Think your life is hard as a woman?

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Think your life is hard as a woman?

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri May 30, 2014 12:52 pm

Think your life is hard as a woman? Think again...the following is not my post but it's well worth sharing and taking note.

In the week Maya Angelou dies, a pregnant women is stoned to death by her family outside a crown court in Pakistan, as passersby silently look on, attributing it 'a family matter'.

Farzana Parveen, 25 and pregnant, simply chose her own husband, and is one of over 1000 women have been publicly stoned to death in Pakistan THIS YEAR alone in the name of 'honour'.

This same year, women in El Salvador are imprisoned by the state for miscarrying their babies. Terminations are illegal and women who "lose" their babies are told they should have taken more care, and are therefore murderers.

This year, China has announced their "left over women campaign" to shame educated women into marrying. Elective abortions of female foetuses has led to a shortage of women to mate with uneducated men. It's seen as women's fault for being too educated and too picky.

137 million young girls and women across the world have been subjected to female genital mutilation.

A uk women is threatened with rape and death for suggesting Jane Austin appears on a banknote.

And did you know that in the uk, you can still only put your father's name down on your marriage certificate?

I wonder how different Maya Angelou really found the world when she left it yesterday.

In 'I know why the cage bird sings', Maya writes about how books can be our armour against racism and bigotry. And yet we are closing our libraries and plunging the final sword into our dying arts.

Whether it's casual bigotry or vicious crimes against women and girls, FEMINISM, and the bringing together of voices to make our anger heard, are more vital than ever.

So birds, whether you feel caged or not. Let's get singing.

In memory of Maya Angelou, and all our sisters across the world, feel free to share.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Think your life is hard as a woman?

Post by Bullet Magnet » Fri May 30, 2014 1:17 pm

Conversely, you can cage a songbird, but you cannot make it sing...

But, I do know why the caged bird sings...

Feminism in my mind is just another form of separation, there are lessons though...
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri May 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:Conversely, you can cage a songbird, but you cannot make it sing...

But, I do know why the caged bird sings...

Feminism in my mind is just another form of separation, there are lessons though...
I do think feminism is an overused and abused word much of the time. It's certainly not a term I personally use lightly (I hope). Never the less, I have much to be grateful for thanks to women who have gone before me, standing strong and proud in the face of male domination, oppression, suppression and adversity, to make the lives of many women easier - or, if not exactly easier, to make us (women) seen and heard on an [almost] equal footing.
-Aldous Huxley

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Fri May 30, 2014 7:16 pm

On the BBC news tonight, two young girls of 14 and 16 were found hanging from a tree. Tests confirmed they had been gang raped. :td Women have been fighting for over a century to gain their rights but in the light of this, I think they still have a heck of a long way to go!

p.s. I should have said this occurred in India.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri May 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Ruby Slippers wrote:On the BBC news tonight, two young girls of 14 and 16 were found hanging from a tree. Tests confirmed they had been gang raped. :td Women have been fighting for over a century to gain their rights but in the light of this, I think they still have a heck of a long way to go!

What's the situation in Egypt RS?
Good and bad everywhere,I know.
But my best friends are a married couple,Egyptian..and I've heard tales from the wife that dispel my pre-conceived notions of an "equal"partnership!

HE thinks by Western way.No,he doesn't!He ain't got a clue,lol!

Lisak

Post by Lisak » Fri May 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Ruby Slippers wrote:On the BBC news tonight, two young girls of 14 and 16 were found hanging from a tree. Tests confirmed they had been gang raped. :td Women have been fighting for over a century to gain their rights but in the light of this, I think they still have a heck of a long way to go!

I also heard that two policemen were disciplined over this too. They were of the same caste system as the animals that did this to the girls; the girls were of a lower caste and as such the policemen would not deal with the case properly.
Our world is sooooo messed up!
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri May 30, 2014 11:24 pm

This really has been a bad news week for women around the world.

Meriam Yehya Ibrahim in Sudan sentenced to death for 'apostasy', and having to give birth in prison with leg chains on.
A 16 year old girl gang raped by up to 38 men - sorry I forget which country.

So many atrocity's against women - the scapegoats often of men's inadequacies and frustrations.

Edit - to add...I've now been able to check the news item on the 16 year old girl that was raped and it was in Malaysia.
Last edited by HEPZIBAH on Fri May 30, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri May 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Scottishtourist wrote: But my best friends are a married couple,Egyptian..and I've heard tales from the wife that dispel my pre-conceived notions of an "equal"partnership!

Hmm ... so not that different to many married couples in the UK and world in general - or so I've head!
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat May 31, 2014 11:37 am

Although I wholeheartedly agree with women being treated as human beings and not cattle, they too have to learn to change their ways in some respects. Taking the point of the poor woman that was stoned and beaten to death outside the high court. What do we see on the news footage? Hundreds of women waving/holding placards demanding an end to the ''honor'' killings. These should never be referred to as honor killings, as there has never been, nor will there be, honer in the murder of innocents.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:07 am

My mate wrote this on his FB Page.

The last few weeks have seen a few disasters, Malaysian plane missing, ferry sinking in Korea, 200+ mostly youngsters drowned. Over in Africa, unknown fate awaits 200+ young girls kidnapped in Nigeria by a bunch of lunatics. A recent mud slide in Afghanistan has killed hundreds,possibly thousands, a complete village buried. mayhem and murder almost everywhere on this planet,....... If you are not involved, just count your blessing's. Have a nice day.

Brian Parker
7 May
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:My mate wrote this on his FB Page.

The last few weeks have seen a few disasters, Malaysian plane missing, ferry sinking in Korea, 200+ mostly youngsters drowned. Over in Africa, unknown fate awaits 200+ young girls kidnapped in Nigeria by a bunch of lunatics. A recent mud slide in Afghanistan has killed hundreds,possibly thousands, a complete village buried. mayhem and murder almost everywhere on this planet,....... If you are not involved, just count your blessing's. Have a nice day.

Brian Parker
7 May
Wise man. Even without considering the wider world such as the examples given, it's all to easy to get bogged down in our daily lives and only see the negative. We do need to count our blessings more often as not only does it help us take stock of our own lives but it can help empower us to improve our own lives and those around us.
-Aldous Huxley

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:

What's the situation in Egypt RS?
Good and bad everywhere,I know.
But my best friends are a married couple,Egyptian..and I've heard tales from the wife that dispel my pre-conceived notions of an "equal"partnership!

I have no idea, Scottish Tourist, as I don't live there, but the homes I have been to in Egypt seem to be fine. Whether this is put on for our visit I don't know, but I don't get that impression. I have always been treated with the utmost respect too, but, again, whether that's because of my age or because I am always accompanied by my husband, I couldn't say.