MRSA - Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

MRSA - Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus

Post by Who2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:49 am

The highest number of recorded deaths due to MRSA was in 2007 a total of 230 dropping to 48 in 2012.
ref: General Registers Office for Scotland.

The rise in MRSA in Scotland is due to the lack of proper cleaning and to the cost effective employment of contract cleaning companies.

Advice to cleaners mainly ST.
Cleaning Keyboards.
Many items such as computer keyboards or handheld electronic devices may be difficult to clean or disinfect or they could be damaged if they became wet. If these items are touched by unauthorised cleaners during the course of the night. a cleanable cover/skin could be used on the item to allow for cleaning while protecting the item.

So ST as you wont be reading this until you come on night shift later, It could well be your misappropriation (illegal use) of a ward computer that causes MRSA.
So my advice to you is Stop playing on real Nurses valuable computers, go and sanitize the keyboard and your hands, pick up your bucket and mop and return to what you should be doing trying to eradicate MRSA. And stop misusing tax payers money... :cool:
"I don't know what this World's coming to.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: MRSA - Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus

Post by Dusak » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:13 am

Taking the topic of MRSA a little further, and a terrible thing it is in many UK hospitals, my farther inadvertently ingested a full Steradent tablet in his last months of life, his mind nearly gone. We rushed him to hospital, Whiston, where he was cared for and started to make a slow recovery. One day on a visit his bed had another patient in it and upon inquiring what had happened to him, us fearing the worse as he was suffering from multi organ failure, we were casually told that he had been placed in isolation as he had contracted this bug. It was intimated that we could be responsible because of our low standards of cleanliness while taking care of him at home. To say we were insulted would of been an understatement. I was quick to point out that perhaps the cause was the fact that on two occasions over the last week that I had visited my father only to find him sat in a bed chair saturated in his own urine and had to prise the staff out of their comfy hole to see to him. To visit him we had to wear a mask and gloves which we could see was upsetting for him. In this instance my father received lack of care, inconsideration and a pushed aside attitude. Not all nursing staff are entitled to automatic praise.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Re: MRSA - Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus

Post by Mad Dilys » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:34 am

I am a great handwasher (comes from being a gardener that is allergic to Tetanus injections so have no immunity).

I found the attitude to hygiene at Dar al Fouad Hospital in Cairo very reassuring. Posters in different languages stressing the need for cleanliness were prominent in each waiting area by hand cleaning facilities. Any visitor, as well as patient who showed signs of a cold - runny nose and cough for example would be issued with a mask which they were required to wear while on hospital premises.

Both at the above hospital and at the Magrabi Eye Hospital in Cairo the standard of cleanliness was a lesson for the NHS

On my visits to a Hospital in Kent - locally known as Vale of Death Hospital - which has a high incidence of MRSA the attitude was very different. In the overcrowded Emergency reception for example there was no provision made for handwashing except in the toilet, where there was no soap or towels.

In the Welsh Orthopaedic centre which I visited recently, the standards were much higher, except again only hand washing facilities in the toilet.

It's so sad that a third world country can show the rest of the world how it should be done.

Having said that ................. because of the lack of resources the two Egyptian hospitals mentioned are rare shining lights in the country's very basic general hospitals. None the less they are still there, consultants fees are about one tenth or less of UK doctors fees but still out of the reach of most patients.

Perhaps if they imposed the same amount of tax on cigarettes in Egypt as there is in the UK and the money went directly to the Egyptian Health Service there might be an improvement in general patient care?
Smile! It confuses people