Exciting and fab news ! Vikram Seth to write sequel to...

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

New Gal

Exciting and fab news ! Vikram Seth to write sequel to...

Post by New Gal »

...'A Suitable Boy',

I couldn't get the whole thing in the subject box, sorry!

But how fab is this?! If you haven't read it, I recommend it wholeheartedly, one of my fave books, bit of an epic, heres a synopsis and after that, I will attach details of the sequel:

SYNOPSIS:

A Suitable Boy followed a young girl's search for a husband set against the political backdrop of the newly-independent India of the 1950s. The 1,350 page original sold more than a million copies.

Details on the sequel:

Seth said the follow-up, A Suitable Girl, would continue the story in the present, not "in 1952 where I left it".

In A Suitable Boy, central character Lata's mother looked for a bridegroom for her.

Seth said that, in his "jump sequel", Lata would be an old woman searching for a wife for her grandson "whether he is thinking about it or not".

"That allows me in a sense to bring a whole lot of post-independence history to bear on the novel," he added.

"It allows me to live in the present.

"I'm doing something quite different to keep myself interested rather than just writing another historical book that I've written before."

He said he hoped it could be "read by a person who hasn't read the other book as well as by people who have".

A Suitable Boy took Seth, now 57, eight years to write.

He has reportedly been paid a seven-figure sum for the sequel, but refused to comment on the speculation.

"Money isn't the motivation," he said. "I certainly fight hard for it because I want to make a living and I don't have patrons... but I spend most of my time writing poetry, for example, and there is nothing less remunerative."

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I met Vikram Seth a couple of years ago and he was charming. My book group had read his book An Equal Music and soon after saw that he was appearing in Wilton, nr.Salisbury as part of an evening of music and poetry that he had written for their annual festival. I understood there were to more evenings like this but alas have never seen any advertised.
I promised myself I would some more of his work and although I do own a book of his poetry it has been on long term loan to a friend who perhaps has a greater appreciation of that art than I have. [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

His work is amazing, takes you beyond the usual realms if imagination. I’ve read ‘A Suitable Boy’ many many times even though it’s a huge book to get through but you really feel as though you are in India, living through the events as the characters are doing.

Wasn’t as keen on ‘An Equal Music’ but it is a good read :D
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.