We Must Put an End to Street Harassment

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: We Must Put an End to Street Harassment

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:42 am

@ Dsaxelby - Exactly succinctly true.

Sexual harassment is something women worldwide unfortunately have to deal with daily and combating it can be daunting even in first world countries.

Years ago a woman in an office I worked in committed suicide and while I don't know any specifics she left a note detailing how she'd been sexually harassed and abused by a Boss. In response to this all offices had to take sexual harassment training (which is now mandated and mandatory). One of the guidelines that came out was if ANY worker felt at all sexually harassed they were to report it immediately to HR rep and/or to another senior worker in the office (who presumably would report it up the line). It was also the responsibility of older senior workers to watch for signs that younger co-workers might be being harassed or targeted and to question and stick your nose in to determine what might be going on and then report it. I can definitely say that ANY report WOULD be BELIEVED and an investigation commenced. Unfortunately women in Egypt are behind the Eight ball in that they could make any report verbally, in writing with the entire office corroborating the story yet the Male Abuser would be believed.

IMO it will take a very pointed and concerted political action response by ALL Egyptian women to change the status quo there.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:37 pm

How many times do I have to repeat that men are also sexually harassed. This is not a gender problem.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Brian Yare wrote:How many times do I have to repeat that men are also sexually harassed. This is not a gender problem.
True Brian but I have yet to speak with male colleagues, friends that have endured to the extent that females have, or been in the vulnerable position of their female colleagues. Personally practically every job I have ever had it has arisen and no I do not believe I am a female goddess! I think the generation you were born into has a lot to do with it. Back in the 80's it was the norm, old guys hitting on young women, hence the amount of legal cases today, society has changed, the normal parameters have changed also. What is socially acceptable has changed, no longer medallion guy in leather trousers hitting on you, now it is your daughters friends ..... hey ho
It is what it is.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:57 am

Brian Yare wrote:How many times do I have to repeat that men are also sexually harassed. This is not a gender problem.
Yes, but the greatest number of these are conducted within the prison walls by their own sort, and a lot of those types are probably in there in the first place for violence and/or related assaults on females, so they are receiving a little back of what they practiced. I don't see a problem in this.

The famous prison reformist of the sixties, Bendover Johnston attempted to clean up these establishments by deliberately braking the law to get himself incarcerated to get an inside view, but was brought to his knees and forced to face the truth, there are certain sectors of society that you just can not change.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:36 pm

A female colleague once patted my behind, this was totally out of character and the next day she apologised profusely and said she had no idea whatsoever why she had done this.

It was a truly bizarre incident - I had worked with this woman for the best part of ten years and worked with her for more than ten years after without prior or further incident.

It didn't bother me at all and I accepted her apology and that was that.

I wonder what would have happened if our roles had been reversed?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:09 pm

You would of spent the next ten years inside then been placed on the sex offenders register. Which for you, would of felt like a bum deal no doubt.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.