Menopause.

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Menopause.

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Some discussion for the ladies (maybe the men as well.)

I display my age on forum.I'm 51 years young(old!)Some members don't display their age, but their posts and life experiences suggest to me that they are maybe in the same age group or older.
I was always very "average."I started having periods at 13(average age)..and 38 years later they have now stopped and sporadic "hot flushes"seem to have replaced them!
To rule out anything more sinister,I had blood tests done and my GP has confirmed that I'm now going through the menopause at the "average"age of 51.
No treatment is suggested,and I'm quite happy about that.HRT has now been proven to have risks and GPs are less willing to prescribe it.If however,life becomes unbearable,anti-depressants can be given.
I've been down that road before,following traumatic times in my life....and don't want to go there again.

So,I'll see it through,hopefully with the assistance of good diet,good hygiene and a few vitamin supplements!

On a positive note,I find it quite liberating.No more monthly misery,no more bloating,no more breast tenderness,no more oily skin and spots to contend with.
I'll even embrace the new false tooth as a "rite of passage"into this phase of my life.

For anyone who is going/gone through it(men as well...it's sometimes referred to as "andropause"apparantely)what are your experiences and are you willing to share them?
Were they positive?Did you see it as a "new"beginning?
Or was there an element of sadness(ladies especially)that the "fertile"and childbearing years were now gone.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Menopause.

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:10 pm

So it is not just the men who pause. 8)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Think of the savings you'll be making every month. Put the money you would normally spend on monthly products away for a year and then treat yourself and celebrate the freedom.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:58 pm

I was 53 years old, had less than half a dozen hot flushes and just stopped.

It was wonderful, the freedom, the feeling of well-being, more energy, calmer and more reasonable in my relationships.

I'd always had a fiery temper which just disappeared. All without HRT or any other drugs.

Some of us are lucky and I certainly was, Al Hamdulillah.
Smile! It confuses people

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:03 pm

[quote="HEPZIBAH"]Think of the savings you'll be making every month. Put the money you would normally spend on monthly products away for a year and then treat yourself and celebrate the freedom.[/quote.

That comment leads on to other opinion Hepzibah.
I was always of opinion that ST's should have been provided free on NHS.
Price of them is extortionate!All those bloody wings and "locking in"of natural bodily fluids!
We were conned!We believed the advertisements.We looked for comfort and confidence...and we paid the price for the products.
The thing is,that no woman has a choice about this.Every woman menstruates!
Contraception is free on NHS,but women can choose whether to have sex or not.
In early days of being married I once went to family planning clinic.At the time,being unsuitable for "pill"they gave me three months supply of condoms.
I expected a carrier bag full!I got 3 packs of Durex,my hubby laughed!
Would rather have had the STs,would have saved more!
Yep,three packs...only for weekends,and definitely never on a Sunday!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Paying for 'ST's' etc is one thing but I think they should be zero rated for tax. If not the 'luxury' ones then at least the more basic types.

Most women in earlier generations did not have to face the problem as regularly as modern women, apparently because they were either pregnant or lactating for most of their reproductive life. So perhaps making their own and washing them out wasn't quite such a chore it may seem.

Menstrual Cups is probably the most cost effective way to deal with the problem. There is a thread or two on that subject somewhere in here.
-Aldous Huxley

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Have to say I sailed through menopause without so much as a single hot flash, flush or cramp. The monthly period just tapered down, went through probably a year of having erratic periods and then everything stopped and I've never felt so wonderful. Had a few coworkers and friends who suffered endlessly for years with hot flashes, night sweats, super duper prolonged periods that equally the flow of the River Nile. Honestly can't say I experienced anything at all like that.

Can't say I want my tax dollars going to fund any of whatever product a woman wants to use. If you're a woman it is up to you to provide for yourself whatever and whichever you find suits yourself from a basic rag to a multi winged version to a super slide glide. Maybe men don't need these but then they have to shave every day (and I definitely wouldn't NOT want to have to do that) so I always figured my once a month chore equaled their daily chore of shaving.

@ST I have read that a diet high in soy helps with menopause and hot flashes. If memory serves Asian women do not suffer nearly as much as western women do and this study was indicating that their higher use of soy was a causative factor. True or false I'm not sure as I never read up on this topic to verify but adding soy to your diet might help.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:33 pm

For the women that sailed through menopause, did you have children? were your periods considered light?
It is what it is.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi DS.
It's been documented that childbirth "protects"a lot of women from the more horrific elements of ageing!
Our hormones have been "used"for the natural purposes for which they were intended.
Breast feeding has also been proven to have a beneficial effect in combatting breast cancer/tumours,etc,in later years.
I think we all go through natural progression,re periods,etc.
In my thirties,they were hellish.Maybe I was going through a "fertile"stage..with no intent of having any more babies.
The "forties"were a bit better..but there were other disadvantages..a heavy duty deodorant was needed frequently!
Well here's to the "fifties"
No more problems.Here's hoping all will be good!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 pm

I had a horrible time for about two years, the hot flushes and night time sweats, don't think I got a decent nights sleep during those two years. Did take HRT but found it didn't help much and my doctor..a male...wasn't very sympathetic. All over now thank goodness and no I didn't feel any regret that my child bearing years are over I had my two and never wanted anymore.
I had friends who sailed through it one of them had never had children, she never wanted any so I dont think that giving birth helps alleviate the symptoms we are all different and it affects women in different ways. Just glad that I dont have to take the pill anymore and that the dreaded periods have ended.
I know one thing however next time I come back it will be as a man.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Nah Carrie.
Coming back as a man?
We'd probably deal with even more problems then!Prostate problems and even more internal examinations to find that walnut sized gland?Male pattern baldness?Erectile dysfunction?
I don't think males have it any easier.
They just don't talk about it as much!It's a macho thing!

