The Stuff of Thought

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zaydine
The Stuff of Thought

Post by Zaydine »

This is one to get the brain cells churning over. The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker. He's a professor of psychology at Harvard Uni.

The book is a bit hard going for the first couple of chapters but after that is extremely amusing as well as informative, explaining amongst other things: how an individual's language affects their thinking and therefore the outcomes eg that science is limited because English is the 'Lingua Franca' of all scientific research and this skews how scientists look at the world, time space, causality etc., therefore unconsiously closing off areas of investigation

The chapter on 'Games People Play' is enlightening and the chapter about why people who are multi-lingual only swear in their first language when under duress (and exactly why swearing is carnal) makes this worth buying the book.

While reading it I felt compelled to relay sections to others in my company because the information is enthralling and therefore I definititely recommend it to those who like to question belief, generally accepted understanding and fundamental 'truths'.

Have loving acceptance of all that is.......
drwho

Post by drwho »

Wiki: Today all of the world's major scientific journals are published in English, which is definitive evidence that English is the lingua franca of science and technology.
Much to the chagrin of ze french.
But to my mind the Arab world tends to use animal insults rather than carnal....8)