Ladies and smoking.

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Ladies and smoking.

Post by Scottishtourist »

I've often thought of Egypt/Luxor as a "smokers paradise."
Cigarettes are relatively inexpensive and smoking is allowed almost anywhere.

However,I've very rarely seen Egyptian women smoking.None of my friends smoke cigarettes,and a few of the younger members of the family are now beginning to lecture me on the health risks,etc (albeit in a light-hearted manner.)
I was taken to another family home for lunch on my last visit...and was surprised when the auntie brought out a shisha pipe after lunch and invited me to join her.It's usually the men who will partake of a cigarette with me.

Is this unusual?Or am I just not seeing the lady smokers?
Is it considered "ungracious/disrespectful for Egyptian women to smoke?Or will they do it in private?
Are there any "stop smoking"campaigns/programmes running in Egypt,and thus women are being encouraged to stop or not to start due to the health risks?

Sorry to say that I'm sadly addicted to the old nicotine...but hoping to break the addiction one day(that old story again!)
Will I soon be in a minority in Luxor,much the same as I am in UK,lol.

Any views?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Ladies and smoking.

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It's probably more common than you would think. Some women will sneak cigarettes in the bathroom, on their balconies or when their husbands aren't home. Some even smoke sheesha openly in the house and rich girls sometimes smoke in sheesha cafes in Cairo, but it still isn't as common among women as it is among men and certainly it is not done in public or the streets and I doubt the numbers that do it are anywhere near the men.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

I have been in a couple of family homes where the women have smoked shisha and was recently in a cafe in luxor where there was a group of women sharing a shisha and they looked like they were having a lovely 'ladies night out'.
Not really noticed or thought about cigarettes to be honest, so not really noticed.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I've seen women smoking shisha in the coffee houses, either with other women or in mixed company. I have also seen on one occasion a woman hawking out her throat after a long drag. Never seen a woman smoking a cig in public, but I do know that my friends sister takes a crafty drag when her husbands not around. When she visits here, the first thing she does is help herself to my cigs. Its quite common so I'm told, for women to have their own small shisha in the house. As a general observation I have seen a lot more children smoking cigs over the last three years on the streets. The Government here does engage in anti smoking campaigns, but to know avail. There are a lot more restaurants now that do not allow smoking, both Egyptian and European. A lot of the local buses will not allow passengers to lite up any more. I have even seen no smoking signs going up in the local shops that was unheard of three years ago. :cg Enjoy :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

My friend lost some cigarettes at a hotel in Aswan, as soon as they knew the cleaner was a woman they were convinced she had not taken them as being a woman does not smoke! but hey there are also not any gay Egyptians either :st

I have seen my friends mother partake of the shisha quietly out of sight, she came back very mellow :tk
It is what it is.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have seen girls smoking the shesha in Cairo coffee shops and once saw an Egyptian girl smoking a cig in a coffee shop here in Luxor but she was sitting with her friend, male at the back and trying very hard not to be noticed. Also seen elderly ladies smoking home made sheesha in their homes. A friend of mine who is married, male, would never dream of smoking in his family home in front of his Dad, he goes in the street to have one.
When the photo's of the results of smoking first appeared on cigarette packs here in Egypt there was a roaring trade done in cardboard boxes that you could put the packet of cigarettes in so as not to see the picture. Out of sight out of mind.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Lisak wrote:I ... and was recently in a cafe in luxor where there was a group of women sharing a shisha and they looked like they were having a lovely 'ladies night out'.
Ditto, at Sindbads last week.

Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

I too am an addict of the ole Tobacco sticks. TSK! TSK!, I know, me being in the health profession an all!
I do not smoke at work, and I make 10 ciggies last 3 weeks, and if i need puff in between I have a vapour inhalator with peach Scnapps flavour juice!
I do smoke more whilst in Luxor, I think this is because I am away from all the day to day rigmaroles of my life here and just chill out more, and have much more time to partake of the weed there! (obviously the price does factor in!)
The ladies of my family here do not smoke ciggies, but on the odd occassion will settle down with an Apple Shisa, and puff away to their hearts content. Not in front of the men folk, they retire to the coutyard out the back.
They still keep on at me to stop. T'Other half used to smoke, not in front of his Father though! He is an Ex-smoker...........and how I know it!!!! on and on, and on and on and on about the evil weed, and how he was so clever to kick habit, and how bad it is that I still spark up! I do admire those who have given up tobacco, I really do, but I hate the way it gives them the red light to hound me!! and make me feel like the evilest thing to walk on two legs!
I do not smoke in side the house, never have, it stems from when I have the kids and on a bad day of tantrums, toilet roll unravelling, fighting etc, I would retire to the bottom of the garden behind the rabbit hutch and sneak a calming ciggie and coffee before the next battles began! My Family always follow me out and say "you can smoke in here with us!" and I always move away from the house completely if there are children around.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Maakari - OMG - you're stretching that few ciggies to that length of time! (Just quit! :up :up )

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Maakari wrote:I do admire those who have given up tobacco, I really do, but I hate the way it gives them the red light to hound me!! and make me feel like the evilest thing to walk on two legs!
Surely that should be the green light! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Maakari - OMG - you're stretching that few ciggies to that length of time! (Just quit! :up :up )
... or maybe she is not counting the number that she cadges from others? ;) ;) ;)

Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Yep, you are right Brian! that should read GREEN light! (smokers dyslexia!)
Nope, I don't cadge from other people, coz where other people smoke (eg Huddled in corners away from the hospital) I do not go, and at home I am the one and only! I just like to know I have those 10 ciggies stashed away for when I fancy one!. If we go out from work for a shindig or meal, a lot of my collegues, if they see me go for ciggy are shocked,they say we have known you 20 years and did'nt know you smoked!
But as I said..............In Luxor I seem to turn into a chain smoking machine! I never buy any ciggies to take home either, I just bring couple of packets of Cleopatras for a doctor friend who likes the odd puff!
Yes, It should seem at my low UK intake of Nicotine, that I could kick the habit, but I must be like a dieter, just keep that odd bar of chocolate in reserve for a rainy day! I f I want one it is there, if I am good do not touch it!