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:00 pm

I thought the supplements/HRT were for stopping various lady ailments like brittle bones etc? I did ask my doctor to be sterilised and he refused, saying I was too young, the knock on effect like brittle bones, early menopause etc... rather fortunate as I had 2 further children ...

Would add that I got pregnant with a coil so they gave me a new design which is coated with something reduced my periods to practically nothing, I know I may be due on because I get hungry oh drunk quite quickly. In my mind my mood does not change but this might not be true :o

ps If I came back as a man I am pretty sure I would have broken it by now :sd
It is what it is.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:31 pm

I had 2 live births/vaginal deliveries and breast fed both for close to a year. Was on the pill in my late teens & early 20ies but after having the 2 fairly close together (15 months apart) I used an IUD for years. Was terrific with no complications at all. Wasn't light nor was I heavy flow but then I wasn't really comparing me to others.

I have friends who have complained bitterly about memory loss, night sweats & hot flashes that has turned their days (and nights) literally into living hell for a few years.

Anyway - the 50ies are good years! Enjoy!!! Enjoy!!! Enjoy!!!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 pm

I also asked to be sterilised 10 years ago DS,and was refused.
I wasn't in relationship and doctor told me I wasn't suitable because "no sex=no babies!"
He wasn't willing to put me through surgery as method of birth control!
Thought it was a bit judgemental and condemned me to another 10years of monthly inconvenience.
I have friends who had hysterectomies at a youngish age.They're still on HRT and were prescribed it originally to protect their bones..they're older than me now.
They don't want to come off it,because once they do they will go through all the usual symptoms of menopause.
Been advised by GP that HRT doesn't really help women of "my age"going through natural process.
It would merely delay the symptoms...and they would all be waiting for me at the other end!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:17 pm

I had reached the point in African dance, where the dancer rather than to just follow the beat, exchanges energy with the drummer and can fly for hours. I was hanging under the ceiling of a steamy, badly ventilated gym hall in a municipal school on a very hot summerday. I had partied most of the night and gotten up early for a mix level weekend workshop.

Some women in their late fourties who were too self conscious to join an aerobic class stood in the back of the room and bounced a little in oversized black t-shirts and tights to get some exercise, while the more advanced of us would work very hard and get more energy back from the drums. I danced every day and would have years ahead of me of my African dance adventure. The drummers came straight from Africa and we knew each others from previous years. They were among the best and as more and more students gave up, it developed into a dialogue between me and the master drummer that made me wonderfully high before the break. There was little oxygene left in the room but lots of sweat, and I kept flying, lifted by and united with the drum.

:hot:

A woman at least fifteen years older than me had told me that she had not danced or done any exercise for several years and I admired her for taking this challenge. I was in a very good shape and worked for it, but as I landed, I may have sighed in the unbearable heat while I reached for a well deserved drink of water. She said:

”This is where you are supposed to say WELCOME!” ”Welcome to whom?”, I asked. ”To menopause! I sometimes sweat myself, but I don't fight it, we have to accept that we are getting older – welcome to the club.”

:mad:

I had worked up a good and healthy sweat at the age of THIRTY FOUR! I did not know when to expect what, and I still do not know what it is all about, but I am sure that if you bid it welcome – it will arrive! :clap2:

:witch:

A relative was exposing a little more flesh and underwear than I like to see at a Christmas table, and she said that she had no choice. ”Don't you get them?”, She asked, ”Hot flashes, of course!”

:water:

I honestly do not know. It is a little difficult to tell – when you live in the heat of Luxor.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I have friends who have complained bitterly about memory loss
:urm: Is there a word for that when it happens to men of a certain age? :ni:

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Forgive me for butting in ladies, but sterilisation - even a full tubal ligation - will not stop periods! Likewise, a hysterectomy won't stop the menopause. If the ovaries are removed, then the menopause happens immediately, but if not, menopause happens in due course.

Wills

Post by Wills » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm

I can't have HRT as i am prone to DVT's so it cold turkey for me.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Wills wrote:I can't have HRT as i am prone to DVT's so it cold turkey for me.
Or is that 'hot' turkey! ;)

I've never seriously looked in to HRT et but I understand that there are quite a lot of more natural (hmm what could be more natural than mare's urine - not a lot other than a women ingesting it) remedies/therapies available these days.
-Aldous Huxley

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Wills wrote:I can't have HRT as i am prone to DVT's so it cold turkey for me.

A case of 'grin and b(ar)e it' then, Wills? :lol: