www.online-convert.com, select books and choose the format you want, ie mobi for a Kindle. Select the book - you'll be taken automatically to the documents file on your hard-drive - and it will be reformatted for you. I then run the book through Calibre and onto my Kindle, where you can choose any size print you want. I also reformat books into epub to load them onto my ipad.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

Why bother using the online-convert website then if you still have to go through Calibre?

Calibre will convert any format and if you tell it you have a Kindle it will remember the set up and automatically convert your files to .mobi (for Kindle) every time.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I can't get to grips with Calibre but George from Regal Lounge is a whiz, thank you George and I hope you don't get too many requests for help.
gd47

Post by gd47 »

Thanks for those kind words, Carrie!

My preference is my 7" Novo 7 Fire Android tablet. Has a display which is 1280x800 resolution (IPS display...same as Nexus) using Moon+reader Pro (only $4.99 from Google Playstore) as my EReader. It supports txt, html, epub, pdf, mobi, umd, fb2, chm, cbr, cbz, rar, zip or OPDS file formats.

It also has numerous other options:
Full visual options: line space, font scale, bold, italic, shadow, alpha colors, fading edge etc.
10+ themes embedded, includes Day & Night mode switcher.
Various types of paging: touch screen, volume keys or even camera, search or back keys.
24 customized operations (screen click, swipe gesture, hardware keys), apply to 15 customized events: search, bookmark, themes, navigation, font size and more.
5 auto-scroll modes: rolling blind mode; by pixel, by line or by page. Real-time speed control.
Adjust the brightness by sliding your finger along the left edge of the screen, gesture commands supported.
Intelligent paragraph; indent paragraph; trim unwanted blank spaces and lines options.
“Keep your eyes health” options for long-time reading.
Real page turning effect with customized speed/color/transparent; 5 page flip animations;
My Bookshelf design: Favorites, Downloads, Authors, Tags; self bookcover, search, import supported.
Justified text alignment, hyphenation mode supported.
Turn off softkey backlight in night mode option.
Backup/Restore options to cloud via DropBox, sync reading positions, bookmarks, highlights and notes between phones and tablets.
Highlight, Annotation, Dictionary (Offline or Online, support Google, ColorDict, Fora, etc.), Translation, Share functions all in moon+ ebook reader.
Reading statistics function, know your reading time and reading speed for each book.
Localized in 40 languages.

Additional benefits in pro version:
Ad-free
Shake the phone to speak (TTS engine support)
PDF support, fast & speech compatible
More beautiful backgrounds, fonts and reader themes
Multi-point touch support
Option for password protection at startup
Headset & Bluetooth keys control
Book to home screen shortcut
Customize reader bar function
Annotations, highlights & bookmarks share support
Reading statistics function
Customer email support

All in all, an excellent program.
A lifetime sufferer of Zymocenosilicaphobia