Womb transplants.

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Womb transplants.

Post by Scottishtourist » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Been watching the news today and medical world is both excited and enthusiastic by the idea of "womb transplants."

So far though,they have not been referring to a "living"donation.
Like any other mainstream transplant,they seem to be looking for the donations to come from "brain-dead"doners.

It's kinda got me thinking.
Could an old womb,no longer in use and past it's sell-by date as far as "baby-growing"was concerned be re-attached to healthy ovaries and fallopian tubes and stimulated to "work"again?(menopausal women!)
If so..would you be willing to donate yours?
An organ you no longer have any more use for?

I realise there's always a risk associated with surgery,anaesthesia,etc.

But,this is an area where I think there is a clear difference between egg or sperm donation.Any resulting pregnancy wouldn't carry the doner's DNA..so maybe ethically it would appeal to some women.

Any views or opinions?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Womb transplants.

Post by carrie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:50 pm

waste of money and resources. :stp

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:15 pm

Daresay it's a question of personal choice Carrie.

Myself..I'd rather help the living,give them a chance to pro-create,etc.

That's very reason I don't agree with funding for cat-scans.MRI scans,etc being "wasted"on Egyptian mummies!

To me..that most definitely is a waste of money and resources.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Would agree with you there ST if it were true, the scanning of mummies etc. is paid for not done for free, and I would rather spend NHS money on free hearing aids, which have been withdrawn from the partially deaf, palliative care drugs of which there are a shortage, I could go on. A woman who is unable to conceive because of a lack of a womb would not be one of my priorities in a badly stretched health service. You complain in another post that there is a shortage of nurses, wouldn't the money be best spent on that.

Jayway

Post by Jayway » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:37 am

RIDICULOUS waste of time and money. If a couple cant have children I would advise them to get over their selfish arrogance for "their own seed" and adopt. There would be no fertility clinic crap in my world- there is a reason why certain people cant breed.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:05 am

I think that it stated that the first successful transplant was carried out in Switzerland, the womb being donated by a friend of the recipient. Whatever your thoughts, I think it is most women's biological inner need to have a child, so if it gives those unfortunate ones the chance to have one, then why not. Adoption is a grand humanitarian decision to take, but fraught with problems, and trust me, I've been there and wished that I hadn't bothered.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:57 am

Why did the woman need a womb transplant? Did she lose hers? I mean did it fall out one day as she walked along? And then did she decide that since she lost her womb she just had to have somebody else's womb so she could use it to procreate and produce a child? Wonder if she thought about giving it back after she used it? And I wonder why she never considered the possibility of obtaining a child any other way than producing it herself?

Doubt I'd want here for a mother........UGH.

More questions than answers..........wonder where Jewel would stand on this one? I might actually side with her on this one! ;)

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:13 am

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Why did the woman need a womb transplant? Did she lose hers? I mean did it fall out one day as she walked along? And then did she decide that since she lost her womb she just had to have somebody else's womb so she could use it to procreate and produce a child? Wonder if she thought about giving it back after she used it? And I wonder why she never considered the possibility of obtaining a child any other way than producing it herself?

Doubt I'd want here for a mother........UGH.

More questions than answers..........wonder where Jewel would stand on this one? I might actually side with her on this one! ;)
Without digging into the case I'm guessing she's one of those rare cases....born without a womb. And I can understand the importance many women attach to having a child of their own...and carrying it , as opposed to surrogacy.

However, I think it's an operation which the woman needs to fund privately and I'm a little puzzled that time and money is being spent in developing this esoteric field.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:02 pm

I hope all this type of research is being funded privately and isn't within the cash coffers of public money as IMO it is a waste unless the Researchers are aware of other side benefits than procreation.

IF transplanting a womb can keep necessary hormones going in a woman which makes life so much better than living on artificial ones then I can see and could justify the research. Wanting to produce a child is paramount in some women but if you can't you can't and I see being born without a womb such a teeny tiny niche that I'd hope not lots of time & money is being spent on it.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Having no plans to use mine, I would cheerfully donate it to someone who could make good use of it.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:11 pm

@ Robbo - actually I have no plans to use mine either......wonder what a good used womb fetches on the open market? Wonder if they're like a used car and start to depreciate soon as it is (ahem) taken off the lot? OR do they actually get better once they're broken in?

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:27 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@ Robbo - actually I have no plans to use mine either......wonder what a good used womb fetches on the open market? Wonder if they're like a used car and start to depreciate soon as it is (ahem) taken off the lot? OR do they actually get better once they're broken in?
You could try advertising it on eBay.

Has it been regularly serviced?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:54 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@ Robbo - actually I have no plans to use mine either......wonder what a good used womb fetches on the open market? Wonder if they're like a used car and start to depreciate soon as it is (ahem) taken off the lot? OR do they actually get better once they're broken in?
Wonder whether the price varies depending on whether the womb is empty or pregnant?

:vs

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:52 am

I once stayed in a nice womb with a view. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:11 am

Dusak wrote:I once stayed in a nice womb with a view. :up
Were you a test tube baby then?

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:41 am

Hope Dusak wasn't staying in a womb with a view when Auntie Flo was visiting - she sort of puts her own colour on everything... :ks

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:59 am

:tk I still wonder to this day what I did wrong, suddenly being forcefully evicted by the owner after a few months.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:25 am

Well if you were getting up close and personal with Aunty Flo am sure she left her mark........